PDA

View Full Version : Tranny problem, no 1st gear

BikeSwimLaugh
01-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Guys,

Sorry to post this here but the Honda 90TRX section is slow. I have a 400EX but this problem is with my daughter's '07 TRX90...we have all the gears but no 1st gear. When the quad is in neutral and we kick it down, nothing happens, it's like there's no gear there. We have all the other gears neutral up, just no 1st gear....and yes, the lever isn't bent or anything inhibiting it from full travel downward. One day my daughter said "I cant' get it into 1st gear" and that was the end of it.

Dealer says it'll likely cost about $800 to $900 to fix and I paid about that for the quad (used) so I guess it's not worth fixing. Any ideas?

Thanks
-Steve

LxMxL97
01-30-2014, 06:46 AM
I would say it's either a broken gear but I doubt it bc there's not very much power there to break anything or maybe a bent shifting fork don't take my word for it though bc I don't have any experience with that bike

DragonGunner
01-30-2014, 02:07 PM
I had one for my kids....been awhile but i thought the gears were all up, and all down...? My guess if its like you say, it got kicked shifted while running hard and damaged a shift fork. Buy a manual for it and tear the thing down yourself. Or just get use to starting out in second gear.

LxMxL97
01-30-2014, 02:20 PM
You can find downloadable service manuals online for free if you wanna Buy one

Longdong
01-30-2014, 06:57 PM
You can buy a motor off eBay for $300 to $500. Just something to think about.

BikeSwimLaugh
01-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Hey guys,

Well, this has an embarrassing but inexpensive, happy & easy ending. See, my daughter told me she couldn't get 1st gear when she kicked it down and all my life I've had bikes/quads that have 1st gear below neutral (and the rest of the gears above it). I just took her word for it as she doesn't ride anything else. You can imagine my embarrassment when the Service Mechanic told me all the gears are above neutral and there's nothign wrong with the quad.....SO THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH HER QUAD.

In my defense, along with what I explained above, I did do a search on the Internet for the 90's gear shift pattern and the source I hit did say 1st, neutral, 2nd, 3rd, 4th....so along with what my daughter said and the info I found on the Internet, the mistake is marginally dismissable. I also have a fair share of motored toys so it's hard to keep it all straight. We bought this thing new about 3 years ago and it's hardly been ridden...that and being a Honda I should have known better! :)

Thanks for the help
-Steve

MtnEX
02-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Well that's great news!

BikeSwimLaugh
02-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Yeah, not too often do stories end this happily or easily....