PDA

View Full Version : Needle bearing removal (linkage)

Drifterboy3
01-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Hey guys I have a GTT rear link for a 400 we'll I went to check the bearings and the middle is pretty rusted. So I know I can get the bearings new. Tips for removal though? Will an old socket with an extension work. Or is it easier to send it out?

chronicsmoke
01-23-2014, 01:04 PM
remove the seals, soak the link in PB blaster or WD or something and then get a socket that is almost the same OD as the needle bearing and pound them out and clean the holes out VERY good with a wire brush before installing the new ones.

Freeze your new needle bearings for at least an hour before installation and make sure the link is room temperature or a little warmer, (also add grease to the bearing before installation). The frozen needle bearing will slip right in when it shrinks from the cold. Make sure you DO NOT pound the needle bearings in as they are very fragile compared to a carrier bearing. I use a vice or hydraulic press to do mine

Drifterboy3
01-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Good news and some bad.
Good - got the first one out.
Bad- there are some scratches in the linkage. Like inside the channle. Should I be worried about this?
Also is there a trick to getting these centered? Or just press little by little and check?

CJM
01-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Are we talking big scratches? Like deep? I wouldnt worry if they arent like gouges.

If you have a vise, the easiest thing to do is to press the bearing in using that.

Drifterboy3
01-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Are we talking big scratches? Like deep? I wouldnt worry if they arent like gouges.

If you have a vise, the easiest thing to do is to press the bearing in using that.
It's actually the link I got from you about a year ago. No the scratches are pretty minimal after getting the other two out I realize they were all as hard as the first to do. I didn't know of the scratches could have hung up the first one.

CJM
01-23-2014, 07:04 PM
It's actually the link I got from you about a year ago. No the scratches are pretty minimal after getting the other two out I realize they were all as hard as the first to do. I didn't know of the scratches could have hung up the first one.

Yea, i never changed out those bearings the entire season I used it. Might have become hung up when trying to get it out. Im sure it will be fine :)

Finally getting around to putting it on?

Drifterboy3
01-23-2014, 07:27 PM
No I ran it all last season. But I pulled my carrier out to check those bearings and figured I'd check the linage while I was at it and it need replaced so I am

CJM
01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
No I ran it all last season. But I pulled my carrier out to check those bearings and figured I'd check the linage while I was at it and it need replaced so I am
Glad it worked out for ya :) Those bearings lasted a long time lol.

CJM
01-23-2014, 07:50 PM

CJM
01-23-2014, 07:50 PM

Drifterboy3
01-27-2014, 04:47 PM
alright to anyone else that may be reading this. i used an 11/16 socket fit snug down in the hole with a 3" extension. then drilled a 1" hole in a piece of would, center the bearing over the hole in the wood, then take a hammer ( i used a 3lb sledge) and drive them out. reinstalling them i used the same socket and pressed them in with a wimple bench vice. hope this helps someone!!