PDA

View Full Version : 1986 250r electrical problem

dustin250r312
01-21-2014, 01:55 AM
i have a 250r that ive had for awhile now when i first bought it was running fine for awhile and afterwards it wouldn't want to start we ended built around the motor putting a airstriker carb on it and it would start but bog out for it to idle i would have to give it a little bit of gas but then it would just bog out i was told it wasnt getting enough spark and that it could be a cdi problem or spark plug coil or possibly bad switch and to put a killswitch on it im only 19 years old and dont know alot about this kinda stuff any help would really be great

hondaREX
01-21-2014, 06:45 AM
There are electrical tests in the repair manual for the stator and coil. I ran into a similiar problem,found my piston had a hole in it, just off center. I could look into the spark plug hole and not see the hole in the piston. When i removed the head, there the hole was. It was causing the quad to not start, go figure, but would pop start but not have any acceleration. I chased all the usual electrical and fuel problems before tearing the motor open. Good luck. Keep us posted

dustin250r312
01-21-2014, 01:05 PM
i wouldnt have thought of that but idk if thats it cuz we had the top part off and it was a freshly rebuilt motor probably had less than 10 hours on it but ill have to double check that and see thank you

hondaREX
01-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Not exactly what I would have expected either but sometimes you need to go back to the basics. It's an engine. It needs spark, fuel/air and compression. I never thought to check compression.

dustin250r312
01-21-2014, 08:28 PM
i had it off today and couldnt find a crack or anything it has great compression but idk what could be causing the problem

skraut
01-22-2014, 04:04 PM
tough to say, cause you may be having carb issues, but the first thing electrical to go on these is the stator, they can test fine according to the manual specs but still be bad...........id try bolting in a known to be good stator and try that first

dustin250r312
01-22-2014, 06:08 PM
it use to have carb problems but we bought a airstriker carb and had it professionally done but my dad had a new stator and still didnt work it likes to flood itself out it doesnt seem like it gets enough spark at all and i dont want to dump a bunch of money in it that i dont have to right now

skraut
01-22-2014, 08:01 PM
OEM stator or aftermarket?? floats sticking? are you using a NEW plug? Is the plug cap good, and screw in wire well? is ground to frame good, like clean conection to bare metal on frame?

dustin250r312
01-22-2014, 08:34 PM
floats not sticking at all only use the carb once and that was the day we got it and brand new plug in it right now and everything is oem other than carb and the onle thing dirty is the wiring harness where everything connects its all apart right now till i can fix the problem then try to figure out where everything goes

skraut
01-22-2014, 08:52 PM
the harnesses are getting old and brittle, could have a wire breaking apart or bad connector.....I would take harness off, clean very well, and inspect every inch and plug

DnB_racing
01-25-2014, 08:04 AM
the harnesses are getting old and brittle, could have a wire breaking apart or bad connector.....I would take harness off, clean very well, and inspect every inch and plug

as long as the harness has been covered with (tape or wrapping) the wires will last almost forever, its when they are exposed to the direct sunlight they they will start to crack,

most times the problem is the connections themselves ....there is a way to check them,,,,use a flashlight and look through the connectors and look for dark or yellowed spots indicating heat
and heat means resistance, and high resistance means a poor path for the electricity to flow which in turn makes more heat, and more resistance,,and so on and so on

FYI there have been numerous studies that have shown more then 95% of ALL electrical failures are the direct result of bad connections at the point of termination

to the OP: are you sure your kicking it over hard enough to see if your getting a good spark, its something like 700-800 rpms if I remember correctly