PDA

View Full Version : swingarm pivot nut size?

MtnEX
01-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Sorry house internet is down. In the shed on my phone freezing here.

Right side is 17mm left side is larger than 19mm.
My other tools are over with my race quad.
So what size is the nut on the left side?
I ain't too good at guessing.

Gotta run over and get snap ring pliers for the brake stay anyways.
THANKS!

deathman53
01-19-2014, 12:16 PM
on side is 17mm, 19mm or 22mm(depends on if stock or aftermarket and who makes the bolt), I have all types on my quads/trikes. The other side is 22mm and it is a 14mm1.5 pitch thread, you may need to a rethreading or cutting die how bad you mess it up when trying to remove the bolt.

MtnEX
01-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Ain't started yet. Minimal tools in my shed. I just knew 19mm was the biggest socket I had and had no idea what size to go get.

Stickman400
01-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Yea, I'm pretty sure the stock nut is 22mm as deathman said.

deathman53
01-20-2014, 02:42 AM
a 7/8 socket works just as good also

MtnEX
01-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Sure was a 22mm.

Came off with a pipe and 1/2" drive ratchet.

Also got the bolt itself turning with a small ratchet and 17mm... but turning is all it is doing. I put a nut on the end of the threads and gave it a few love taps. It didn't budge but I didn't lay into it. I am not sure what seizes up, so I wanted to be careful and not crack a case or nothing.

All I have "seen" is that there appears to be a collar between the right swinger pivot and the engine case that is spinning with the bolt.

I put some more PB blaster to it and walked away.................

MtnEX
01-20-2014, 11:48 AM
I guess I should add the swinger skid is sitting on a block as I am doing the carrier bearings.

I was thinking about load on the bolt too and what would put the least load on it. Shock off and sitting on a stand on the belly skid?

deathman53
01-20-2014, 07:55 PM
what happens is the swingarm bolt seizes(rusts) to collars in the swingarm and it is very hard to remove the bolt. Atleast yours turns, I seen one so bad it wouldn't even turn. Bolt was seized to collars and was oxidized(dissimilar metal seizing) where it went through to the motor. Sadly, it may come to be your only choice is cut the bolt at either side of the swingarm, then press out the collars and then bearings. its not pretty or easy either way.

MtnEX
01-20-2014, 08:33 PM
The collars on the bolt that the bearings ride on?

There's a part over the bolt between the swinger and case I can see is spinning.