PDA

View Full Version : What should I do

Dritto
01-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Iron oxide's appearance gets worse every day (obviously), and I don't know how I should deal with it. As I have no chance of powder coating, because I live in a very small country, and I'm probably the only one here to have a powder coat system, but still no chance of fitting it into my oven. Touch up isn't enough because it's showing up on many various areas, and most probably on areas I can't see. Is spray painting really worth it? I'm planning to keep her for many years, and I don't want to take her apart more than once, because I don't have the time. So, what cons will I get with wet paint over PC? Is it worth to send the frame to the UK with a vessel, and I'll pick it up next time I get there, to get it powder coated?

Do you think it's time to take it apart now, or is it safe to wait?

jcs003
01-18-2014, 03:27 PM
strip it and paint it. the correct paint can hold up well in many conditions.

also, it is important to take it apart annually (at the least) to inspect/lube and or replace bearings and bushings.

john

LxMxL97
01-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Your frame isn't to bad but I painted mine and it holds up pretty well just make sure you do plenty of layers and use clear coat

2001400exrida
01-18-2014, 05:22 PM
i've found the best way to stop the spread and prevent rust like this is to wipe the frame and other metal parts down with wd40. After i wash my quad and let it dry i always make sure to run it around the yard to get all the water and out of the small areas. Theni come back and wipe it down with wd40. sounds like a mess but it really helps keep the rust away.

Dritto
01-19-2014, 07:36 AM
What's the best paint to use? And how much longer does PC last?

CJM
01-19-2014, 06:48 PM
PC is about 10x better than paint. Harder to scratch and damaged and MUCH thicker. If you want to try paint, I suggest you scrape off what you can with a wire brush and spray with rustoleum rust reformer. Then topcoat with whatever paint you want. I recall smoke gray is a close match to stock.

I use the rustoleum on my pick up trucks chassis, very little rust for almost a 20 year old truck.

LxMxL97
01-19-2014, 10:53 PM
There wasn't a specific paint I use I just don't buy the cheap stuff buy a name brand and you will be good

Dritto
01-21-2014, 10:28 AM
PC is about 10x better than paint. Harder to scratch and damaged and MUCH thicker. If you want to try paint, I suggest you scrape off what you can with a wire brush and spray with rustoleum rust reformer. Then topcoat with whatever paint you want. I recall smoke gray is a close match to stock.

I use the rustoleum on my pick up trucks chassis, very little rust for almost a 20 year old truck.

Use a wire brush? I will sandblast it down to metal, and I have a spray booth and a gun.

I meant which type of paint, like car bodywork paint or ships paint.

CJM
01-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Use a wire brush? I will sandblast it down to metal, and I have a spray booth and a gun.

I meant which type of paint, like car bodywork paint or ships paint.

I had no idea you were going to go all out. Id use industrial type tractor paint of some kinda, more heavy duty the better.

2001400exrida
01-22-2014, 07:17 AM
get a good clear coat on it too if you're going the paint route. as said before i don't think you'll have any issue with powder coating that's probably the best option for you and you can get almost any color you want.

LxMxL97
01-22-2014, 07:46 AM
get a good clear coat on it too if you're going the paint route. as said before i don't think you'll have any issue with powder coating that's probably the best option for you and you can get almost any color you want.

Powdercoating isn't redially available to him