PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Predator 90 runs but won't move.... Any ideas?

KyHeadhunter1
01-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Hello all, I am Jim and I'm new here. I don't know much about working on these mini atvs but I have worked on about everything else under the sun....lol.

My son has a Polaris Predator 90 that was built in 12 of 2003. Its two stroke with the oil injection and its belt drive. It starts right up like normal and will sit there and idle smooth. When my 95 lb. son gets on the machine and hits the gas it just sits there and "humms" but don't move. The engine tries to rev up but don't. Nothing is locked up in the rear end, if you put the bike on a jack the rear axle turns fine and also, if I give him a push it will move and try to go but will stop when he hits a hill. If he stays on level ground and gets some rpm up, it will carry him along like normal. So I guess the most accurate way I can describe the problem is to say that if it were a manual shift (like my old Honda Fourtrax) his quad is like locked in 4th or 5th gear. The problem seemed to come on all at once too. Any ideas? Is there a way the belt drive can get stuck in "high gear"?

I appreciate any and all replies in advance! Thanks, Jim

wickestangwv
01-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Replace the belt, and torque spring it could be either of those. It also could be the clutch worn out and not engaging all the way.

lon
01-13-2014, 11:14 AM
check the variator/rollers

KyHeadhunter1
01-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Thank you both for the quick replies! I found a parts diagram on the net today and I am going to tear it apart this weekend for a look. Thanks, Jim.

redonkulousruntsracing
01-16-2014, 10:54 AM
If its never been cracked open, then for sure the rollers, belt and torque spring are whooped. Most of us racers replace the torque spring after each race. Weigh your rollers to see how many grams they are and replace those items and the thing will rip, your son wont believe its the same quad after riding it on worn out parts for so long.

KyHeadhunter1
01-18-2014, 09:55 PM
By rollers do you mean bearings??

wickestangwv
01-20-2014, 05:38 AM
He's speaking of the rollers in the variator . Basically the front pulley on the clutch.