PDA

View Full Version : Suspension & Valves

HondaRacing83
01-12-2014, 04:07 PM
I got 2 questions. First can i tweak the stock suspension some for my personal preference? Seems like it either sits high in the rear or low in the front.
2nd when i got my 450 in november the guy told me it would be a good idea to have the valves adjusted soon. I havnt really had a chance to ride but if tey do need adjusted i wanna get it done but how do i know they need done? Its not like my old 400 where it would tick if they needed done so i have no clue

CJM
01-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Gotta measure the valves and shim them if needed. how to adjust 450r valves (http://www.garyhott.com/valves.html) You can buy a hotcams shim kit for about 60 bucks which will have all the sizes you could ever want.

Adjust the preload to adjust the ride height. Follow this guide concerning ride height. (http://derisiracing.com/home/suspension/suspension-design)

HondaRacing83
01-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Theres no way to know if they need adjusted without tearing into the motor? What happens if i just leave it go will it grenade?

KKiowaTJ
01-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Better safe than sorry. But if its getting hard to start, From what I have read on 450's, They need adjusted.

coryatver
01-12-2014, 10:05 PM
On 400ex's the valves loosen. Thats why you hear the ticking.

450rs valves tighten not loosen. Specifically the intake valves. When they get tight, it makes it hard to start. That is when you know they need adjusted. You won't hurt anything running it until it gets hard to start. Once it starts getting hard to start get new valves put in or you will end up also having to replace the starter clutch from trying to get it to start.

The valves have a hardened layer on them. When they get to the point they need adjusted, they have wore through this hardened layer. You really should replace the valves if they need adjusted because they will wear right down very fast after adjusting and need adjusted again.

On top of the springs on the shocks there are collars. You turn these to change the ride height. tighten them down to raise the ride height. Loosen to lower. Measure from right in front of the foot pegs at the bottom of frame to ground. and then measure in the front right behind a-arms before the frame starts sloping up bottom of frame there to ground. This is with you sitting on it. Front should be half inch higher than back.

CJM
01-12-2014, 10:12 PM
As already explained, harder it gets to start the more likely you need to shim them. All you gotta do is remove the valve cover, 3 bolts to get to them. Get the manual online at the org and it explains it all. Its really not that hard a job, just takes some math and measuring to figure it out.

Also if your going to replace them get some ferrea steel valves, dont even bother with the titanium and DO NOT buy kibblewhites-they like to snap b/c they arent 1 piece like the ferrea's.

01boneless
01-22-2014, 07:42 PM
best thing you can do for stocks shocks is have them re valved at a reputable place like jet .As for the valves just yank your valve cover and check the clearances when they get bad enough it wont start unless u bump start it. intakes wear like candy on Hondas.

2001400exrida
01-23-2014, 07:10 AM
long as it's not hard to start then you really don't need to bother with the valves. As mentioned on these things they tighten up when they go out of adjustment. If you don't have trouble getting it started and if it runs normal don't bother with the valves until needed. I agree with getting SS valves too, they will last longer.

Lquad71
01-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Keep your air filter clean before every ride. Learn how to properly clean and oil a filter and this will greatly increase the life of your valves and keep them from going out of adjustment as fast. Also if you happen to get a valve spring compressor you will be able to tell if your valves need replacement or not. The sealing face of the valve will be cupped out, which causes the valve to move into the seat thus making the valves clearances tighter. Stainless valves are more economical as they can get a regrind as long as its not too damaged. Once a Ti valve is done then it is done and the cost for Ti valves are significantly higher. If you arent racing in higher classes you wont need Ti valves. Service your air filter and oil often and you will have a solid bike for a very long time.