PDA

View Full Version : Burgard's New Long Travel A-arms

ZRacer
03-21-2003, 12:39 AM
Here is a Pic of his New A-arms. They come with encapsulated ball joints that are fully rebuildable. Also, the ball joints are equipped with grease jerks. They are camber and caster adustable. Finally, they are +3". But, may be available in +2".

Pappy
03-21-2003, 12:52 AM
i see how it is....you were holdin that pic from me:o ill get one up on ya....ill have a set before YOU:blah

YLW400
03-21-2003, 01:33 AM
Those are nice arms!!!!

440ex kid
03-21-2003, 02:00 AM
Those are nice lookin. Whats the price and are they out yet?

Pappy
03-21-2003, 02:03 AM
they are out and available thru burgard only...for pricing you would have to call him or look in the new atvsport....he has an ad in there.

boogiechile
03-21-2003, 02:39 AM
Those are nice looking arms but one thing I would consider on them is the camber adjustment. With encaped spherical bearings on top and bottom the only way to adjust camber is with the heims at the frame end of the upper arm. These also adjust caster and a caster change will effect camber. It can be done but it is much trickier to get it right and more of the heim threads may be required. When a spherical bearing is mounted in a collar type boss on the bottom but a heim or threaded in ball joint is used on top, you can set the caster with the frame end heims and then set the camber with the threaded top joint without messing up the caster. Much easier to set up. Just a thought, but they are good looking arms.

Quadfather
03-21-2003, 02:42 AM
Nice grease jerks.:eek2:

Pappy
03-21-2003, 02:42 AM
ya got me dude....i install them and ride:D i let those that design and know this stuff worry about how they work. :p

Pappy
03-21-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Quadfather
Nice grease jerks.:eek2:

hah yeah where are they:confused: i believe they are on the underside and not seen in the pic

03-21-2003, 03:08 AM
why cant ya grease the lower ons at frame mount???:confused:

Pappy
03-21-2003, 03:24 AM
not sure dave....i dunno what model is even in the pic:p i know with 400 frame ya have to notch the frame for the grease zerks to clear on just about any aftermarket arms:(

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-21-2003, 04:08 AM
Wow, I'm impressed! :eek2:

spud400ex
03-21-2003, 04:16 AM
the burgard lt a-arms are $1900.00 with fully adjustable elkas.

boogiechile
03-21-2003, 09:13 AM
ya got me dude....i install them and ride i let those that design and know this stuff worry about how they work.

Yea but on a arms like that setting the caster and camber is part of installing them. It would be harder to set on those than the type with a threaded top joint, and there would not be as much adjustabilty there.

OutlawEX
03-21-2003, 10:58 AM
Looks good

03-21-2003, 01:43 PM
yeah they look good ,..too many riders fall for looks ...when the reason for buying aftermarket should be function

Big - D Racing
03-21-2003, 10:29 PM
clean looking, but they don't look that strong to other long travel arms, where are the king pins? Looks like small chromoly tubing (maybe it's just the pic) for $1900 I'd much rather go with Herrmann's long travel and elkas,

Mxbubs
03-22-2003, 03:23 AM
Boogiechile, those are FULLY adjustable a-arms.

Nice a-arms, but like that other guy said, the tubing OD looks little slim.

03-22-2003, 05:54 AM
i like arms ya can adjust on the quad ,.. w/o removing em ;)

boogiechile
03-22-2003, 06:15 AM
Mxbubs,
I know they are fully adjustable, but both camber and caster have to be adjusted at the frame mount heims. If a threaded top ball joint is used it gives camber adjustment and the frame heims are used primarily for caster. It is then much easier to set up.

Read what I wrote before I never said they were not fully adjustable.

Those are nice looking arms but one thing I would consider on them is the camber adjustment. With encaped spherical bearings on top and bottom the only way to adjust camber is with the heims at the frame end of the upper arm. These also adjust caster and a caster change will effect camber. It can be done but it is much trickier to get it right and more of the heim threads may be required. When a spherical bearing is mounted in a collar type boss on the bottom but a heim or threaded in ball joint is used on top, you can set the caster with the frame end heims and then set the camber with the threaded top joint without messing up the caster. Much easier to set up. Just a thought, but they are good looking arms.

ZRacer
03-24-2003, 02:28 AM
Well, I see there have been several questions raised from my post.

"2-R's Rider" & QuadFatber
1. Yes, the BALL JOINTS are equipped with Grease Jerks, but they don't show up in the picture. Grease Jerks are available for the BUSHING's also, but the A-arms pictured don't have them because not everyone wants them because the frame will need to be modified for a 400EX unless they are placed underneath, which can cause problems with certain skid plates.

"2-R's Rider"
"yeah they look good ,..too many riders fall for looks ...when the reason for buying aftermarket should be function"

2. What doesn't look functional too you? I hit a tree doing 30mph this week square into the A-arm. The Stock Steering stem twisted like a Pretzel and the Burgard Tie-rods didn't even bend and the A-arms are perfect besides the chrome being scratched when it removed the bark from the tree.

"Mxbubs"
"Nice a-arms, but like that other guy said, the tubing OD looks little slim."

3. What does the OD of tubing prove? The thickness and metal grade are also important factors. Also, If it never breaks or bends why would you want to carry more weight? Also, these A-arms have been in testing for over one year before being made available to the public with out any breakages.

"2-R's Rider"
"i like arms ya can adjust on the quad ,.. w/o removing em"

4. Are you Crazy???? What would make you think you would have to remove them from the quad to adjust them??? Please don't comment if you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. Do you work on your Quad or does somebody else do it for you?

"boogiechile"
5. You made some good comments. Yes, some companies have a sperical bearing as the Ball Joint, but Burgard didn't design his that way because they wear out too fast for his liking. I personally don't have any experience with the durablity of a sperical ball joint, so I can't comment.

300exjuggalo
03-24-2003, 02:34 AM
SCHAAAWWWWEEEEEEET:D

boogiechile
03-24-2003, 02:53 AM
Zracer,
It appeared from the picture that these arms had a spherical bearing in the cup with a boot adapted to them(similar to Houser lower setup). If they are not can you describe the joints and how they mount (screw in or otherwise). Do you know the degrees of motion they have? How about the original application of these joints, do you know that?
Burgards replacement costs?
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions, but I am very curious about these arms. I really like these arms from the way they look and want to know more. I do like a threaded shaft type joint on the top for the extra adjustability that these dont have but there is a trade off in strength. How about the fit? Several people have told me that their Burgard arms did not fit good or not at all. Some have had to bend or grind them to get them to mount to the frame.

ZRacer
03-24-2003, 03:13 AM
I miss stated. I meant that the sperical bearing was enclosed in a rubber boot and not exposed to the elements like some others, which helps prevent them from wearing out as fast.

Burgard actually designed this setup himself, and is having most of the components manufactured specifically for him.

I don't personally know all the specs, but I remember him being excited about the how much travel the A-arms could have without binding. Give him a call at 717 225-6234. I will try to talk to him this week for the specs and post them.

Again, good questions boogiechile

I wish I had all the answers, but I try not to preach about something I don't know all the facts about.

I am a Racer before a Mechanic.

boogiechile
03-24-2003, 03:39 AM
thanks Zracer, Spherical bearings with seals and fittings is a good setup.

03-24-2003, 05:53 AM
I can see we got your attn.:D
Ok zracer ,to start with ..
If I was posting a pic of a new product (made by my sponsor)
I would get a pic with zerks in it to give accurate info ..
but of coarse this is up to you ;)
Also (from the pics ) its obvious these are adjustable ..(prior to installing them ) and most can see they must be (at least) removed form the frame at the upper mounts in order to make
further adjustments once they are installed
:confused: this make them adjustable w/o removing them ??
i don't think so ..:(
PS would you like to see some A-arms that are adjustable on the machine ?

03-24-2003, 08:46 AM
I think they look pretty damn sweet.. thumbs up to burgard

Sparks425Ex
03-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I think they look pretty damn sweet.. thumbs up to burgard

I agree.....:D

03-24-2003, 05:01 PM
You know what there are so many diff people making atv parts I get there is a lot of money in this stuff :rolleyes: :eek:

The only good thing I see is that there is more styles to choose from for us and maybe just maybe we could expect to see some more competitive prices as well, but I aint holding my breath.

These arms were not avail when I did the suspension so I didnt have the chance to evaluate them at all but since they do use ideas from from existing designs here are my thoughts.

A spherical bushing does not need to be lubricated if the correct liner is used, and they are avail cheap enough commercialy that replacement would be very reasonable compared to most things in our sprot.

The delrin or nylon type (I know there are other materials being used) bushings on the a-arms do need to be lubricated and after some use may even compress the bushing material which will allow the lube to create a "filled pocket" of grease for the assembly to ride on. Some bushings will compact more than others so this will vary with material used etc, But I would deff want grease zerks on these and would think drilling the skid to accept the grease gun etc would be as easy for anyone as it was for me.

I keep seeing so many designs that seem to try to get away from the upper rod end mount on the spindle and just cant understand why. I guess you get slightly more adjustabliity from using the 2 smaller or weaker rod ends to mount the top arm to the frame but for my taste the larger rod on spindle end is both my preference and and seemingly a stronger overall assembly.

Not sure how they are priced but if there lower than the others I would suggest taking a look at them cause they dont look all that bad (well not as bad as the push to talk them up here :D :blah ) and it seems this guy is starting to put out some good looking products.

I wouldnt be as concerned with the tubing size as I would the overall strength of the arms etc. I know many will say that the tube OD is relative to the strength but then you forgot about wall thickness and material etc and I cant see that from the pic.

Only one quote for now :)

I am a Racer before a Mechanic.
I cant wait to be saying that :D :macho

Foxrage
03-24-2003, 11:03 PM
How much for just the a-arms? Those thigs look sweet to me but im not the hardcore know it all either.

Pappy
03-25-2003, 01:21 AM
well i wont put in any opinions....but i did inspect them after the crash and they are still perfect. the stem is twisted like a pretzle....no damage to a arms or tie rods.

the upper mount isnt any different from what i can see then walsh....lsr and other "well known" builders arms are.

the grease zerk is available at the bushing if the customer so desires(not that hard to understand the concept there)

as far as being able to adjust them when they are on the quad....nice feature for sure...but not mandatory to make them very good a arms;) id rather have a set up that doesnt come loose every ride like other designs ive seen.( oops...its an opinion:eek: )

as far as price i believe the ad stated $725 for just the a arm package......but id have to look at the ad to double check.

all in all i think this company just stepped up a notch. very good design from what i can see. like 440ex4me said....just another choice:cool:

bmw500hp
03-25-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
all in all i think this company just stepped up a notch. very good design from what i can see. like 440ex4me said....just another choice:cool:

One thing's for certain, Burgard hasn't been sleeping all winter! Nice combination of features and options :) Someone is keeping eyes and ears open ;)

Mxbubs
03-25-2003, 04:53 AM
yada yada yada.

"thin tubing" was simply an observation.

haha.:D

monkeyboy
03-25-2003, 05:29 AM
He dont no nuttin,,good at flappin da chops is it..:macho

SlapNutz
03-25-2003, 06:25 AM
good stuff, i can get cuz to looc at the west cast port , but if thye arr3ent from nother countrie then we can look in USA and trade stuff.

2rs, how did u think they sucked, seems like bubby and 440ex donnt like them, but how would they have a clue with parts that good.:macho :mad: :ermm:

QuadTrix6
03-25-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by SlapNutz
good stuff, i can get cuz to looc at the west cast port , but if thye arr3ent from nother countrie then we can look in USA and trade stuff.

2rs, how did u think they sucked, seems like bubby and 440ex donnt like them, but how would they have a clue with parts that good.:macho :mad: :ermm:

:huh :huh

Extremeracer167
03-25-2003, 06:56 AM
wait a second, slapnutz just said something somewhat intelligent!!!!!:eek2: How are u sure that they arent quality? thats the feeling im getting from your replys:confused:

SlapNutz
03-25-2003, 07:11 AM
i dont like it wen 2r and bubby flap jaw and 440exme2

03-25-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by SlapNutz
i dont like it wen 2r and bubby flap jaw and 440exme2

ROFLMFAO

Pappy
03-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
How are u sure that they arent quality? thats the feeling im getting from your replys:confused:

dont worry extreme....look at who's posting more then whats posted....its the easiest way to figure out whats going on anymore:p

Extremeracer167
03-25-2003, 07:26 AM
I personally think they look like high quality! In fact if they really are 725 then they look like they would be worth it. Im running housers right now, they retail for 800 and they come with the poopy bushings in them. Atleast the ones Houser puts in them, i have 3 rides on them, and they were shot already.

Pappy
03-25-2003, 07:29 AM
just come over and take a look at them at SC;)

03-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by boogiechile
How about the fit? Several people have told me that their Burgard arms did not fit good or not at all. Some have had to bend or grind them to get them to mount to the frame.

Quality ??..well If some "high I-Q's" would reread
they will see it was never mentioned ... :macho
(but since we are on the subject)...someone did :devil
yes "who's posting " is certainly should be considered ..
maybe a billboard is in order:blah

monkeyboy
03-25-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"
Quality ??..well If some "high I-Q's would reread

Pappy
03-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"
Quality ??..well If some "high I-Q's" would reread

all this brilliance from some one who mentions IQ:D id offer you a shovel but i see you are using a backhoe to dig your hole...lmfao

Extremeracer167
03-25-2003, 10:41 AM
:eek2:

Well i think YOU need to re-read, because i simply stated thats the feeling i was getting. The Burgards just dont seem to be quality in your mind, and i was just wondering why u have this opinion.:rolleyes:

monkeyboy
03-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
:eek2:

Well i think YOU need to re-read, because i simply stated thats the feeling i was getting. The Burgards just dont seem to be quality in your mind, and i was just wondering why u have this opinion.:rolleyes:

shut it an quiit bein meen to peeple..:uhoh:

Guy400
03-25-2003, 01:30 PM
Smallnutz and Monkeyspunk, do you 2 bruvers hav Hookd-on-Foniks out der on da west coste? lmfao:D:D:D