PDA

View Full Version : GoPro hero ??

KKiowaTJ
01-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Just curious what the best gopro is? I seen the new hero3, But comes in white, Black, Silver etc. Is this the newest model? If so which one would you recommend for atv of course, But I also have a rock crawler and would like to use it there too.

Just looking for any opinions on, Well anything! I have never owned one, Never saw the need, But id like to stop up a bit and it always fun to hook up for friends if you eat chit lol or flop.

What do you like?

Thanks in advance, I have really no clue which one to get or anything related to it for that matter.

Thumpin440ex
01-09-2014, 02:29 AM
If your not worried about wifi and remote operation from your phone, the HERO 2 is all you need. You can snag them up for cheap. The newest ones are too much IMO. Just make sure you get a extra battery, a good SD card. Here is a vid i snagged on my boat with my old Hero HD, not even the 2, I can live with the quality when it is on 720. Just for a idea.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVq8fqBSkR8&feature=c4-overview&list=UU0kSj9ypwIk660M3iqRBRhg

John

chronicsmoke
01-09-2014, 07:34 AM
honeslty the more I use my Hero3 the more impressed I am with it.

this is a screenshot from a video, damn good quality and not blurry
http://imageshack.us/a/img13/4784/cfj2.jpg
and you can do neat stuff like this with the 3
http://imageshack.us/a/img694/3417/yyr5.jpg

If you don't need all the bells ans whistles thought he Hero2 is pretty damn good too.

Zakradu398
01-09-2014, 07:38 AM
That first pic made me LOL ^^

chronicsmoke
01-09-2014, 08:00 AM
That first pic made me LOL ^^

Haha it was a wild ride.. I'm still impressed I could stop the video and take a screenshot of that quality.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql_PcvevpY8

Zakradu398
01-09-2014, 08:03 AM
haha it was a wild ride.. I'm still impressed i could stop the video and take a screenshot of that quality.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql_pcvevpy8
ouch

2001400exrida
01-09-2014, 08:05 AM
the quality of video really hasn't changed it's just the gadgets and goodies that come along with it. As mentioned if you don't need fancy you will get great use out of a hero 2. I have an original hero that's a 720p 60fps and it still works great, but a 2nd battery was a must.

One thing to note is if you get into trails and tree branches and other crap it's worth getting a tether for it. I had mine come off one time and we spent 30 minutes and finally found it, i wasn't leaving until it was found! A tether in that situation would have been very helpful.

chronicsmoke
01-09-2014, 08:08 AM
I have the 1 and compared to the 3 the quality is ****. Yes they are the same resolution but resulution has nothing to do with light settings.

3 is worth the extra and the 2 is worth it over the 1. If you've never used a 2 or 3 you wont understand. I wouldn't buy a 1 if it were my money.

Ever try filming at night with a hero1? It SUCKS

ish416
01-09-2014, 09:54 AM
I prefer the Contour+2 to any of the GoPro's. Except for underwater filming.

To me, the Contour gives more accurate colors and is easier to use (mounting and aiming). Also, the GPS stuff it does is nice.

Here is a video/audio quality comparison between the GP Hero 3 Black, Contour+2, Sony Action Cam and GP Hero 2.

http://www.camera1200.com/2012/11/gopro-hero-3-black-vs-contour2-vs-sony.html

chronicsmoke
01-09-2014, 11:12 AM
To me, the Contour gives more accurate colors and is easier to use (mounting and aiming). Also, the GPS stuff it does is nice.[/url]

Hardest thing about using a helmet mounted GoPro is aiming it! It's really frustrating when you go to watch the footage and your watching the sky or the handle bars!

The GPS feature on the contour is also pretty badass, I wish I had that for skiing/snowboarding

Didn't contour go out of business recently though? I thought I read that somewhere but could be confused with something else, lol.

2001400exrida
01-09-2014, 11:17 AM
yup aiming the gopro is a huge chore, if you have the lcd on the back you can have somebody get it just perfect, but hte only way i was successful was to get it aimed and tighten the snot out of the knobs so it never moved.

CJM
01-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Friend has a hero3, its ok but I honestly find it most annoying to setup and use. The function buttons suck and aiming it sucks worse since you have no clue what your gonna see until the end.

I tried a drift HD the other day and liked it alot better. Only stinky part is it is larger and harder to mount. But its ALOT easier to use and you can aim it since it has a built in video screen.

tbrackman84
01-09-2014, 08:06 PM
I have the Countour ROAM HD. It is so simple to use and east to mount and aim. There are literally 2 buttons on the camera, one to turn it on, another to turn a red aiming laser on to make sure its aimed the way you want. Here are 2 videos I made with it, just so you can see the quality.

P.S. i got it on amazon a year ago for $90.00 :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eaOELMd8Ow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcYvamXxghs

KKiowaTJ
01-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies, Great info!

Tether cord is what I was always curious about? I ride tight trails that we would like to clear, But they are on the dark side, Dense woods. Id be pissed if I got back and is ?? But any arm tether I can make work.

Since I have never owned one, I don't think a 3 is for me. Too many bells and whistles for me and I have no clue as to how the work in the first place lol. I think a hero2 would be my best bet for ease of use, Aim, Battery and film quality.

The contour would be iffy, I do some water sports, But see more support for a gopro. Replacement parts etc.

I live in BFE and you got a pretty mouth, The best 'quality' that don't take a day to buffer and still freeze, Is 480p. You have a choice of crap or poop, We have tried it all. If it wasn't for the 'extra battery' the og would work. But I think the middle of the road, Not too technical and will show up a tad brighter in the trails I ride.

Thanks for the replies and help

mxquad53
01-09-2014, 09:59 PM
I have the hero3+ black edition, its way better then the hero3 white edition i had. The 3+ has a wide angle view and is very easy to aim and set up then the older models, it also has all the bells and whistles. Like the other guys said, just pick up a older model you can find them pretty cheap now days.

beastlywarrior
01-09-2014, 10:04 PM
The wifi is great as you can control it with a remote or your phone. You can also see what's being recorded with the phone too

mxquad53
01-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Yeah the gopro app is a good tool, you can check the aiming of the camera before you start recording.

400man
01-10-2014, 08:03 AM
Can you mount one of these cameras on your handle bars, or somewhere on the bike?

one of my buddies bought one and first time he used it at a xc race it got knocked off and he lost it for good. if I ever get me a camera Id just hate to lose it like that.

2001400exrida
01-10-2014, 08:07 AM
http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/camera-tethers?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CM_VjKzx87sCFdE-MgodQQMALg

you can mount them virtually anywhere, they have mounts for handlebars, bumpers, frames, etc. But to be safe i think the tether is a wise investment. or make your own tether it wouldn't take much.

chronicsmoke
01-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Can you mount one of these cameras on your handle bars, or somewhere on the bike?

one of my buddies bought one and first time he used it at a xc race it got knocked off and he lost it for good. if I ever get me a camera Id just hate to lose it like that.

I've mounted mine to my handle bars, grab bar, bumper, nerf bars, a-arms and fenders. All I use for a tether is a shoelace. I just got the app for the 3 that lets you see what the camera sees and you can set up the angle that way and have it perfect every time.

My buddy said he got one for Xmas last year and lost it on the chairlift the first day he used it and when he went down to get it it was gone.. :eek2:

alanbmx
01-10-2014, 09:01 PM
I have mounted mine on my helmet, grab bar, bumper, nerfs facing fwd and back, and my chest protector, Helmet view is the best. Mounting it on your quad vibrates a lot and can break the mount on the housing and cause the camera to shut down. You cannot even get the hero, gopro 2, and the go pro 3 will only be around til they run out, the 3+ is in production. The 3+ white is like the go pro 2, and only $199 and it will do allot, the 3+ silver is amazing and will do everything 90% of customers will want. You have to buy the class 10 pro SD micro cards for them, other cards will create problems. The cameras are amazing and frustrating at the same time, they do stupid stuff and you miss things you thought you were taping but they are the best action cam out there and the other brands have quirks as well. as far as aiming them with the 3 and 3+ combined with the smart phone app you can see where it is pointing, I put my helmet on and look at myself in the reflection of my truck window and make sure the cam is not pointed too far up or down. DO NOT BUY a USED ONE, these things get beat up and some have problems from the start, get a new one and have fun. I love my 3 black want a 3+ too

Stickman400
01-12-2014, 12:35 AM
I have the Hero2 and am wanting to get the 3 when funds will allow just for the extra bells and whistles that it comes with. The 2 is definitely a good middle of the road camera, good quality at a decent price. I'll prolly be selling my 2 when I get around to buying a 3. Don't know when you were wanting to buy one but mines in brand new condition. It's actually a new replacement that I got the end of last year when my old one took a ****. Got every mount they sell for it and both the battery and LCD screen.

EDIT: Haven't been on in a week and didn't see your other thread until after I posted that. Suck to hear your luck with the rims. If you ever do end up wanting one again lmk, I may still have mine.

KKiowaTJ
01-12-2014, 02:47 AM
Just keep me in mind when you do step up and shoot me a pm first. Never know and my phone is working fine and can for a while extra lol.