PDA

View Full Version : Proper method to check oil?

Blodg
01-06-2014, 12:26 PM
I see a discrepancy. In OZ-T's thread about his new 400 he was given advice to let the quad sit for a few min after warmup before checking the oil. I looked in the sticky section and didn't see anything on this so I thought I would start a thread to discuss.

When I read the advice in the thread mentioned above I thought they were wrong. But I looked at the 2002 400EX manual that I had downloaded off the web a while back and sure enough it says:
1) level ground
2) warmup for 5 min (extra 5 min if below 50 deg F)
3) stop engine
4) after a few minutes remove dipstick, wipe, and check oil level

This does agree with most of the advice I have seen on here. It is not correct, however, according to my manual! My 2006 manual does not say to wait a few minutes before checking. As a matter of fact, it does not even say to shut the engine off!

My 2006 400EX manual says:
1) level ground
2) warm up for 5 min (extra 5 min if below 50 deg F)
3) remove dipstick, wipe, and check oil level

SO WHICH IS IT?

The first few times I checked mine I actually kept the engine running and checked it at idle after a warm up. Now I warm up, shut-off and check immediately (all I had to go by was my manual which never mentioned waiting). After seeing the alternate advice in the old manual the other day I did warm up, shut off and waited 3 min and when checking it this way it was way over the full line. I immediately checked it again using the method in my manual and it was right on the full line so which is it?

I suppose checking the level and then measuring the amount drained out during an oil change might indicate which is correct. Or is it possible that both methods are correct for the proper years and the newer models with reverse use a different method? Or did Honda change the instructions for another reason? Any ideas or has this been discussed before?

DragonGunner
01-06-2014, 02:26 PM
My 1999-2000 manual says what your first oll check was. And thats the way I do it.

If you check with engine running it will spray out......I do this not to check oil, but if I want to see if the oil pump is working.

KKiowaTJ
01-06-2014, 02:51 PM
I let mine warm up for 5-10 mins and let sit for the same amount. Dead on every time, If I watch a clock and check it in 3-5 then 8-10 minutes, There is no difference on my dipstick of the oil level being higher or lower.

CJM
01-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Yea someone got something mixed up in the newer manuals I guess. You cant check oil with anything running, it will spray out or give you a totally inaccurate reading.

I always warmed mine up for about 5-10 min, shut off and let sit for about a min then checked. It is better to be slightly overfull than under. If anything since the 400 circulates the oil through an oil tank unlike alot of other smaller engines-being overfull a bit wont hurt it-just dont fill it up like a moron all the way to the brim or check cold.

Blodg
01-06-2014, 08:44 PM
I got the same reading with the engine running as I did when shutting it off and checking immediately. There were a few small splashes of oil coming out every once in a while though...

I think checking immediately after shutting off makes sense as that is the way it is when running and since we are checking an oil tank and not the engine case it shouldn't need time to drain back down.

KKiowaTJ
01-06-2014, 08:54 PM
It so the oil is at its thinnest and warm enough that is in all crevices of the motor. When shut down, It takes a few minutes for it to all drain and collect and the level in the dry sump has perfect pressure. That's why you need level ground so the oil sits through out the system un restricted and get the best reading.
You have to account for all the oil sitting in the tank, Cooler and case, Then warm it up to operating temp so it will flow to the bottom when checked.

MtnEX
01-06-2014, 09:46 PM
LOL... so now... what if I want to install one of those big high capacity oil tanks?

Then what?

I guess what I am trying to understand there is... when guys install the big oil tanks to run more oil is it then measuring vertical level and reaching the same height of oil, and holding more with a wider tank?

KKiowaTJ
01-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Every sump tank is made for that application. When I change my oil, I always change the filter and let it drip for 15-20mins. Replace filter and add two courts. Fire it up for a few and let it run. The oil level is always a tad over. If you ge a system to hold 2.5qts, Put that in and find the measurements on the stick and if off, Mark them full, Add etc.
But I highly doubt its a problem being these are 15 year old machines now and they have it down to a science by now.

2001400exrida
01-07-2014, 07:52 AM
u can check oil running any machine that has an oil tank. On the 450's it's real easy cuz there is a site glass so no dipstick. Best method on any vehicle is to get engine completely warm.....shut down motor. let sit for 3 minutes and check the oil level. I do this on my cars, atvs, lawn mowers, etc.

When you have an oil tank such as the 400ex and nearly every other atv out there besides the honda 450's.....you get more room for error. A tank is basically the oil resevoir so as long as you're within the dipstick lines on a tank you should never have a problem, that being said i always keep my 400's at the full line. In the case of the honda trx450r and 450er, you do not have a tank, so it's important to make sure you don't put too much or too little oil in the honda 450's. I put exactly .86 qts in and have never had a problem. I always check the site glass to be sure i'm near or at the full line just to be sure.

buck440
01-07-2014, 11:20 PM
I always check it before I turn it on...cold. never had an issue. I think people overthink things.

400man
01-08-2014, 12:53 AM
I always check it before I turn it on...cold. never had an issue. I think people overthink things.

same here. if mine sets for a long time and/or I haven't checked it in awhile, sometimes its pretty low on the stick when I check it cold. so I just add a lil bit and don't worry about it.

2001400exrida
01-08-2014, 07:02 AM
here's what the owners manual says, with a little paraphrasing.

To check the oil level, the engine must be warm, a cold engine will give an inaccurate reading. Let it idle (without goosing the throttle) for five minutes, or 10 minutes if it is less that 50 degrees wherever the quad is.
Shut the engine off. After a few minutes, remove the dip stick, wipe it clean, put the dip stick back in, but without screwing in any of the threads, then remove it to show the oil level.
The oil level should be between the two marks.

Blodg
01-08-2014, 04:44 PM
here's what the owners manual says, with a little paraphrasing.
Did you read the first post in this thread? I already listed what the owners manual says, and it is different from 2002 to 2006...