PDA

View Full Version : Water Resistant Battery

Stickman400
01-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Ok, this isn't a 400 question but the Rancher section is dead. The battery in my 420 is shot and barely holds a charge after sitting for more than a day to start it. So I'm looking for a new battery for it, I was thinking of getting a Shorai LiPO like I got for my 400 that I love but do they stand up to water very well? My rancher goes over the racks in water and stays there for a good 30 seconds to a minute or more quite a bit over the summer when we creek ride. So are those LiPOs sealed against water or should I just get a stock Yuasa? I also need one that will hold up to having my winch drain it down a lot, don't know if they make a "deep cycle" type battery for atvs that would help or not.

Stickman400
01-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Did a little research and found that Shorai recommends to seal the battery case between the upper and lower halves if it is to see any submersion time, and to pack the plug and terminals with di-electric grease. Got to looking around and I may just go with a AGM style gel battery since they say they are fully sealed and won't leak even if cracked. So if nothing can get out, then nothing can get in right?? Looking at this: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1642/29420/Bike-Master-TruGel-No-Maintenance-Battery?v=8495

KKiowaTJ
01-05-2014, 05:28 PM
I would definitely go with a AGM battery, That way it can sit upside down in water and be fine for use. That and a deep cycle wouldn't hurt being its a quad you cant bump start as easy.
Look into compact trolling motor batteries or jet ski batteries and see if they have a decent AGM with the cca you need. In my off road toys, I get either odyssey or die hard platinum which is made by odyssey and I water proof it with a tube of clear silicone and dielectric grease.
Make sure the battery and the rancher's wiring and connections all are full of dielectric. That and if you have room, WD40 always is a good thing to carry if you can. Good luck either way

KKiowaTJ
01-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Did a little research and found that Shorai recommends to seal the battery case between the upper and lower halves if it is to see any submersion time, and to pack the plug and terminals with di-electric grease. Got to looking around and I may just go with a AGM style gel battery since they say they are fully sealed and won't leak even if cracked. So if nothing can get out, then nothing can get in right?? Looking at this: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1642/29420/Bike-Master-TruGel-No-Maintenance-Battery?v=8495

They sound like what ya need, But reviews are not that good, At least not on RMATV. But they do carry a 2 year warranty so might be worth it. Id bump up to a bigger battery than what your model takes though, That way you know you have a lot of reserve time. Their website showed the LxWxH so you can go off the room you have and fill it with a high reserve.

Stickman400
01-11-2014, 11:39 PM
Yea, I waterproofed all the wiring and connectors last year before I went creek riding so it's good on that side. And I'll se what else I can fit in there if I can, not much extra room but they is some.