PDA

View Full Version : Tire pattern ?'s

KKiowaTJ
01-03-2014, 06:31 PM
I asked awhile back about a certain tire groover and we finally got one. I got one with the iron and #3/#4/#5/#6 and #8 head(s) and blades.
I currently have ITP GNCC 20" rears and like them, But could use some more bite. The picture I hope to post is what I want to run, IIRC its 400man's pic of his rear ITP's. Anyone ever run his cut other than my stolen pic from 400man?

Any opinions welcome, If you have a pic of something that looks good and performs good, Post it up. The only thing I have ever done was turf tamers and ITP's I took every other row of lugs out. Thanks for any advice

Sorry if I infringed on 400mans rights, No copies have been made of as of yet!

400man
01-03-2014, 10:06 PM
hey its all good man. and in case you didnt know, the tire in the pic is a maxxis razr xc, not an itp. they come already grooved out like that. the knobs are a hair taller and bigger and spaced a lil bit more than regular razr's. to me its the best tire ive tried, way better than gncc holeshots, which ive tried a couple years ago and hated em

MtnEX
01-03-2014, 11:02 PM
So jealous!!! I want a tire groover too!

As for the picture there of the Razr XC tire... they look grooved but really they are separate nobbies and are offset from each other a hair. You could cut a groove that big in some other knobbie, but it would probably chunk pretty badly.

The 20" GNCC rears suck period. Once they wear some they suck worse. Worst high dollar tire I ever owned. Especially on an 8" wide rim.

They need bite and they need freeing some... both of which grooving does well.

I am old school so I came up having to do this stuff to get a decent tire. What I would do is groove every single knob straight through with whatever size is bigger than the split groove they had to start with and I would do it deep to near the bottom of the knobbie.

Next time you buy rear tires, buy the 21" version or buy a different tire for sure.

I like my 21" GNCC's, 20" Razrs and 20" HD's. And I have several friends that love the Razr XC and a hand full that hate them saying they are too short and/or have weak side walls.

400man
01-04-2014, 12:14 AM
I had brand new 21inch gncc holeshots, the leaked around the bead all the time. and to me the tread blocks sucked. once they barely started to round over they felt like they spun on anything.

ive done a few real muddy races with my razr xc's and I never got hung up at all, and there were lots of stuck riders I passed.

a tire id like to try is the cst pulse. and a good tire to groove out would be a gbc xrex/razr2 or even the maxxis razr balance tires, those have some big thick tread blocks with lots of spacing.

KKiowaTJ
01-04-2014, 12:19 AM
400man: I have liked the way that tire/that quad looks since you posted it. That was my reasoning behing getting a groover was for tht look, More bite and a little more time out of the ITP's.

MtnEx: I never got a chance to try all the maxxis tires. I got out when their first tire was new. I liked them, But not as much as mx tires in anything. I usually ran grooved out tamers or my holeshot's with every other pattern cut out. But I always rode a banshee too, So night and day IMO and im still learning.

Well I cut them, Couldn't resist and wanted that look. Funny it was mentioned, But I did try to give lateral stagger to them, Although it didn't work too well. I also tried the hot sipe and IMO Im pretty sure ill chunk a certain lug or three.
Started with #3 head, But stepped up to a #5/9/32's. I cut through the rest of the lug as much as I could. They have a good 10-12/32's left but don't look it. I have a tread depth gage too so I can dial it in exactly on both ends so it cuts like butter and is exactly what ya want once you learn the way to use the iron.

IMO they look from a angle, The otsu sp? oem tire. I could only hope they perform half as good as them now. I do have a new set of GBC X-Rex tires to put on when these go or I use them for race only and GBC for normal riding. The GBC rear looks like it could use a little weight loss in between them but are new lol.

Here is a few pic's, Its cold as hell out so I decided to pop them off, Warm them up to room temp and did them it the kitchen lol. Its been awhile as you can see lmao.

HondaRacing83
01-04-2014, 12:19 AM
I love my gbc x rexs. Ive pulled through stuff other people cant. Simply amazing tire. Dont slide on dry stuff the best in the rear when you're trying to but not that big of a deal

KKiowaTJ
01-04-2014, 12:40 AM
I had brand new 21inch gncc holeshots, the leaked around the bead all the time. and to me the tread blocks sucked. once they barely started to round over they felt like they spun on anything.

ive done a few real muddy races with my razr xc's and I never got hung up at all, and there were lots of stuck riders I passed.

a tire id like to try is the cst pulse. and a good tire to groove out would be a gbc xrex/razr2 or even the maxxis razr balance tires, those have some big thick tread blocks with lots of spacing.

Well, I was thinking about selling my gbc's and go with a 20/20 again, Well 20/19". Only reason I have the GNCC's are they came with the quad along with spare fronts. I like the look of the balance xc, But having a close second and can groove them to look and maybe perform similar, Guess all I need is a second set of wheels. Then ITP's for the road and play/free ride.

Glad to hear I can only make the traction better on the GNCC's along with them being leaky *******s. They are decent imo but do blow off easy and more or less put on a roost show but no bite. They have wore like iron though on road, I have had them on the rear for two years and still have good tread, Just rounded off like mentioned.

Cant wait to try them, Warm weather needs to hurry up.

400man
01-04-2014, 12:43 AM
looks pretty good. I don't have as many blades/heads as you got, I just found the cheapest deal for a groover on ebay lol. Id like to get a wider one than what I got. heres some pics of my rodeo tires I did.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/024_zps5dacd619.jpg (http://s417.photobucket.com/user/ky2stroker/media/024_zps5dacd619.jpg.html)

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/028_zps3e1f75a3.jpg (http://s417.photobucket.com/user/ky2stroker/media/028_zps3e1f75a3.jpg.html)

KKiowaTJ
01-04-2014, 01:06 AM
Double post

KKiowaTJ
01-04-2014, 01:09 AM
That looks pretty decent, Anymore and they might chunk and rip off. That's about where im at give or take a 32'd. I didn't know it was a maxxis xc, And though the balance's were the xc's. I looked up the difference, Too many choices.
They will work good enough for practice tires or ill mount up the new if they flake off quick.

MtnEX
01-04-2014, 12:01 PM
You did good on the GNCC's. Maybe a little wide of a groove. You'll know soon. May not be.

All in all, when the 20" GNCC gets worn enough that the razor sipes in the contact area on top of the lugs is gone they are slick on hard pack. For a GNCC, those are slap wore out right there. So I can't wait for you to try them now. They should slide better too cut like that.

I have never tried my 21" GNCC rears on my 400... just my 450, which will light up any tire. They work pretty good on the 450 vs how the 20" ones worked and are wearing better too.

KKiowaTJ
01-04-2014, 01:41 PM
You did good on the GNCC's. Maybe a little wide of a groove. You'll know soon. May not be.

All in all, when the 20" GNCC gets worn enough that the razor sipes in the contact area on top of the lugs is gone they are slick on hard pack. For a GNCC, those are slap wore out right there. So I can't wait for you to try them now. They should slide better too cut like that.

I have never tried my 21" GNCC rears on my 400... just my 450, which will light up any tire. They work pretty good on the 450 vs how the 20" ones worked and are wearing better too.

Thanks, Yeah I might have over done it lol. Ill see soon enough hopefully if tis cold weather passes.

I should have clarified my 20/20 combo, I run 20" ITP mx6r's up front. Im surprised they have lasted along with the rears. The fronts are soft but still have a good amount of tread. Ill most likely leave them be as the reason for the grooving was for a set to use for a few races this season. Ill soon know if I have traction or I look back and see a bunch of chunked out lug's lmfao.