PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to rejet?

LxMxL97
01-01-2014, 03:34 PM
When I got my 400 it had a pipe on it and a k&n filter so I'm going to assume It was jetted for it but honestly don't have a clue but here recently I bought a fmf slip on And bored it to a 416 10.8:1 compression and it does run a little warm could this Be due to it running lean?

400man
01-01-2014, 05:09 PM
if you havent ever checked the jets yourself, you really dont know if its been jetted for the pipe and filter. just gotta check and see what its got.

LxMxL97
01-01-2014, 08:54 PM
For the stuff I have done what range of jets should I buy or would it be easier to buy a jet kit

CJM
01-01-2014, 09:22 PM
yep it needs to be jetted.

Buy 3 new plugs and and the following jets, 155, 160, 165, 170 and 175. Start at 175 and see what happens.

LxMxL97
01-05-2014, 06:39 AM

Buy 3 new plugs and and the following jets, 155, 160, 165, 170 and 175. Start at 175 and see what happens.

Like plugs meaning spark plugs?

CJM
01-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Like plugs meaning spark plugs?
Yes, when people say plugs we mean spark plugs.

LxMxL97
01-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Yes, when people say plugs we mean spark plugs.

I wasn't looking for a smart *** comment I was simply asking because I dont understand why I would need
New plugs

punk rock kiel
01-05-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't think he was being a smart ***. the need for plugs are so you change your jetting and then warm up the quad and a little and do a 3rd or 4th gear run from low rpms to redline and then grab the clutch and hit the kill switch and when it cools down enough, pull the plug out and see what color the porcelain is. you want a brownish color.

being slightly rich on an air cooled motor is better cause fuel helps cool the motor/cylinder

KKiowaTJ
01-05-2014, 12:33 PM
All its for, Is to have a couple to jet with for a 'plug chop'. The color/wetness etc will show on a new plug. When you get it dialed in, Put the last new one in so you are good to go. You will have a couple spares/jetting plugs for next time.
Something I need to look into :o

CJM
01-05-2014, 01:38 PM
If you searched a bit and read the VERY comprehensive stickys I authored that gives a step by step detail on how to jet..

Look at my signature, theres a link the threads..

2001400exrida
01-05-2014, 02:15 PM
I wasn't looking for a smart *** comment I was simply asking because I dont understand why I would need
New plugs

Don't worry about him man. Honestly the chop works but ya don't have to go buy 3 plugs. Get it close as we have suggested and then see how it runs. Plug chops were very common in the 2 strokes and can still be used with 4 strokes but its not the best method. You also don't need to go buy all those jets. Let us know what's in it and then what mods your running well get ya close and you can diagnose from there

KKiowaTJ
01-05-2014, 03:07 PM
But if you have the extra jets on hand, And you go and ride out of your area, You might need to drop or bump it up. Smart money is having them on hand and not waiting on them to show so you can tune and ride. You can only tune so much through the a/f screw.
To each their own, You can always sell them or keep them for future mod's, Then you don't have to wait again to tune and ride. Having items on hand for your toy is better than waiting for the one that 'might' be the right jet.

LxMxL97
01-05-2014, 07:57 PM
I don't think he was being a smart ***. the need for plugs are so you change your jetting and then warm up the quad and a little and do a 3rd or 4th gear run from low rpms to redline and then grab the clutch and hit the kill switch and when it cools down enough, pull the plug out and see what color the porcelain is. you want a brownish color.

being slightly rich on an air cooled motor is better cause fuel helps cool the motor/cylinder

A simple yes would have been sufficient but now I understand the need for multiple plugs

LxMxL97
01-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Don't worry about him man. Honestly the chop works but ya don't have to go buy 3 plugs. Get it close as we have suggested and then see how it runs. Plug chops were very common in the 2 strokes and can still be used with 4 strokes but its not the best method. You also don't need to go buy all those jets. Let us know what's in it and then what mods your running well get ya close and you can diagnose from there

I'll look tomorrow to see what jets are in there and let you know but my mods include 416 10.8:1 comp stage 2 HC k&n filter fmf slip on

400man
01-06-2014, 05:37 AM
I'll look tomorrow to see what jets are in there and let you know but my mods include 416 10.8:1 comp stage 2 HC k&n filter fmf slip on

is this for the stock cobrater?

LxMxL97
01-06-2014, 06:30 AM
is this for the stock cobrater?

Yes I know the 450 carb is way better but I've more important things I need to get first

Zakradu398
01-06-2014, 09:28 AM
I'd ditch that K&n if you want that new motor to last...

LxMxL97
01-06-2014, 08:02 PM

That's what everyone says but I've had the same filter on the bike for 3 years and haven't had a problem with it so I don't see a need to change it

CJM
01-06-2014, 08:43 PM
That's what everyone says but I've had the same filter on the bike for 3 years and haven't had a problem with it so I don't see a need to change it

You will find out one day why.

2001400exrida
01-07-2014, 08:01 AM
been running both filters for years. If you maintain your filter you will have no problem with a k&n. Anybody who has ruined their motor from using a k&n filter is not properly maintaining it. If you get in the real sloppy stuff then an outerwears or k&n pre charger filter will help keep moisture out better, but honestly it's a very debatable topic and people have luck with both filters, the most important thing to remember is to maintain a clean filter be it k&n or foam.

LxMxL97
01-07-2014, 04:57 PM
been running both filters for years. If you maintain your filter you will have no problem with a k&n. Anybody who has ruined their motor from using a k&n filter is not properly maintaining it. If you get in the real sloppy stuff then an outerwears or k&n pre charger filter will help keep moisture out better, but honestly it's a very debatable topic and people have luck with both filters, the most important thing to remember is to maintain a clean filter be it k&n or foam.

I clean my filter after about every 3hrs of ride time (after every race)

CJM
01-07-2014, 08:42 PM
KN lets finer particles in than a foam filter, maintenance of not the cotton gauge type filter does not filter nearly as well as a foam filter. But run whatever ya want, your quad and your money.

2001400exrida
01-08-2014, 06:53 AM
like i said, it is a debatable topic. I'll tell you there's no way guys would run k&n's on a $5000 race motor if it was jeopardizing anything, so maintenance or not they do function. Any facts or evidence to prove the theory that k&n lets finer particles in than a foam filter? Not trying to stir the pot, i'm sincerely asking for evidence, ya know because otherwise it's just a statement.

i know duners run k&n because they have trouble with the foam filters becoming completely clogged with sand. In the FT and TT world i don't think i've ever seen a foam filter. On the contrary when it comes to wet conditions and muddy muck and XC racing.... the foam is by far the best at repelling water. a k&n with an outerwear does the same thing though. I've seen XC guys run both styles.

LxMxL97
01-08-2014, 10:16 AM
KN lets finer particles in than a foam filter, maintenance of not the cotton gauge type filter does not filter nearly as well as a foam filter. But run whatever ya want, your quad and your money.

I'm not saying your wrong I'm just saying its worked for me so I see no reason to change it

KKiowaTJ
01-08-2014, 10:51 AM
There is a ton of proof on forums on the net, Go to pirate 4x4 or start west and work east. It lets fine silica dust in and it has been proven time and time again. Run one on a vehicle that see's gravel, Dust and go back and look in the tube that connect the throttle body to the POS K&N.
I like it when people stand behind the K&N and run royal purple, You will never see what it is doing until it blows, Unless you send a sample off. But its gods gift for a few races.

UNI foam, You can submerge in water up to the lip and the oil will keep water out, Will K&N do that? Not a chance in hell! Plus the guys who go to the dunes, Or the ones who know, Bring a spare air filter regardless.

That's why some companies got away from K&N and went to either a dry flow or a Tru-Foam cone filter. That's why if you ever have a newer vehicle, Adding chit, K&N, Will automatically void the warranty and you are on your own. 5 miles or 15k, You add the POS and they drop you.
If common sense don't play a factor and you add one, You get what you deserve.

2001400exrida
01-08-2014, 10:57 AM
so now k&n and royal purple will blow your motor? too funny. i've got nearly 20 races on a k&n and most of them i was running royal purple too? i'm lucky i guess.

we all know this is a highly debateable topic and both filters have their applications. let me ask you this. why does dasa sell a k&n style filter with their intake kits? is it because they want their racers motors to blow up? fci has the same style filter, why would these items sell so much if they did the damage you are describing? come on man don't be so one sided, k&n's have their place in the sport.

as far as your statement about vehicle manufacturers voiding warranties due to k&n filter, you're dead wrong on that and i'll post a link straight from k&n. if you dont' like reading jargon just skip to the last 2 paragraphs.

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

KKiowaTJ
01-08-2014, 11:56 AM
so now k&n and royal purple will blow your motor? too funny. i've got nearly 20 races on a k&n and most of them i was running royal purple too? i'm lucky i guess.

we all know this is a highly debateable topic and both filters have their applications. let me ask you this. why does dasa sell a k&n style filter with their intake kits? is it because they want their racers motors to blow up? fci has the same style filter, why would these items sell so much if they did the damage you are describing? come on man don't be so one sided, k&n's have their place in the sport.

as far as your statement about vehicle manufacturers voiding warranties due to k&n filter, you're dead wrong on that and i'll post a link straight from k&n. if you dont' like reading jargon just skip to the last 2 paragraphs.

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

You cant see dirt in dark oil, Works out well for engine builders. Its stupidity of people like you who don't have common sense to send a sample off to see just what it is doing, Or are you a scientist too? I know exactly what the junk products do, I had a sprint car team for a couple years and K&N was always a problem. But you know all so its pointless.

Yeah, In the trash can is where their place should be with common sense. How much is a dasa? How happy will they be when you call back and order another? Same goes for the other company? They will be happy as pigs in chit. Why they sell? There is an idiot born everyday and stupid people can be talked into anything when they have no idea what they are talking about in the first place!

So im 'dead wrong' huh? That's why K&N went out of their way to dedicate a whole page to their short comings. Sorry, But my family voided warranties along with many other dealerships. If its in the writing on the warranty contract, Well K&N is reliable for the problem.
That's too F'N funny they had to take the time out to save face with a bull**** article. Fact is, When it say K&N voids, Its means if you add one and you blow or anything else, Its on you and I highly doubt K&N will compensate.
Plus its very easy to tell if one was used, People think they can outsmart people who look at the same thing everyday. I loved telling people sorry, You swapped in a K&N and you are ****ed! The look on their face is awesome, More so when we pulled out paper work proving they signed that it voided the warranty.

As long as you are happy with double priced purple dyed oil and a inferior air filter, To each their own. They need people like you to stay in business who defend stupidity all day long.

400man
01-08-2014, 12:58 PM
a buddy I ride with who has been riding and working on bikes his whole life has told me not to run a k&n cause it will let dust pass through and burn the motor up. he has worked on several bikes over the years and the ones with k&n filters were the wons with worn rings and scratched cylinders.

foam is the way to go if you do any offroad riding where you have mud/water/dust.

LxMxL97
01-08-2014, 01:38 PM
a buddy I ride with who has been riding and working on bikes his whole life has told me not to run a k&n cause it will let dust pass through and burn the motor up. he has worked on several bikes over the years and the ones with k&n filters were the wons with worn rings and scratched cylinders.

foam is the way to go if you do any offroad riding where you have mud/water/dust.

I don't know why everyone's panties are in such a bunch if I want to "blow up" my motor let me I value your advise but I've had good luck with my k&n and I'll keep using it

JOHNDOE83
01-08-2014, 02:36 PM
I dont know why everyone is arguing over oil and air filters?

Concentrate on winning a race or something instead......

Just a thought.

Sincerly : johndoe83

Also adding to what this thread was originally about I would buy jets from 170- 210 in incriments of 5 and satrt with the 210 jet, If the bike fully revs out without a stutter on the topend then leave the 210. If it stutters and doesnt fully rev out, back down in incriments of 5 until you get full wide open throttle. it can be found here http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_rejetting_101_how_to_rejet.htm halfway'ish down the page labled #4 in the jetting procedure.

2001400exrida
01-08-2014, 03:06 PM
You cant see dirt in dark oil, Works out well for engine builders. Its stupidity of people like you who don't have common sense to send a sample off to see just what it is doing, Or are you a scientist too? I know exactly what the junk products do, I had a sprint car team for a couple years and K&N was always a problem. But you know all so its pointless.

Yeah, In the trash can is where their place should be with common sense. How much is a dasa? How happy will they be when you call back and order another? Same goes for the other company? They will be happy as pigs in chit. Why they sell? There is an idiot born everyday and stupid people can be talked into anything when they have no idea what they are talking about in the first place!

So im 'dead wrong' huh? That's why K&N went out of their way to dedicate a whole page to their short comings. Sorry, But my family voided warranties along with many other dealerships. If its in the writing on the warranty contract, Well K&N is reliable for the problem.
That's too F'N funny they had to take the time out to save face with a bull**** article. Fact is, When it say K&N voids, Its means if you add one and you blow or anything else, Its on you and I highly doubt K&N will compensate.
Plus its very easy to tell if one was used, People think they can outsmart people who look at the same thing everyday. I loved telling people sorry, You swapped in a K&N and you are ****ed! The look on their face is awesome, More so when we pulled out paper work proving they signed that it voided the warranty.

As long as you are happy with double priced purple dyed oil and a inferior air filter, To each their own. They need people like you to stay in business who defend stupidity all day long.

lol. royal purple, dasa and k&n filters are for stupid people only, we get it. maybe just take a couple deep breaths and count to ten.

jcs003
01-08-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't know why everyone's panties are in such a bunch if I want to "blow up" my motor let me I value your advise but I've had good luck with my k&n and I'll keep using it

dont ask for advise then.

john

2001400exrida
01-08-2014, 03:15 PM
dont ask for advise then.

john

he's only gotten advice that says k&n's blow motors.....i would hardly call that good advice so the fact that he is making the point that people don't need to get their panties in a bunch is valid. Recommend foam if you suggest it, but don't be like some people and talk out of your butt about how k&n's and royal purple and dasa filters blow motors, i mean seriously. Does nobody on this site run a k&n? it's all i run in my race quad.....i just pulled the thing apart a month or so ago and the thing looks brand new in the motor.

jcs003
01-08-2014, 03:19 PM
he's only gotten advice that says k&n's blow motors.....i would hardly call that good advice so the fact that he is making the point that people don't need to get their panties in a bunch is valid. Recommend foam if you suggest it, but don't be like some people and talk out of your butt about how k&n's and royal purple and dasa filters blow motors, i mean seriously. Does nobody on this site run a k&n? it's all i run in my race quad.....i just pulled the thing apart a month or so ago and the thing looks brand new in the motor.

we will only listen to you because you want to argue with everyone and this describes a know-it-all. get your own site if you want to argue. typically, those who act in this fashion know very little.

john

2001400exrida
01-08-2014, 03:57 PM
I think we should let the original poster decide that. if I'm a know it all for saying that k&nd filter and royal purple oil does not blow a motor then so be it

You told the guy not to ask for advice if he didn't like the feedback but its not the preference of filter that bothers us its when you have people calling people stupid for runnimg filters they want that's where it gets childish.

HondaRacing83
01-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Why is 2001exrida still on here like why is he not banned he is not a positive impact on the forum and all he does is start stuff and ruin threads and mislead people..

2001400exrida
01-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Why is 2001exrida still on here like why is he not banned he is not a positive impact on the forum and all he does is start stuff and ruin threads and mislead people..

Because I haven't broken any rules and I give my honest experience in every post. What was your contribution to this thread?

jcs003
01-08-2014, 04:40 PM

the guy only want to argue and be contrary. i only try to offer fair advice.

john

KKiowaTJ
01-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Where did I ever say that RP would blow a motor? Or both combined and a motor blowing? I didn't!

Oil is dyed purple, Dark color, Wear makes it darker, Who knows exactly 'what' caused it. Smart money, Send in a couple samples and make sure its decent.

Also never said dasa was stupid either, Just the others. But if a person wants to run them in a motor that's im sure not cheap, I don't see that as using you're head much. Has he had any problems, No. Will he? Chit happens! and or most likely have no problems. Will a filter to be to blame? Its a coin toss on K&N, Not so much with foam. I do hope he has a flawless run with them.

I think you need to put the 'jump to conclusions map' away. Now will be you're edit run to save face. I don't want to quote the stupidity I want to see you keep pouring it on! I read most of your finest work, Awesome flip flopping and ninja editing.
Good luck with you're vast knowledge on everything in the aftermarket world!

Sorry to the OP to screw up you're thread. You have had good luck, To each their own. Good luck on getting the getting dialed in.

LxMxL97
01-09-2014, 04:24 AM
I dont know why everyone is arguing over oil and air filters?

Concentrate on winning a race or something instead......

Just a thought.

Sincerly : johndoe83

Also adding to what this thread was originally about I would buy jets from 170- 210 in incriments of 5 and satrt with the 210 jet, If the bike fully revs out without a stutter on the topend then leave the 210. If it stutters and doesnt fully rev out, back down in incriments of 5 until you get full wide open throttle. it can be found here http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_rejetting_101_how_to_rejet.htm halfway'ish down the page labled #4 in the jetting procedure.

Thanks since everyone likes to argue I never got a real answer

Zakradu398
01-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Because we have ****ty mods who would rather delete threAds with his stupidity than correct him. This is why I hardly come here anymore.

2001400exrida
01-09-2014, 06:30 AM
gotta break the rules to be banned man. just because some guys dont agree with my beliefs doesn't make it right. the name calling and insulting are the people who need banned, not me. I simply play devils advocate, it's possible to have a civil debate but when it constantly leads to name calling that's where things go down hill. Take this thread for example. I'm trying to help the OP when all of the sudden after i posted my experience with K&n explaining that they do have a place in this sport, guys get all bent out of shape and try to say they're POS and they'll void warranties blah blah blah.....it's fine to post an opinion but don't bash or hate on a member because they have a different experience.

Zakradu398
01-09-2014, 07:05 AM
If someone says something, you will say the opposite just to do it. How is that a K&N is better than a well oiled foam filter? I see it letting the same amount of air in while catching more dirt, what other uses do they have?

2001400exrida
01-09-2014, 07:11 AM
I don't think a k&n is better than a foam filter, in fact i don't believe anybody has made that claim. I do think a properly maintained k&n in the right conditions is a perfectly suitable filter and does not lead to premature engine failure like what has been claimed. Same goes for claiming that dasa makes a filter for dumb people so they're motors will fail and they keep coming back to buy one....i honestly have a hard time understand that concept. Dasa knows what they're doing they offer the k&n style filter because it performs well and in the right conditions will offer the best performance.

I use foam in the wet nasty stuff, but on my dirt track quad all i've ever used is k&n and as i said previously i took that motor apart a month or so ago and it looked beautiful. I always wipe my intake when i do filter maintenance and i never seen dirt in the intake. As mentioned by kkiowa, there's no question a foam filter is more water proof, but to say that a k&n or dasa style filter will cause engine failure is something i disagree with. Properly oiled and maintained a k&n or dasa style filter can function just fine. Both style filters have their suitable applications.

same goes for the statement that royal purple is died purple so people don't see the impurities....sorry but i'm not saying the opposite just to do it, i'm saying it because that statement is ignorant. Somebody who goes around telling people that the reason royal purple is dark is because it's such a bad oil they dont' want people to see stuff is just garbage talk. Royal purple is a proven oil. I started running it in my race quad because it's $4 cheaper by the quart than the amsoil i was previously using. I also run rotella in my 400ex and ran it in my 450r for quite some time with no problems.

Zakradu398
01-09-2014, 07:17 AM
I don't think a k&n is better than a foam filter, in fact i don't believe anybody has made that claim. I do think a properly maintained k&n in the right conditions is a perfectly suitable filter and does not lead to premature engine failure like what has been claimed. Same goes for claiming that dasa makes a filter for dumb people so they're motors will fail and they keep coming back to buy one....i honestly have a hard time understand that concept. Dasa knows what they're doing they offer the k&n style filter because it performs well and in the right conditions will offer the best performance.

I use foam in the wet nasty stuff, but on my dirt track quad all i've ever used is k&n and as i said previously i took that motor apart a month or so ago and it looked beautiful. I always wipe my intake when i do filter maintenance and i never seen dirt in the intake. As mentioned by kkiowa, there's no question a foam filter is more water proof, but to say that a k&n or dasa style filter will cause engine failure is something i disagree with. Properly oiled and maintained a k&n or dasa style filter can function just fine. Both style filters have their suitable applications.

same goes for the statement that royal purple is died purple so people don't see the impurities....sorry but i'm not saying the opposite just to do it, i'm saying it because that statement is ignorant. Somebody who goes around telling people that the reason royal purple is dark is because it's such a bad oil they dont' want people to see stuff is just garbage talk. Royal purple is a proven oil. I started running it in my race quad because it's $4 cheaper by the quart than the amsoil i was previously using. I also run rotella in my 400ex and ran it in my 450r for quite some time with no problems.

Not even going to comment on the DASA remark....

So when will a K&N be better than a foam filter?

2001400exrida
01-09-2014, 07:54 AM
you even bolded it and still asked the same question, lol. Again, i don't think a k&n is better than a foam. If you're really looking for some sort of answer to this question talk to some of the duners. Most duners that have been riding for a while will run a k&n with outwears because the foam filters clog up so easily with sand. I'm not saying every duner in the world, but ask around, do some looking, you'll find k&n is very popular for the dunes. I also see mostly k&n in the racing world too, only place you won't see many is the XC races.

400man
01-09-2014, 09:11 AM

just saying.......this thread was fine until this was posted, then it went downhill because it got off topic and people started tearing it apart.

sooooooo........to get back on track. lxmxl97 just richen your main jet and your pilot one size and ride it. don't worry about checkin plugs it will be fine as long as it runs good.

LxMxL97
01-09-2014, 01:40 PM
just saying.......this thread was fine until this was posted, then it went downhill because it got off topic and people started tearing it apart.

sooooooo........to get back on track. lxmxl97 just richen your main jet and your pilot one size and ride it. don't worry about checkin plugs it will be fine as long as it runs good.

It runs fine now it's just that it runs a little warm would one size make a noticeable difference in temp?

400man
01-09-2014, 02:08 PM
it will help, but prolly wont change the temp much. by saying warm, is it warmer than what it used to run?

LxMxL97
01-09-2014, 03:35 PM
it will help, but prolly wont change the temp much. by saying warm, is it warmer than what it used to run?

Yes after these mods it's been running hotter than it did

CJM
01-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Yes after these mods it's been running hotter than it did

As I said before, too lean. Its air cooled, only thing cooling it off is the air. So jetting a 400ex is very important.

LxMxL97
01-09-2014, 08:02 PM
As I said before, too lean. Its air cooled, only thing cooling it off is the air. So jetting a 400ex is very important.

I assumed that what range of jets should I buy

CJM
01-09-2014, 08:04 PM

Buy 3 new plugs and and the following jets, 155, 160, 165, 170 and 175. Start at 175 and see what happens................

400man
01-09-2014, 08:10 PM
lol didnt you post all this on the first page to start with?

KKiowaTJ
01-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Yep, But the '3' plugs remark sent it down hill too. To each their own on that one

You need a wide range of jets so you can dial it in perfect and or have then on hand to change with weather and or elevation change. I would say with the mods and a ballpark guess, 40p and a 170 main. But if you go with that, And its wrong, You have to order again.

Best bet, Post up what the main/pilot is now so the advisable range will suit you better.

LxMxL97
01-10-2014, 05:47 AM
lol didnt you post all this on the first page to start with?

Sorry didn't see it I got sidetracked by all of the senseless arguments

2001400exrida
01-10-2014, 07:21 AM
are you near a dealership or motorsports place with jets? see what jet is in there right now, we know it's too small if you're running hot, but will still give you an idea of whether you need to go up or down. I personally would start with a 175 with the mods listed. see how she runs and then make adjustments from there.

LxMxL97
01-10-2014, 09:10 PM
are you near a dealership or motorsports place with jets? see what jet is in there right now, we know it's too small if you're running hot, but will still give you an idea of whether you need to go up or down. I personally would start with a 175 with the mods listed. see how she runs and then make adjustments from there.

Yeah there's a honda shop about 15min Away and I still have yet to check could you give me some info on where the jets are located because I've never actually messed with jetting

CJM
01-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Read the sticky..it gives a step by step walk thru.

400man
01-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Yeah there's a honda shop about 15min Away and I still have yet to check could you give me some info on where the jets are located because I've never actually messed with jetting

jets are located in the bottom part of the carb :huh

LxMxL97
01-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Ok so I finally got around to checking the main Jet and it's a 155 which if I'm not mistaken is stock? And the plug color is black so I'm confused because the black plug indicates that I'm running rich if I am not mistaken?

LxMxL97
01-14-2014, 04:12 PM
And the other smaller jet is a 40

KKiowaTJ
01-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Factory main IIRC is 148, You are at what it should be stock so you have plenty of room to work. If the pilot is a 40, Id buy the 42 so you have that option to. Id just get a 160, 165, 170, 175, 180 and start there.
Yeah, Black is usually build up from being rich. How old is that plug? It could also be blow by from a cracked ring too.

LxMxL97
01-14-2014, 06:43 PM
I replaced the plug recently I have about 25hrs of ride time on it and It runs great I just rebuilt the top end on the motor

KKiowaTJ
01-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Sounds like you need more air. Running hot, But with a black plug, Could also be weak spark from the coil. The valves have been checked recently?

LxMxL97
01-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Sounds like you need more air. Running hot, But with a black plug, Could also be weak spark from the coil. The valves have been checked recently?

Yes I checked the valves when I put the motor back together then again after 12hrs of ride time

KKiowaTJ
01-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Other than check to make sure you have good spark, Im not gonna sit and tell ya something above my pay grade. If you have it handy, Do a compression check and see/post what #'s you get. That way you know its not motor related.
It sounds like lack or air or weak spark with a 155 and what you have in it. But that's a common run engine build, Check the stickys, Jet it to what it should be.
Like I said, Its past what I have done and have never done anything to mine. The info is there, to help with searching, Go to google and type in the question(s) and at the end put exriders or atvriders. Then it will only pop up those certain threads that had the most activity. Good luck bud

2001400exrida
01-15-2014, 08:45 AM
put a 175 main jet in there.

LxMxL97
01-15-2014, 05:40 PM
I put a 170 in and it has a slight hesitation when your cruising then punch it and the shop was out of 165s but I'm going riding Friday so I'll determine for sure if it is hesitating or not because it only did it sometimes

2001400exrida
01-15-2014, 05:52 PM
being that it's a 05 i'm guessing the needle is not adjustable meaning it only has 1 clip setting. get an adjustable needle and you may need to drop your needle position down 1 notch too, i did that on my 400 when i did the 426. keep playing with the jets and you'll start to see results.

LxMxL97
01-15-2014, 07:01 PM
If after I ride it Friday and determine wether or not it has a slight hesitation I might get a 168 and see how it does

CJM
01-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Generally you should need a 150-160. 168 is awfully rich and closer to what I needed with a 416, no airbox lid and so forth.

The plug needs to be brand new in order to read it, you cant use an old plug.

2001400exrida
01-15-2014, 07:44 PM
he's running a 416 if i'm not mistaken, i assumed lid off.

hey OP, don't assume that it's cutting out because it's rich, a lean condition will do that too although usually if the main is lean it will cut out when you're wide open all out, not when you stab the throttle. A good way to check to see what carb circuit it is, is to get it out in the open and see how it responds when you're already at 3/4 and then you hit full. See if it's cutting out on top or if it's cutting out when you stab it. Usually a rich main jet will bog or acellerate slow

KKiowaTJ
01-15-2014, 08:14 PM
The original post didn't have all included. But post #14 had, 'my mods include 416 10.8:1 comp stage 2 HC k&n filter fmf slip on' and a 155 main/40 pilot to sum it up to date.

Blodg
01-16-2014, 07:40 AM
My current 416 with JE 10.8:1, stage 2 HC, HMF slip on so similar build but I also have a 450R carb and cleanup head porting. I am currently at a 190 main which is a hair rich but she runs great and does not run hot at all. With a 185 main it revved clean at full throttle to 69 mph with no blubbering so I stuck the 190 in and ran it all year.