PDA

View Full Version : Problem removing jug

GrounD PoundeR
03-20-2003, 04:13 PM
I removed the four 12mm bolts around the piston and the two 8mm on the side. I dont want to damage the jug but I cant seem to break the seal on the gasket with a rubber mallet. I dont want to hit it to hard and damage something so I figured someone here might be able to help.

Do I need to beat it harder or did I forget to do something?

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-20-2003, 04:25 PM
First thing I would do is check over everything again and make sure you didn't miss a bolt or something...after that try using the mallet (sp?) again...tap one side, then go to the other...eventually it should give ;)

stocktires
03-20-2003, 04:26 PM
hmmmmm, soak it with a lil wd40 and give it another good wack??? It would be kinda hard to break the cylinder mounting studs (Im thinking thats what's stuck, is the jug to your cases, right?) so dont be extremely gentle, yet not extremely harsh.
But make SURE and dont try to pry it open with a flat screwdriver. I've heard of people useing scrapers and things like that which would seem to work and not harm anything if done right.

GrounD PoundeR
03-20-2003, 04:29 PM
I'll give a couple more whacks. I looked all around the jug and you only have the four 12mm around the piston and two 8mm on the right side. I cant see anything else that would be holding except a tight seal from the gasket.

Only other thing I could think of is the piston being up flush with the top of the jug or close to flush.

stocktires
03-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by GrounD PoundeR
Only other thing I could think of is the piston being up flush with the top of the jug or close to flush.

That should have no effect on the jug being stuck. Do like rippin said and hit it front side to side, to the other side to the other side (get what Im saying?).

GrounD PoundeR
03-21-2003, 03:03 AM
Yep I got, well maybe. I think so.

luvmyex
03-21-2003, 03:38 PM
mine was pretty hard to break too.You shouldnt be able to hurt it with a rubber mallet.If that dont work try the wooden part of a hammer and hit the head with another hammer.Thats how i got mine loose.

Steven
03-21-2003, 03:47 PM
mine was stuck too. I placed a small piece oof wood on the cooling fins and struck it so it forced the jug up. thats how I broke mine free

stocktires
03-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Steven
mine was stuck too. I placed a small piece oof wood on the cooling fins and struck it so it forced the jug up. thats how I broke mine free

sounds risky, I've seen many broken fins on cylinders so I wouldn't think their very, very strong

GrounD PoundeR
03-22-2003, 03:29 PM
I think my problem was I did not hit it hard enough with the mallet. After I hit harder a couple times it popped loose. So now I am waiting for the Piston kit to arrive so I can get it bored, ported and polished. There goes riding next weekend, well maybe all depends on the quad gods are in my favor.