PDA

View Full Version : 02 honda 400ex running lean

02honda400ex
12-31-2013, 10:40 AM
I just purchased a 02 Honda 400ex from a guy he told me it was a built quad. He said it was a 416 with a Curtis sparks built head and Curtis sparks header and muffler. he said the carb was jetted and dyno tuned to the motor. I go to get to actually ride it for the 1st time and it was popping extremely loud on downfall and getting hot. So I took the carb off and it had the factory 148 main jet in it. so I put t a 160 in it seemed to help a lot set the air/fuel screw to 3 turns out from bottom. still pops a little not as bad runs cooler then what it did but I'm afraid it is still a little lean. any input from you guys would by great. thanks ahead of time

2001400exrida
12-31-2013, 10:42 AM
put a 175 in there and see what it does. also check that pilot, i'm betting it's stock too so get yourself a 40 or a 42 pilot in there as well. that pipe and head work and bore kit are calling for more fuel. I assume the airbox lid is off as well. you're oging to want at least a 175 and most likely something bigger than that even

02honda400ex
12-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Okay I hadn't checked the pilot yet. I didn't have much time when I was getting to mess with it that why I just changed the main, but m guessing its stock too. the air box lid is on no holes or anything drilled in. but I will check the pilot out today.