View Full Version : is the head gasket the same for all years?

400man
12-27-2013, 12:24 AM
im searching ebay for a head gasket ( I don't need a top end kit, just the head gasket only) and im finding several gaskets that say for 05-08 and 09-13. Is the head the same for all year model 400ex's or did they change a little bit in 05+?

DragonGunner
12-27-2013, 05:17 AM
Some head gasket sellers on ebay will say theirs will fit all yrs. Some like what you have seen say specific head gaskets for specific yrs......I would think they were all the same but according to Honda OEM parts....a 1999 head gasket has a different part number than a 2013, and the 99' is $2 more......so must be some kind of a change.

OZ-T
12-27-2013, 07:56 AM
I seriously doubt it, the head gasket off a 96 XR400 would probably work. I don't think any change has been done to this mill since 1999 other than adding reverse in 05.

KKiowaTJ
12-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Id go for a XR400 one my self as well if you are in need of a replacement. No reason not to bump up the comp. unless you are sitting at 11/1 or better now. The only differences I could tell by looking them over, Take it with a grain of salt, Is the clutch cover side is different looking because reverse but looks could be deceiving. If anything over the years, They would **** with the exhaust and ports to make it more smog/EPA friendly.
I buy a lot of things off the net, But unless its a company that knows what they have and are doing, I buy gaskets local.

400man
12-27-2013, 02:09 PM
well im already runnin a JE 10.8:1 piston, didnt really wanna race my compression anymore. my gasket is leakin a lil bit from where i pulled the head earlier this year to replace the timing chain and re used it. im gonna have my head ported by this local guy someone recommended here soon so i figured i should replace the gasket.

KKiowaTJ
12-27-2013, 02:37 PM
One of those things that its up to the owner. If you are having work done, I would add the XR and bump it to 11.8:1. Then you will feel the drastic change when the head work is done and back up and running. Unless you have a 440, It wont harm the reliability of the 400. But, If you don't want to raise the compression, You're quad and money, But now would be the time to add it while its apart and dial it in.
Either way, Id still go to the local Honda shop for the gasket. That way you know you will get the correct part and you can cross the #'s and see if it is in fact the same through all the years.

400man
12-27-2013, 08:22 PM
so the xr400 gasket would raise the compression that much??? my setup now is a 416 JE 10.8:1, stg2 hotcam, lightend flywheel, yfz450 fcr carb, uni foam filter, white bros R4 full exhaust with shorty silencer. i guess if i did the thin gasket, i would need to run higher octane fuel, or maybe a mix of 93 and race fuel. i can get some 110 pretty easy for about 8$ a gallon on my way to work in town. would it be very noticible and worth the cost for the extra compression?

CJM
12-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Id say its closer to .5 than a whole point.

KKiowaTJ
12-27-2013, 08:58 PM
If it bumps it up .5 and all the work done, I don't see why it would hurt! I hope my motor is stock when it needs rebuild, Id like to go with the XR parts and keep it all Honda. Plus its a part you need anyway, And could make a difference for ya. Only kicker is will it need race fuel or 93 enough? I would think it would run more efficient on 93 if tuned right, But you could also tune it for race fuel too. Guess it comes down to if ya want to give it a try or not.

400man
12-27-2013, 10:07 PM
ehhhh.....i guess i'll order me a xr gasket from my dealer here pretty soon. might as well try it. even if i do gotta spend a lil extra on fuel, it wont kill me, i dont really ride as much as i used to.

but no matter what i do, it still wont beat my brother's banshee lol

DragonGunner
12-28-2013, 06:22 AM
ehhhh.....i guess i'll order me a xr gasket from my dealer here pretty soon. might as well try it. even if i do gotta spend a lil extra on fuel, it wont kill me, i dont really ride as much as i used to.

but no matter what i do, it still wont beat my brother's banshee lol

You wouldn't need full race fuel anyway.....and 50/50 could be strong also......93 might get ya by, but probably a gallon of race fuel to 4 gallons of 93 octane would bump it enough if your worried when first running it....you can keep diluting it till you get to 93 and see if it starts knocking a little. If it running good on 93 you should be ok.

2001400exrida
12-28-2013, 08:25 AM
xr400 head gasket will only slightly raise the compression, barely a half point. it definitely won't raisee it a whole point. Also don't waste your money at the dealership, you can get good cometic gaskets online or even oem gaskets from RMATV for much cheaper. I personally use tusk, i know lots of guys like to bash me for my budget purchasing, but i've never had a problem with the tusk gasket kits, they seem to work great. Also, all head gaskets for the 400ex will work on the 400ex, there is no difference in years with the head gaskets. The only reason i can thin they may have changed the part numbers is because the thickness might have changed slightly.

KKiowaTJ
12-28-2013, 11:30 AM
When I ordered my clutch, It came with a folded up gasket that was thin as chit, Like a few rows of news paper. Ordered from RMATV, OEM, Same thing only they folded and creased the cardboard backing so the gasket had weak spots in it and not uniform. The one from Honda, Cost me $3 less and was flawless and was there in a couple days.
Of all parts bought over the net, Gaskets is never one of them. That's just me, Others might never have that problem, I just choose the Honda shop for gaskets.

2001400exrida
12-28-2013, 12:06 PM
first time i've ever heard of a folded gasket. i would have sent that right back because they don't fold gaskets, period. I order all of mine from Rmatv and ebay and they are never folded. also the clutch gasket is paper thin, that's how they are, they aren't layered they are just a thin gasket.

KKiowaTJ
12-28-2013, 09:12 PM
first time i've ever heard of a folded gasket. i would have sent that right back because they don't fold gaskets, period. I order all of mine from Rmatv and ebay and they are never folded. also the clutch gasket is paper thin, that's how they are, they aren't layered they are just a thin gasket.

FedEx blamed RM and vice versa. RM did give me a credit toward next purchase, FedEx b!tched out and im pretty sure they are the ones because it came in a soft package and it had the sticker ' don't fold' or something to that extent.

The one from Honda and RM, Were noticeably thicker, Not a fat gasket, But far from the POS that came with and never could find out the maker of it. OEM, Cometic, Vesrah sp?, I never had any problems with in the past.

Tusk is new to me, They were coming around when I got out of the sport years ago. Aside from a clutch, There are a couple tusk parts on my list. The rear axle for one and if I cant find the old style AC pro peg's, I'm gonna go with the tusk ones.
I know their parts are cheaper, But I don't see where they are inferior except the sticker/bling aspect. Im a clutch abuser so I had to get a better, But not a GTT this time so I settled for a DRCF kit.
Aside from price, Whats so 'budget' about tusk? I mean if I followed a circuit around and was a contender, Yeah id just call houser or LSR, But I would think they would be selling or could sell parts for toys that fly and land hard. if they break easy they would be liable for medical bills and as is most tusk parts have a lifetime warranty. I see nothing wrong there saving a few $$ with a lifetime warranty.

2001400exrida
12-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Oh I Gotya so it was packaged wrong or got wrecked in shipping. I was thinking why would they fold a gasket intentionally. I've heard the tusk clutches are bad I'll find out since I just installed one lol.