PDA

View Full Version : cheap mods for an 86 250r?

MiCrO
03-20-2003, 03:39 PM
right now i got an esr trx 5 pipe and a dirt digger clutch and was wanting a little more power still... i was thinking of getting a cool head with a smaller dome to bump the compression up a bit and the fact that it removes the head gasket and cools better is a plus... is this a good idea? ive also heard about using the later model 250r's longer rod and using a spacer plate is this a good mod to do? here are some pics too from the recient san felipe 250

http://www.pe.net/~gkwill/250r.jpg

http://www.pe.net/~gkwill/250r1.jpg

stocktires
03-20-2003, 04:33 PM
A cool head still uses a gasket.
The long rod with a spacer plate and 86 piston will only change the powerband, not give more power. It'll smooth out your powerband to where it's not so harsh and "lightswitch like" so you hook up better and dont get tired as easily.
A cool head is a great idea though!
I feel bad though if you used barnett clutch components :(
You could get a reed spacer, a boyessen rad valve, porting, a bigger carb, ect ect.
It depends on your current mods, your budget, and what kind of power/riding you want/do.

seven
03-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Pipe, Reeds,38 Kheihin carb. After that port and polish. Dont waste your money on a cool head unless you just like the way they look. Just have your local shop mill the stock head.

310Rduner
03-20-2003, 06:04 PM
ive got a reed spacer you can take off my hands for 15 bucks, ive never run it and i still have the gasket.. will add a little more power:macho

MiCrO
03-20-2003, 07:33 PM
sorry about the reed spacer but i still wanna run my stock air box incase i feel the need to plow through a nice big puddle of water or somethin....

I feel bad though if you used barnett clutch components ?? why

ok well i guess my next mod will be a v-force reed cage and milled head how much should i mill it? my manual on it says that the 86's have a lower compression ratio than the later engines

and my budget is about $500 or maybe less if i can save some money that would be cool.. but im about to go to glamis again soon and i want a little bit more power... and last time i was there i blew a head gasket... and that sucked...

i would like to improve the handling on it too and get a shorter 88-89 swingarm but my local salvage yard wanted $375 for one and $500 for used aftermarket a-arms

does removing the air box and getting a reed spacer help enough to justify the removal?

and this is my bike
http://www.pe.net/~gkwill/my250r.jpg

and this is another quad on the 250
http://www.pe.net/~gkwill/raptor.jpg

mysticfalcon
03-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
ive got a reed spacer you can take off my hands for 15 bucks, ive never run it and i still have the gasket.. will add a little more power:macho
i'll take that off your hands if you still have it in a week when i get payed next

310Rduner
03-21-2003, 02:46 PM
mystic, pm me later, and well figure out shipping costs and what-not then.

be glad to make 15 or so bucks, off it, its been sitting in my garage in a box anyways... i can get you a pic if you want

TRX250R87
03-22-2003, 02:10 PM
The reed spacer won't do much just like the spacer plate but like mentioned above, it may help smooth out the power.
What kind of power are you looking for? I see you have the TRX-5 pipe which is more for mid to top end power. A larger than stock carb will help quite a bit. Somwthing like a 38mm Keihin PWK or Mikuni TMX will work great.
If you want more low end power try a thinner head gasket like a stock '89 CR or peel apart a stock gasket and use a thin piece. You can also advance your timing with an adjustable counter ballancer holder made by Hinson or PRM. Race gas would be a good idea then.
ERIC

MiCrO
03-23-2003, 11:12 AM
thanks allot i will look into those mods. the head gasket thing sounds like a good idea. i actually think my bottem end sounds loose so i better check it out soon before it blows up on me.. and while i got it apart i might try taking a new head gasket apart and doing that..