PDA

View Full Version : 04/05 scratch build? XC

MtnEX
12-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Alright guys, I am considering a scratch build here.

I wouldn't call it a hybrid, but more of a mate up what you got build.

What I have is a source for an 04/05 R motor to build and a complete 400EX.

My thought was to part out or set aside what I don't need from the 400 and put a 450R motor, harness, CDI on it.

So I need to get a list together of what all parts I should window shop.... harness, CDI, coil, radiator, fan, oil cooler, lines, carb, cables, bla bla bla...

Motor mods of course will be heavily influenced by whatever the particular motor needs. But I don't know that I want to go ape on it. I am thinking more along the lines of smooth easy to ride woods power and low budget.

Anyways, if anyone has some advice on what all to look for there and/or any other things I might want to adapt to the chassis... like whatever... I know brakes... but like swinger, etc etc...

jcs003
12-19-2013, 05:53 AM
you will be better off getting a 450r frame and a-arms and fitting the rest of the 400ex components as they are relatively similiar. (not exact)

john

chronicsmoke
12-19-2013, 06:07 AM
For the simplicity of it, getting a 450r frame would make things much easier on you.. But are you talking about swapping the motor from your '00 or do you have another frame that you're going to start with?

For engine mods I'd put a St. 1 or St 2 cam in it, 12:1 CP piston, slip on or cheap used full exhaust and you'll have a nice little torquey 450 that's, perfect for trails and somewhat easy on the wallet.

I know I got it from a friend on here, but I wasd able to pick up a decent 450r chassis for $150 bucks after I trashed mine.. just something to consider.

Then again, I do love hybrid 400ex builds :D