PDA

View Full Version : No spark after sitting

450R NOOB
12-18-2013, 05:25 PM
05 450r, ran fine when I put it up last - a few months ago - now has no spark. Tried it over Thanksgiving and it backfired once after kicking for about ten minutes, didn't have time to mess with it then. Not sure where to start; seems like most threads describing electrical issues start while riding and it ends up being stator or something; mine has just been sitting. Also, headlights don't light up at all when kicking over, not sure if that helps. I do own a multimeter if there's anything I can check before I go buying unnecessary parts. Unfortunately i don't know anyone with a 450 that I can swap parts with. Any ideas?

blacknblue#2
12-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Are you 100% positive its not getting spark? Being that its backfired makes it sound like its gettin spark?

450R NOOB
12-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Yea, grounded a new spark plug and got no spark when kicking.

CJM
12-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Coil, CDI or stator. Not sure which since you cant swap parts. Im no electrical guru, you wanna contact DnB on this forum for that one. Hopefully he sees this post.

CJM
12-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Coil, CDI or stator. Contact DnB on this forum, he is the electrical guru

CJM
12-19-2013, 04:47 PM

CJM
12-19-2013, 04:48 PM

DnB_racing
12-19-2013, 05:49 PM
there are several tests but most require a peak voltage meter, some resistance checks can be made with a multi meter..

here is a link for a service manual to help with the readings
you need to use a password to download and its ... hondaatvforums.net
http://www.mediafire.com/?p0wmlb20fjlqizv.

chapter 20 gives the 04/05 troubleshooting guide its a good place to start

before doing any of these I would check all your connections including the kill switch or anything that water may have contacted when you last washed it, maybe some oxidation has formed on your connections while sitting

450R NOOB
12-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the replies and info. Looks like a homemade peak voltage adapter can be made without too much difficulty so i'll try to work on that tomorrow as well as go over all my connections. Does the fact that the headlights aren't getting power point in any direction?

blacknblue#2
12-20-2013, 04:06 AM
DNB is right about triple check all connections. What kind of climate was it stored in? Humid and hot? Did you wash it right before putting it away? I didnt mean to belittle ya when i ask ya if it for sure didnt have spark I just wanted to be sure myself. Ive seen too many ppl say "I dont have spark, Ive kicked my quad 496 times and it wont start, why isnt it sparking" haha

450R NOOB
12-20-2013, 09:17 AM
No worries, the fact that it backfired kind of threw me but I guess it was just a fluke. Stored in an enclosed shed but not insulated or sealed; sure it got hot and humid in there over the summer. Peak voltage adapter isn't as easy as I thought, well getting the parts for it isn't, so I'll be going over connections today and seeing if that gets me anywhere.

450R NOOB
12-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Found a couple of interesting things: First, in the key switch connector, the book says there should be continuity between the black/white and green wire as well as the red and black wire when the key is off, and no continuity when the key is on. Mine shows no continuity between the red and black unless the switch is on. Might be due to previous work since the handlebars have been changed but how can I bypass the key to check if that's the problem? Also, there should be no continuity between the alternator plug and ground, mine has continuity in all three wires which points to stator correct? I'm referring to the yellow wires in the 3p connector that comes out of the left side crank case cover (which come from stator if I remember correctly).

DnB_racing
12-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Found a couple of interesting things: First, in the key switch connector, the book says there should be continuity between the black/white and green wire as well as the red and black wire when the key is off, and no continuity when the key is on. Mine shows no continuity between the red and black unless the switch is on. Might be due to previous work since the handlebars have been changed but how can I bypass the key to check if that's the problem? Also, there should be no continuity between the alternator plug and ground, mine has continuity in all three wires which points to stator correct? I'm referring to the yellow wires in the 3p connector that comes out of the left side crank case cover (which come from stator if I remember correctly). just an FYI:::in many studies of electrical failures its been proven over 95% of component failure was directly related to bad connections.... just a little info to hit the point home of the connections being checked...

the key switch: with key OFF the blk/wht and green wires should have continuity this is your kill circuit, and the blk and red should be open when in OFF,, when key ON open connections on the blk/wht to green (kill circuit) and closed on the red and black wires .. on the 04/05 you can just unplug the key and it will run (however you wont have any power for lights or fan unless the red and black have a closed loop

on the yellow stator wires to ground.... you will get a coil reading between the yellow wires but it shouldn't be a complete short circuit to ground from the yellow wires

450R NOOB
12-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Makes sense, I was thinking the diagram in the book might have been off and I haven't seen a bit of corrosion, no open wires, or anything really. Resistance between wires are in spec, on continuity setting, wires to ground all showed about 50(not sure of units) on multimeter. Would this be considered a complete short circuit?

450R NOOB
06-30-2014, 04:19 PM
Finally got some time to work on it so I'm reviving this thread. Put an rmstator in it last night but still no spark. Old stator did look burned up in one place so seemed like the culprit. Everything checked within spec using pva except for low wire(blue) coming from exciter coil. Low wire tested at low voltage with previous stator too but exciter coil is part of stator and therefore new. Took reading at connector coming straight from stator so its not a bad wire. I used dialectic grease on all connections; really at a loss now. Also, if 6p connector that includes exciter coil wires is plugged into ICM, both high and low voltages test within spec, still no spark but might have some meaning.