PDA

View Full Version : Any wood burners here?

2001400exrida
12-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Am I the only one obsessed with heating my garage/mud room with wood heat? I can't get enough of it! Installed a wood burner this past summer and have a large amount of wood stockpiled from this fall when i was cutting trees with a friend. I heat it even when I'm not there, just to keep my atv's warm :)

fastredrider44
12-17-2013, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with it, but yes, I heat with wood. Sell firewood in the winter too.

2001400exrida
12-18-2013, 07:32 AM
I just supplement my garage and porch room area with it, do you heat entirely with wood? I've been looking at the outdoor wood broilers than run heat to the house using the furnace blower. they're a few grand, but if I can eliminate natural gas this may be in my future.

fastredrider44
12-18-2013, 10:38 AM
My dad heats his house entirely with wood. We don't have real bad winters here, but I'd say he burns about 10 ricks a year. (house is insulated very well too) He has a wood furnace in his basement that has a blower on it and pushes heat through all the duct works. It uses a thermostat to open and close a vent and a temperature switch to operate the blower. He keeps his house about 72 all winter. At my house, I'm on propane, but may install an outdoor furnace myself in the distant future. In my shop, I use a barrel stove. I knock the chill with a torpedo heater, then let wood do the rest.

wilkin250r
12-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Natural gas is probably just as cheap as wood, unless you're cutting/chopping your own, but then you have to factor how much your time and effort is worth.

I have been on propane for five years, but just for the hot water, I don't run the furnace at all. I heat the house entirely with wood because propane is so gawd-awful expensive. I say I got through between three and five cords per year, depending how cold/long the winter is, and how much I heat my garage (wood stove in there, too)

Pacheco_450r
01-19-2014, 08:36 AM
This would come in handy.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KdXzaGFkWfU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KKiowaTJ
01-20-2014, 08:34 PM
No matter the system, I still come home and smell like a F'N campfire. Some cant smell it, I can and cant stand it. For the time and effort, Having to go load it up, Its much easier to fill my LP tanks and use space heaters. Gas/LP is expensive in the winter, Electricity is cheap in the winter. My whole house is electric lol. So I had to go buy a gene when we moved in here.
Dollar for dollar, They most likely come out the same. I usually pay in cash and talk to the dude as he pumps it, So I get it even cheaper. The kicker, My house is a flat slab house that's new and I have the heating fins in the floor, Garage and house. Im just to lazy to get a water heater and plumb all the connections and whatnot in.

2001400exrida
01-21-2014, 05:21 AM
Wood is definitely more work but I actually enjoy cutting, splitting, and hauling.

Honda5
01-21-2014, 05:25 AM
I have a wood boiler and its great. No wood in the house and smoke or ash and I can heat my shop 24x36 and 3000sft house with no problem keeping them both at 74 when it's 5 degrees out. Also have a pellet insert for the days and weeks its not too cold

2001400exrida
01-21-2014, 07:26 AM
^^i'm seriously looking into one of these. do you use your furnace blower to pull the air through? 5 degrees here today, got another cold week ahead of us!

Honda5
01-21-2014, 01:39 PM
I have a radiator style transfer in my air handler for my a/c and it works perfect I even have it tied into my thermostat.

KKiowaTJ
01-22-2014, 05:35 PM
^^i'm seriously looking into one of these. do you use your furnace blower to pull the air through? 5 degrees here today, got another cold week ahead of us!

Hope you stocked up, They say around -30f in the area tomorrow. I aint doing chit but chill in the house!

If you like to chop and haul, Then its more cost effective. I used to do it for the workout, But now have many options for that. It draws good money, I should do it for the fact I live in a forest and pure profit lol. But the 'regulations' on cut wood anymore is nuts, Along with state to state.
Next thing ya know, Wendy's will check the sole's of you're shoes to make sure you have grip so you don't fall and sue lmao.