PDA

View Full Version : Coolant?

HondaRacing83
12-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Whats everybody running for coolant? Im almost positive mines still stock honda stuff. My dad always ran engine ice in his grizzly and liked it i guess. Ive heard people say engine ice is bad but idk. I just read something about people runnmig straight distilled water in the summer?

CJM
12-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Dont run water, it cools slightly better than regular coolant but should it get cold it will freeze and your done.

I honestly run plain jane green coolant you can buy just about anywhere, mixed 70/30 (coolant to water). Everything I own is done that way and I never had an issue ever.

HondaRacing83
12-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Is your rad and full cooling system stock? I wanna keep this thing cool because i do some heavy riding in the summer on long rides really whooping on it. Im stil skeptical coming off a 400ex im scared this thing will grenade

2001400exrida
12-15-2013, 09:28 AM
if it's not going to freeze around you, distilled water is fine. otherwise you can run the green stuff just make sure it's silicate free and safe for aluminum, almost all of them on the shelves are now. also mix 50-50.

CJM
12-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Is your rad and full cooling system stock? I wanna keep this thing cool because i do some heavy riding in the summer on long rides really whooping on it. Im stil skeptical coming off a 400ex im scared this thing will grenade

Totally stock, mine never gets hot really. Do understand these quads do run hotter overall than a 400ex does. More coolant=higher boiling point.

2001400exrida
12-15-2013, 10:05 AM
i've never had a problem with my 450 running hot, in fact the fan rarely ever kicks on. On my 400 however, it does start to run hhot on the trails if it's a warm day and we're in tight sections. many people add fans to their 400's because they are notorious for running hot.

if your 450 cooling system is working properly then you should never have overheating problems

hondaracing this is a liquid cooled 450, u dont have to wory about it overheating if your cooling system is running proper.

CJM
12-15-2013, 11:46 AM
I dont know, maybe my 450 is a hunk of junk or I dont know what Im doing: but the header and engine itself run much hotter than my old properly setup 400 did. Can easily burn your leg or melt your pants on the 450r header.

But hey, maybe Im just wrong???

chronicsmoke
12-16-2013, 06:16 AM
Whats everybody running for coolant? Im almost positive mines still stock honda stuff. My dad always ran engine ice in his grizzly and liked it i guess. Ive heard people say engine ice is bad but idk. I just read something about people runnmig straight distilled water in the summer?

All i run is engine ice.. $20 bucks to fill your rad every once an a while isn't bad. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside which is worth the $20 :p

I only had my bike overheat at an XC race that was muddy and I had my hood taped so my rad didn't get clogged up when the race started.. When the light came on at about lap 3 I just ditched the tape and my light never came back on.

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/9108/k57c.jpg

after I ripped it off..

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/9000/0qbt.jpg

One time at an MX race I finished my heat and came back to the pits and left my bike at idle for about 30 seconds.. the fan temp switch came unplugged and started boiling the coolant out onto the exhaust so I found a massive white cloud when I returned.. My heart sank for a minute until I found the problem, lol.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
12-16-2013, 09:39 AM
GTThunder coolant has been the best/only coolant I will ever use again. It is already premixed, so just stick it in and go!! My 450 seems to get hotter than other's, and I would overheat if I didn't run my fan constantly besides in the winter. Don't need a fan with snow on the ground. Since switching to GTT I haven't had an overheating issue.

Some guys will say to use Evan's coolant. It is hard on o-ring seals, and has a really high boiling point which means that you could not overheat and still have issues. You want to bike to blow coolant if it does get to a certain point of temperature.

HondaRacing83
12-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Im thinking i might run gt thunder ive heard good things about it plus its realy cheap.