PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Caliper Rebuild

BlasterEaten250
12-13-2013, 09:41 PM
My brake caliper is leaking fluid where the skinny shaft connected to the piston comes out on the parking brake side. It seems like if I get new seals around the piston it should stop it. Has anybody ever rebuilt a caliper with success. Not sure if I should waste the money getting new seals and trying to get it to work or if I should just drop the money on a new caliper from the start. Any input? Thank you.

DragonGunner
12-14-2013, 06:07 AM
I have never tore mine down that far, but just looked at the manual and doesn't look to hard to do, there is a seal there. Long time ago I took it off and put a block off on, seems I noticed some brake fluid leaking, so when I put the block off on I put some sealer on it and snugged up good and tight, if its still leaking it has never got past the block off.

JOHNDOE83
12-14-2013, 09:11 AM
I have never tore mine down that far, but just looked at the manual and doesn't look to hard to do, there is a seal there. Long time ago I took it off and put a block off on, seems I noticed some brake fluid leaking, so when I put the block off on I put some sealer on it and snugged up good and tight, if its still leaking it has never got past the block off.

I rebuilt mine when i first got my quad, it wasnt very hard at all, pretty self explainatory.

I re did the piston and some seals, replaced some other misc parts took about 30 min and bolted it on and worked like new!

BlasterEaten250
12-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Well I tore it down this morning and put a new o ring in there and it's still leaking. I think I may have damaged the piston while knocking it loose (it was siezed). You are right though, it was pretty simple to do. Guess it's time for a new caliper after 11 years :ermm:

miller821
12-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Well I tore it down this morning and put a new o ring in there and it's still leaking. I think I may have damaged the piston while knocking it loose (it was siezed). You are right though, it was pretty simple to do. Guess it's time for a new caliper after 11 years :ermm:

If you're looking for a used one shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with one.

Blodg
12-16-2013, 08:32 AM
The only hard part about rebuilding brake calipers is usually getting the pistons out. The best way I have found is to hook up a grease gun to the bleeder fitting and pump enough grease in to push them out. It is more messy to clean up because everything is full of grease but it won't damage the piston (s).

bonpasbrute
12-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Compressed air works also.

BlasterEaten250
12-17-2013, 10:40 AM
If you're looking for a used one shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with one. Thank you for the offer but I just went ahead and got a brand new one. I will probably keep this quad forever and this should keep me worry free for a long time.

miller821
12-17-2013, 11:57 AM
I don't blame ya bud, a lot less hassle buying new... Your brother still has his 400?

shuey
12-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Miller i just PM'ed you

BlasterEaten250
12-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Yeah he still has it, I think it's been out one time this whole year though. Neither of us ride like we used to anymore. Hopefully after we both get settled down one day we will dust them off and start riding again