View Full Version : Bearing carrier

HondaRacing83
12-13-2013, 03:07 PM
My 450 needs a new carrier and bearings whats everybody running? Im thinkin i might get a lsr dual row for $130 or the east coast atv one for $95 idk yet

Extremerider
12-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Running an east coast one with all balls bearings.

Mtndew99
12-13-2013, 08:20 PM
In my opinion there all the same just use good bearings and you mise well get a cheap carrier off eBay with a grease fitting on the side

mxquad53
12-14-2013, 09:57 AM
^^ x2

HondaRacing83
12-14-2013, 10:19 PM
I think im gonna get the east coast one

CJM
12-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Heard a few stories the carrier is good, but the bearings in them east coast ones are junk.

HondaRacing83
12-15-2013, 01:21 PM
What about lonestar or rad

CJM
12-15-2013, 01:36 PM
What about lonestar or rad

I tried the rad, dunno what happened but even though it was marked for a 450 it was catching on my sprocket bolts. I have a lonestar cast carrier right now. The east coast carrier was on my quad when I first got it, the thing lasted 4 rides. The bearings literally grenaded. Not sure how much time it had before I got it, but it wasnt all beat up like everything else was so I assume not long.

HondaRacing83
12-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Ever looked in the gibson ones? A lonestar billet is $150 an an east coast is $95 and a gibson is only $130 so im tore. The rad looks funky anyways.

CJM
12-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Never tried a gibson, the cast lonestar I think cost me like 100 off honda toledo (site sponsor here).

Balaz_73*00
12-16-2013, 08:22 AM
I raced a full hard season (11 races) on a brand new East Coast one. Worked great. I will be putting near bearings on this off season as preventative maintenance. Id highly suggest it for the price and fact it is billet. CMJ is bashing it without knowing the history or time on his used one. Buy a new one for 95 bucks. Dont over tighten it, which is what generally casues them to fail. You can get a full season with no worries. And a new bearing kit will run about $40.

chronicsmoke
12-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Have you found a place that has the replacements, Balaz? I have one that uses Chevy S-10 compressor bearings that are hard to find (I found finally them on amazon for ~50 bucks)

I think that it's the EastCoast carrier, I got it on E-bay ~2011 might be a different e-bay one though I forget..

CJM
12-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Never said I was bashing, but telling you balaz that I recall reading in the past people having issues with the bearings. As well of course as the one that was ruined. I rode for 3 years on a lonestar carrier no issues, thats nearly every weekend riding for at least 4-8 hours or better.

@Chronic: look for chevy 1999 K2500 air condition compressor bearings. Should be the right part, bearing # 907257. Check yours.

Balaz_73*00
12-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Ive hear pivot works has a dual row replacement kit (I havent saw it nor have I looked for it) as well as All Balls. I had a bad experience with All Balls products so I wont run them (bought tie rod ends and after two ride they were way loose). Ive always defaulted to buying "RAD" replacement bearings. They have the kit (2 bearings and 2 seals) for $40. In my opinion they make a high quality product so I trust the bearings. Used them to rebuild many times with no issues.

http://www.radmfg.com/ABS-2-Bearing-Seal-Kit-Double-p/abs-2.htm

I have read about the A/C bearings but rather not play the guessing game. I can order and have the right stuff within a few days. No guessing and no having to worry about buying seals seperately.

chronicsmoke
12-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Ive hear pivot works has a dual row replacement kit (I havent saw it nor have I looked for it) as well as All Balls. I had a bad experience with All Balls products so I wont run them (bought tie rod ends and after two ride they were way loose). Ive always defaulted to buying "RAD" replacement bearings. They have the kit (2 bearings and 2 seals) for $40. In my opinion they make a high quality product so I trust the bearings. Used them to rebuild many times with no issues.

http://www.radmfg.com/ABS-2-Bearing-Seal-Kit-Double-p/abs-2.htm

I have read about the A/C bearings but rather not play the guessing game. I can order and have the right stuff within a few days. No guessing and no having to worry about buying seals seperately.

I hear you, I'll see if I can get the RAD ones in as spares. I had a few stock rebuild kits on hand and tried to double them up to fit but they ended up being too wide and the brake caliper didn't even get close to fitting ont he rotor.. expensive trial and error process, lol. :p

Thanks Andy

2001400exrida
12-16-2013, 09:46 AM
I've run the LSR carriers and the stock carriers. honestly for what i do, the stock carriers have been nothing less than awesome. I started replacing the bearings every season regardless so I don't have any suprises. The 450r stock carriers have a dual row bearing on the sprocket side and a single one on the rotor side. If you catch the bearings before they get terrible you can simply buy bearings for $25 and replace as they go bad.

blacknblue#2
12-16-2013, 01:06 PM
I've run the LSR carriers and the stock carriers. honestly for what i do, the stock carriers have been nothing less than awesome. I started replacing the bearings every season regardless so I don't have any suprises. The 450r stock carriers have a dual row bearing on the sprocket side and a single one on the rotor side. If you catch the bearings before they get terrible you can simply buy bearings for $25 and replace as they go bad.

My only complaint with any carrier, any brand is they do not have enought grease in the bearings, And greasing the carrier is useless with sealed bearings. I buy east coast carrriers cause they last just as long as any other brand. But when i buy a new carrier i press the bearings out, pack them and leave the inner bearing seal off so that i can grease the carrier and actually supply the bearings with grease. Grease is the life of any bearing and for some reason they spare on it from the factory.

HondaRacing83
12-16-2013, 02:16 PM
The stock carrier and bearings suck in any honda quad do they are wimpy and simply terrible i dont know what you are talking about. Im still in the air but im leaning towards an east coast

2001400exrida
12-17-2013, 09:04 AM
The stock carrier and bearings suck in any honda quad do they are wimpy and simply terrible i dont know what you are talking about.

I personally have had great luck with the oem carriers/bearings, which is why i continue to run them and replace the bearings as needed. Just curious as to why you think they suck?

Kovatch
12-17-2013, 11:01 AM
I have a Baldwin carrier in my Yami and it's been great. I had two seasons of racing MX on it with no complaints or signs of fatigue. I had it rebuilt to keep up on maintenance. The "old" bearings were still smooth and I had a lot of grease left in the carrier.

Some companies cheap out on the bearings to keep the costs low. A cheaper price is more attractive to the buyer.

coryatver
12-17-2013, 09:59 PM
I run stock dual sprocket guards don't fit aftermarket bearing carriers and the stock bearings you can find anywhere and fit and finish is best with stock no need to buy aftermarket

fastredrider44
12-18-2013, 10:32 AM
I personally run OEM carriers, install a grease zerk in them and pop the inner dust seals out of the insides of the outer bearings and the dust seals out of the inner bearing on the sprocket side.