PDA

View Full Version : trail tech voyager good idea or bad

dirtyMOrider
12-10-2013, 09:26 PM
I am looking in to a trail tech voyager i trail ride so.i see itvas a good addition but Im looking for some insight on if it is a good product or if its a waste of money what is your option on it

Stickman400
12-10-2013, 11:37 PM
I've got the Vapor on mine and it's worked great. Had to make up my own mount and there isn't really a good spot to put the temp. sensor but it's worked flawlessly since I installed it. Idk how the gps would work on those but I'm sure it would be of good quality and hold up well. I used to be on the fence about Trail Tech products but they have stepped their game up now. They make good stuff.

LxMxL97
12-11-2013, 05:44 AM
What exactly are they like a computer that displays speed and what not

dirtyMOrider
12-11-2013, 06:43 AM
They are a gps and data logging unit witch allows you to see speed, engine temp, rpms in relation to ambient temp and elevation so it is a not so smart version of what is in most newer vehicles

LxMxL97
12-11-2013, 07:32 AM
That's interesting how does it tell the rpm? Meaning where does the sensor go

dirtyMOrider
12-11-2013, 10:04 AM
The sensor goes on the ignition coil

KKiowaTJ
12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
They are a joke unless you ride in 100% clean environment and the sensor for speed don't get dust or anything on it. The RPM is a joke also, Its a half a second behind so it serves no purpose but for looks. Just a pure waste of money that could be spent on better parts or even a hat serves a better purpose. To each their own

CJM
12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
A simple tach/hour meter is a much better choice imho.

dirtyMOrider
12-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Im not looking for a tach or hour meter that is just a extra Im more interested in a gps and the engine temp

LxMxL97
12-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Im not looking for a tach or hour meter that is just a extra Im more interested in a gps and the engine temp

The temp is the thing that I want I could care less about everything else

jcs003
12-11-2013, 02:09 PM
i have the trail-tech vapor on my trx250r and its an excellent temp instrument. worth the $35 or whatever.

john

Stickman400
12-11-2013, 11:08 PM
The RPMs are slightly delayed, but by maybe a 1/2 second. You can only notice it if you are just chopping the throttle from closed to WOT and then back to closed in quick succession. I mainly use if to set the idle RPM anyway. The temp. sensor, like I said, has no good place for it so it doesn't really do much. I tried putting it on the spark plug like it said but the way the spark plug is on the 400 it won't work. I put it on that big acorn nut for the head but it gets too hot and doesn't read after the engine gets up over 300 on the top of the head. The speedometer is bang on all the time and the timer and odometer and everything works perfect. It's got a backlight which is on constantly if you wire it to the battery which is nice at night and it also has programmable shift and over rev lights. As well as programmable temp. warning lights If you can get the temp sensor somewhere different. The clock and ambient temp. is also handy instead of having to take your gloves and gear off to see what time/temp. it is on your phone.

All in all I think if you do a lot of fast trail riding or like to see cool little facts/numbers about the ride you just had (ie. ride time, average speed, total miles, temp., time) it's well worth it. Having the altitude, gps coordinates, ambient temp. for each location on the ride would be icing on the cake on some long trail rides.

Now, with all that being said. As much as I like it and think it's cool, if it does ever **** up and start not working or something it'll go on the shelf and I'll never touch one again. I had an older version of it back when I first bought my 400 and it **** out on me the first winter I had it and wouldn't work after that. So I ditched it and said I'd give them 1 more try after they work all the kinks out in a few years.

LxMxL97
12-12-2013, 04:49 AM
Well I race xc so on those long hot muddy races it would be nice to have a reference but how hot is to hot?

KKiowaTJ
12-12-2013, 05:05 PM
That's a good question, I have had mine unbearable to ride and still pulled like hell and no problems after cooling down. Its a motor that can take pretty much anything you can throw at it with in reason.

If it were me, Id get a temp sensor and try and mount it on the oil tank somewhere so you get decent reading. Or see if one of the thermometer dipsticks are worth a ****. But the downside to the 400's is oil cooled vs liquid and the easier sensor install and readout.
IMO its something not needed on a 400 if you have the proper oil and filter in it and change it often along with the correct jetting.

LxMxL97
12-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Mine runs HOT and it's just one of those things that bother me along with the TICK��

dirtyMOrider
12-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Stickman400 thank you for you review i found it very helpfull and being that i work in a machine shop i spent most the day making a drain plug adapter so you can better tell engine oil temp only to realize after wars that trail tech has already made it and for under 40 bucks witch is cheaper than i can make one in our shop on my spare time i believe that a oil temp sensor would be better than a temp sensor that only tells you the temp of the outside of engine block

Stickman400
12-12-2013, 11:16 PM
I've got an XR's Only temperature dipstick on mine also and it works like a charm. My oil is usually around 225-235, 250 when it is really hot and I'm running it hard. The temp. sensor they give you with the Vapor is just a copper washer that fits around the spark plug with a wire coming off of it basically, not the greatest design imho.

LxMxL97
12-13-2013, 05:44 AM
My only problem is that I can't just hop off my bike in the middle of a race to check the temp on my dipstick just out of couriousity I might get the vapor even if it is not very accurate but I'll be able to know what it usually runs at just as a reference

dirtyMOrider
12-13-2013, 07:03 AM
The oil temp sensor form trail tech goes in the crankcase drain plug its a probe style sensor like most vehicles have and plugs in voyager or vapor whatever one your using

CJM
12-13-2013, 04:13 PM
LxMxL97: if it runs hot then either the oil isnt cooling properly and something is restricted or its too lean. Even before my oversized oil tank my 400 never ran hot ever.

LxMxL97
12-13-2013, 04:39 PM
It's ran this hot ever since I got it 6 years ago it's probably nothing I should be worried about don't 400s run hot anyways?

CJM
12-13-2013, 04:42 PM
It's ran this hot ever since I got it 6 years ago it's probably nothing I should be worried about don't 400s run hot anyways?

Yea, if you leave them jetted the way they come from the factory. They come lean from the factory to comply with emissions. Too hot and you cook the topend however. Id suggest upping your main by at least 1 size and upping the pilot to a 42 to help cold starting.

LxMxL97
12-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Yea, if you leave them jetted the way they come from the factory. They come lean from the factory to comply with emissions. Too hot and you cook the topend however. Id suggest upping your main by at least 1 size and upping the pilot to a 42 to help cold starting.

Never had a problem with cold starting it can be 20 degrees out and it will fire right up with the choke

dirtyMOrider
12-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Yeah mine will fire up with the choke in cold weather but i have to choke mine the same at 50 degrees as at 20 degrees and i think it should have to do that heck my diesel trucks not even that cold natured and diesel is a lot harder to start than gas

CJM
12-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Never had a problem with cold starting it can be 20 degrees out and it will fire right up with the choke
It should fire right up with no choke when its not freezing outside.

Like I said, they are to lean from the factory.

dirtyMOrider
12-13-2013, 10:43 PM
So rejet it and it will fire just fine

CJM
12-14-2013, 08:11 AM
So rejet it and it will fire just fine
exactly.

LxMxL97
12-14-2013, 10:18 AM
When it's warm it starts fine but I'm going to rejet it because I bought a different pipe and bored it to a 416

CJM
12-14-2013, 11:25 AM
When it's warm it starts fine but I'm going to rejet it because I bought a different pipe and bored it to a 416

Then for sure you need to rejet!

Stickman400
12-15-2013, 11:29 PM
The oil temp sensor form trail tech goes in the crankcase drain plug its a probe style sensor like most vehicles have and plugs in voyager or vapor whatever one your using

My Vapor didn't come with an oil temp. probe, just the washer style temp wire. It did say each model came with it's own stuff. So a 450 would come with a water temp. monitor and a 400 wouldn't. Or maybe I got jipped outta one, who knows.

dirtyMOrider
12-17-2013, 11:49 AM
My Vapor didn't come with an oil temp. probe, just the washer style temp wire. It did say each model came with it's own stuff. So a 450 would come with a water temp. monitor and a 400 wouldn't. Or maybe I got jipped outta one, who knows.

Sorry man i guess i should have worded it better the trail tech kit for the 400 comes with the sensor for the cylinder head but if you don't like that the offer a probe and adapter for the crankcase witch plugs in to the voyager as well as the vapor to tell you engine oil temp

2001400exrida
12-17-2013, 12:43 PM

yes they do. They are air cooled so they don't have a liquid cooled setup like the 450's and some of the other 400's do. This means if you're poking along without much airflow, they will run hot. The 400's do come lean from the factory, but if you intend to leave the machine fully stock as many of my older riding buddies do...you do not need to adjust anything in the carb. The stock carb runs just fine on a stock machine, honda would not release a machine if it was dangerously lean. As soon as you pull the lid or throw a slip on on it, you need to start adjusting the carb, it's a must do! These babies run hot. Mines running a 40pilot and a 178 main jet, 3rd clip on the needle and with my mods it's perfectly in tune, but again, when riding tight trails the motor does heat up because it doesn't have a fan or a radiator or coolant to aide in the cooling. Air cooled machines will heat up without airflow it's the nature of the beast. I do not own one single machine (including my lawn mower, weed eater, and chainsaw, lol) that doesn't require the choke to help start when cold, doesn't mean they are lean. My 450r needs the choke for about the first 10 seconds of startup and then it's fine without it. The 400ex needs it too. I did run a 42 pilot in my 400 for awhile and it eliminated the need for the choke, but also was fouling plugs so stepped down to the 40 and just use the choke briefly to help it fire up. My yammer needs the choke for about 30 seconds before it'll idle without it.