PDA

View Full Version : Stock Suzuki Z400 Vs. Modded 400 Ex???

BIGRED400
03-20-2003, 01:24 PM
I have a 2002 400 EX with K&N JETKIT 165 MAIN,K&N FILTER WITH OUTERWEARS,WHITE BROS. E-SERIES SLIP ON and HAD THIS KID PULL IN MY DRIVEWAY AND TALK ABOUT TAKING ME ,kinda worked on getting my Goat for a while and then being older and wiser started LOL....What do you think fellows????

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-20-2003, 01:28 PM
You will win....(assuming you know how to ride :p)

trxex
03-20-2003, 01:43 PM
i raced my buddies stock z with my 400ex,see mods below.i beat him by about 2 quads in length.we raced 5 times with the same results.it's not a ridder issue because when i first got my 400 it was bone stock and he beat me countless times by a quad or so:cool:

sparks400ex101
03-20-2003, 01:48 PM
i raced one at buckleberry's in N.C. and i beat him repeatedlywith out my cam and piston(didnt have it yet) had the rest though and i took himon holeshot and threw every gear he was close though 1-2 bike lenghts not sure , wont looking back just gunnin it;)

Dune Surfer
03-20-2003, 01:55 PM
A stock z is faster, an ex with a pipe and filter should be about even

sparks400ex101
03-20-2003, 02:01 PM
i agree 99.9%

ZRider400
03-20-2003, 02:56 PM
My friend has a k and n filter, yoshi full exhaust, and dyno jet kit.....and some other things...... he can just keep up with a stock Z400 in a drag..but near top speed the Z pulls ahead a tiny bit. My piped Z can beat him still , but i think a piped ex is about equal to stock Z.

TravEX
03-20-2003, 03:10 PM
with the mods in my sig, i drag raced a KFX400 on pavement about 6 times,,,he would not catch me till top end, i had 15/36 sprockets with my 18" Razors on,,,i'm putting my 20's on this weekend, and don't expect him to be able to catch me now,,,it was a blast racing him,,,i would pull him 2-4 bike lengthes,,,later

skemp
03-21-2003, 07:15 PM
I did some drag racing on ice over the winter at some radar runs, and took a few trophies home, but I ran against quit a few other quads, and was surprised. This is all in roughly 800' I will try to be concise, but here is how it went...

DS650: Pretty beat up looking machine, but seemed to run good nonetheless. Top speed was around 55.4 if I remember right. I raced directly against him off the track and I wasted him, really didn't think I would...

400EX: No motor work, so I assume just a pipe. Top speed around 56. Again, raced directly against him and it was a blowout.

Z400: I didn't have the oppurtunity to race against these guys off the track, but I saw their speeds. The one with a pipe went 58.5 and the one without a pipe went 56.5. (I really wasn't impressed with these after all the hype, but still a nice quad)

Raptor: This was the closest to me. He had a pipe and ran 60.1 top speed. He made his runs, and loaded his quad up, thinking he had won with his speed.

Now for what I ran. I made three runs, one with the airbox lid off, and two with it on. I ran 59.9 my first run (lid on), 60.1 my second run, and 64.2 my last run (lid off). It pulled so much harder with the lid off, I wish I would have had it off the whole time, I probably could have bettered that speed, but I was very impressed with my quad. Thje 640-some ice screws in my tires took care of traction for those of you who might be wondering. This is the first time I really ran against anyone else. Took 1st place for 4 stroke ATV , and even beat all the 2 stroke ATV speeds. If I had known the track was 800' instead of 1000', I would have geared down from my 15/36 gearing.

So that is how it went, my post wasn't very concise after all, but hopefully it was interesting. And for those of you who think I am lying, I'm not. :) I was very surprised myself. I have done all the work myself (short of boring), and very satisfied. Lots of guys were asking me what I had done to it, I am pretty sure the guy on the other EX went home and ordered everything I told him I had :D

One other thing about the Z's. They seem to have great low end power. Take off's were fast, but the power just kind of flattened out midtrack.

twisted threads
03-21-2003, 10:37 PM
I raced a stock Z400 on my Ex and beat him bad.... I wonder Why??:rolleyes: :) Its all good right!!:cool:

trxex
03-22-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by skemp
I did some drag racing on ice over the winter at some radar runs, and took a few trophies home, but I ran against quit a few other quads, and was surprised. This is all in roughly 800' I will try to be concise, but here is how it went...

DS650: Pretty beat up looking machine, but seemed to run good nonetheless. Top speed was around 55.4 if I remember right. I raced directly against him off the track and I wasted him, really didn't think I would...

400EX: No motor work, so I assume just a pipe. Top speed around 56. Again, raced directly against him and it was a blowout.

Z400: I didn't have the oppurtunity to race against these guys off the track, but I saw their speeds. The one with a pipe went 58.5 and the one without a pipe went 56.5. (I really wasn't impressed with these after all the hype, but still a nice quad)

Raptor: This was the closest to me. He had a pipe and ran 60.1 top speed. He made his runs, and loaded his quad up, thinking he had won with his speed.

Now for what I ran. I made three runs, one with the airbox lid off, and two with it on. I ran 59.9 my first run (lid on), 60.1 my second run, and 64.2 my last run (lid off). It pulled so much harder with the lid off, I wish I would have had it off the whole time, I probably could have bettered that speed, but I was very impressed with my quad. Thje 640-some ice screws in my tires took care of traction for those of you who might be wondering. This is the first time I really ran against anyone else. Took 1st place for 4 stroke ATV , and even beat all the 2 stroke ATV speeds. If I had known the track was 800' instead of 1000', I would have geared down from my 15/36 gearing.

So that is how it went, my post wasn't very concise after all, but hopefully it was interesting. And for those of you who think I am lying, I'm not. :) I was very surprised myself. I have done all the work myself (short of boring), and very satisfied. Lots of guys were asking me what I had done to it, I am pretty sure the guy on the other EX went home and ordered everything I told him I had :D

One other thing about the Z's. They seem to have great low end power. Take off's were fast, but the power just kind of flattened out midtrack. your radar times seem inaccurate

OutlawEX
03-22-2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
You will win....(assuming you know how to ride :p)

skemp
03-22-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by trxex
your radar times seem inaccurate

Why do you say that? Just curious...

Steve-o 400EX
03-23-2003, 01:59 AM
Why do you say that? Just curious...

Because ur speed are way low. THe 400ex will top out at 68 or 69. All the others should be around this or a little more.

You will win, we did some races like this and the piped 400 won everytime no contest by about 3 bike lengths.

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-23-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
Because ur speed are way low. THe 400ex will top out at 68 or 69. All the others should be around this or a little more.

I thought the same thing.

skemp
03-23-2003, 12:33 PM
I am very aware that it will top out at that speed, but not in the distance we were running. Keep in mind also that this was on soft ice, on a track that was being ripped up by hundreds of sleds. I'm just telling you how it was... :)

Steve-o 400EX
03-23-2003, 01:02 PM
I am very aware that it will top out at that speed, but not in the distance we were running. Keep in mind also that this was on soft ice, on a track that was being ripped up by hundreds of sleds. I'm just telling you how it was... :)

Yea ya didnt mention the limited amount of space before. I'm about sick of snow and ice now. I cant wait for the summer riding.

skemp
03-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Actually, I did mention that it was 800', but that is just what it was close to. Yeah, it sure does feel good to go outside wearing a t-shirt. My snowmobiling season came to an abrupt hult, but it was still a good one nonetheless. Now it just has to dry out a bit and I will be in heaven! :D