PDA

View Full Version : Input on Hatfield McCoy lodging guys

HowellTRX
12-07-2013, 07:43 PM
We have a group of about 8-10 guys and want to book a trip like last week in March or first week in April. Our big problem is we don't know where to book. I'm hearing horror stories from various different places. Who has gone recently? Where did you stay? Would you recommend it? We're not even sure on which trailhead to go to but would like to choose one with an ATV friendly town with connectors to other trailheads.

Any help guys?

Thanks,

wickestangwv
12-08-2013, 07:13 AM
www.atvresort.com

We have stayed here once and are going again DEC 13th. They have cabins and RV spots.

OldGuyonaQuad
12-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Ashland resort is great. You are at Indian Ridge with access to Pinnacle Creek and Pocahontas. you need to book early as there are very few lodging options in this area. Another place close by is wild willies http://wildwillysatvrezort.com/. Rockhouse has lots of lodging options. If you go to this website: https://www.trailsheaven.com/ select the trail system you prefer then click on lodging options. You can also try googling the nearby towns. Our group is heading back to ashland this spring. We loved the connectors from Indian Ridge to Pocahontas.

02yellow400ex
12-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Ive been to the rockhouse trail system 3 times and have stayed with 2 different people who rent trailers/cabins and have not had any problems with either.

The people we stayed with twice is browning Fork Trailhouse and they are really nice and have a good location in regards to the trails and to Gilbert WV. Their website is http://browningforktrail.tripod.com

The other place was a guy that the Browning Fork owner suggested to us after his place was booked up for trailfest the year we were going.

Other than those I found that the Hatfield McCoy website has alot of information on places to stay but probably dosent have everything available.

blacknblue#2
12-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Been going for going on 12 years. I cant get away from gilbert. Every time i stay elsewhere i always end up back in gilbert. My suggestion is Fox Lodge foxatvlodge.com Mike is the guys name. He will treat you right, No fine print bullchit and he will make sure your happy with your stay. If you book with Mike tell him Bill Young from ohio sent ya. Youll instantly become one of his "ol friends" lol

OldGuyonaQuad
12-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Rock house is the single largest of all the trail systems and now has a connector to Ivy Branch (which is more 4 wheel friendly) and has by far the most lodging options. BTW all of the towns with connectors to H/McC are ATV friendly and from my limited experience locals say ATV's are considered a way of transportation. We took the mountain roads back from Pocahontas the last day and didn't get bothered and these roads were actually more suited for ATV's then cars. I just found the 10 mile connector from Gilbert to be a real grind, after a while it's very repetitious and the trails become scenic but narrow. I found the connector from Indian Ridge to Pocahontas more to my liking as there was a nice stretch that we could ride on 4th and 5th gear plus some incredible views. You can't go wrong with either but what ever you choose book early as these places fill up like a geriatric diaper ;)

zyoung04
12-14-2013, 02:35 AM
Been going for going on 12 years. I cant get away from gilbert. Every time i stay elsewhere i always end up back in gilbert. My suggestion is Fox Lodge foxatvlodge.com Mike is the guys name. He will treat you right, No fine print bullchit and he will make sure your happy with your stay. If you book with Mike tell him Bill Young from ohio sent ya. Youll instantly become one of his "ol friends" lol

And make sure u ask him which one is the reeever and which one is the creek if u stay here.

blacknblue#2
12-14-2013, 03:18 AM
Rock house is the single largest of all the trail systems and now has a connector to Ivy Branch (which is more 4 wheel friendly) and has by far the most lodging options. BTW all of the towns with connectors to H/McC are ATV friendly and from my limited experience locals say ATV's are considered a way of transportation. We took the mountain roads back from Pocahontas the last day and didn't get bothered and these roads were actually more suited for ATV's then cars. I just found the 10 mile connector from Gilbert to be a real grind, after a while it's very repetitious and the trails become scenic but narrow. I found the connector from Indian Ridge to Pocahontas more to my liking as there was a nice stretch that we could ride on 4th and 5th gear plus some incredible views. You can't go wrong with either but what ever you choose book early as these places fill up like a geriatric diaper ;)

Just so there is no cofusion there is no connector from Rockhouse to Ivy branch. Ivy is a good 50 miles north of Rockhouse via the highway Ivy connects to little coal river. At the moment no other trail connects to rockhouse legally. There is a connector trail between rockhouse and Buffalo Mountain. Last time i was down there (september) they were waiting on land rights from only 1 land owner to make this connector between RH and BM legal. From what i was told the landowner has agreed to the right of way but he is not a local and they need his signature to make it legal.

OldGuyonaQuad
12-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Sorry about the bad info, I thought for some reason Ivy was closer, you can also ride from Rock house to Bear Wallow via the roads.