PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem

boostedchicken
12-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Alright so a month and a half ago or so, my hydraulic clutch slave busted off of the line. I finally got around to fixing it (ordered a clutch cable and a new lever). Adjusted everything to the right slack and took it outside to test er out. It doesn't have that "clutch" feel. Its just solid and HARD all the way back. Needless to say, the clutch isn't engaging or disengaging. Everything from the clutch down to the clutch lifter arm is adjusted correctly.

Which leads me to believe that my hydraulic clutch busted because of an internal problem... Which is super lame. since my garage isn't heated.

What should I be expecting when I pull the cover off? Broken shat?

Also, to make it clear, this is a brand new cable and lever. I know several people will think "Replace your cable".

400man
12-03-2013, 08:10 PM
yea, id say something is deffinatly not right. something is binding inside the clutch springs keeping them from compressing, maybe a broke spring or bolt or something? pop that cover off and check it out, post damage report!

boostedchicken
12-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Well, I went out to the garage anticipating I was going to tear the thing apart tonight. But, I didn't have any propane for my heater so I guess Ill wait till tomorrow night. I did pull the drain plugs over night. I like to avoid as much mess as possible! I am super good at making messes...

boostedchicken
12-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Sooo... Its been blasted cold lately. I decided i would get my atv in my ice shack to work on it in there. That way I can start up the wood stove and take the beast apart without freezing my nads off.
Figured you guys would get a kick outa this. Took off a wall section and cut out a stud to get it in, but this is going to be so much nicer!

Also, I forgot I had a +2 rear axle, so the back end didnt fit through the opening. I had to take the back wheel off and lift it in.

DragonGunner
12-13-2013, 12:20 PM
That will work !!!! Let us know what you find out....I wasn't sure what I could post to help, I'm a bit confused with the "hydraulic" clutch, since the 400's don't have one, so i don't know if you had a after market one or not, because a "hydraulic" doesn't have a cable....?

boostedchicken
12-13-2013, 12:46 PM
That will work !!!! Let us know what you find out....I wasn't sure what I could post to help, I'm a bit confused with the "hydraulic" clutch, since the 400's don't have one, so i don't know if you had a after market one or not, because a "hydraulic" doesn't have a cable....?

It had an aftermarket setup on it. It was a Magura hydraulic setup, which busted/blew(was a result of the clutch getting messed up I guess).
So I replaced the aftermarket setup with a good ol clutch lever and cable.

boostedchicken
12-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Alright so I got the stuff pulled apart. Looks like the clutch lifter busted off and the top get wedged in to the lever rod (I think that's the reason my hydraulic line exploded)
I don't see why the spring would break too? Maybe it was already broken. Either way, HOPEFULLY I found my whole issue. The discs look good, still lots o meat on them.

What else should I look for? I have never had an issue like this before.

boostedchicken
12-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Tonight I reinstalled everything, with the new parts. Tomorrow Ill get oil and take it for a rip around the block and see whats up. Hopefully nothing else breaks

Blodg
12-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Looks like you are on the right track to fix it.

That was an interesting thought with putting your quad in your ice shanty, I did get a kick out of it. Where are you located that it is so cold?

boostedchicken
12-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Looks like you are on the right track to fix it.

That was an interesting thought with putting your quad in your ice shanty, I did get a kick out of it. Where are you located that it is so cold?

I just realized my location wasn't filled in. Located West/Central Wisconsin. It was between -30 and 0 for about 2 weeks straight. Today it topped out at 20 degrees. A little bit chilly.