PDA

View Full Version : Gusset kit

LxMxL97
11-28-2013, 01:49 PM
I just got my frame sandblasted and I was thinking about getting a gusset kit and the only delema I have is I can't weld to save my life I know lots of people that can but how much welding is because I don't want to make one of them weld for hours

Mtndew99
11-28-2013, 05:46 PM
It won't take long to weld them in if u already have the gussets cut out

LxMxL97
11-28-2013, 06:38 PM
It won't take long to weld them in if u already have the gussets cut out

I was just planning on buying one if I do get one but are they really necessary for xc racing

CJM
11-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Probably not since your not putting insane stress on the frame jumping and landing hard. I rode the piss out of my 400 for years, never cracked anything.

LxMxL97
11-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Yeah I thought gusset kits were more for motocross applications

jfwyatt1
11-30-2013, 07:37 AM
if you have the frame blasted already i would install a gusset kit even for xc and trail riding there are benifits ive broken aftermaket frames just trailriding. stuff happens

Stickman400
12-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Bare performance welds them in if you ship them your frame and then they PC it for you, but it's stupidly expensive. I just had one of my friends dads weld mine in, wasn't the prettiest but I just went over the welds and the rest of the frame with a Dremel and a sanding drum and after the PC it looked great. I wouldn't weld them in if you aren't that experienced, wouldn't really do anything if the welds aren't good. Either ship it somewhere or find someone local to do it cheap or free.

LxMxL97
12-04-2013, 05:27 AM
Bare performance welds them in if you ship them your frame and then they PC it for you, but it's stupidly expensive. I just had one of my friends dads weld mine in, wasn't the prettiest but I just went over the welds and the rest of the frame with a Dremel and a sanding drum and after the PC it looked great. I wouldn't weld them in if you aren't that experienced, wouldn't really do anything if the welds aren't good. Either ship it somewhere or find someone local to do it cheap or free.

I have a friend that powdercoats and I can get everything done for $200 and that's basically everything on the bike that's metal and I know someone else that welds for a living and I was going to have him do it

Stickman400
12-05-2013, 12:55 AM
Sounds like the best route.