PDA

View Full Version : Tire Groover ??'s

KKiowaTJ
11-25-2013, 06:25 PM
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tire-groover

Anyone ever or currently use this type of groover? I used to have a alstine but some ***** clown stole it. I know you get what you pay for, But I don't see throwing away another $400+ for something I use a few times a year or it sits until you need it and it 'walked away'.

I know they wont cut as fast, Ill have to heat the tires up with a torch/rosebud to get the rubber warmer to cut. But I don't want to waste $$ on this if it don't cut good. I watched some youtube vid's on them, Seem to cut through good enough IMO for the money saved.

Just curious if anyone is using this brand/type and how it worked for you. Thanks for any help.

CJM
11-25-2013, 06:41 PM
One you linked it is same as summit/jegs and they work fine (read the reviews).

KKiowaTJ
11-25-2013, 07:22 PM
One you linked it is same as summit/jegs and they work fine (read the reviews).

I just used the ebay link as it was easier. Ill most likely order from summit if I buy.

I don't care too much for reviews, Reason being, The vast majority are people who buy a new set of tires, Drive home 3.8 miles, And say they are the best thing since sliced bread, Hook up and chew through 3' of mud.

I like 'real world' advice, Sorry I took a minute out of you're day to reply. I do appreciate the advice, Thank you.

400man
11-25-2013, 11:50 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?503809-tire-grooving

I bought one of these a couple months ago, heres my little review with pics

CJM
11-25-2013, 11:57 PM
I hear ya, good luck with it bud.

rooster300ex
11-26-2013, 05:51 AM
That is the same kind my Grandpa used to groove his late model tires, always worked great for him. Sometimes he would have to groove a whole tire, and it never quit on em.

2001400exrida
11-26-2013, 07:32 AM
I don't care too much for reviews, Reason being, The vast majority are people who buy a new set of tires, Drive home 3.8 miles, And say they are the best thing since sliced bread, Hook up and chew through 3' of mud.

I like 'real world' advice, Sorry I took a minute out of you're day to reply. I do appreciate the advice, Thank you.

I am totally with you on this....too many people post just to add to their huge post counts. The one you linked is a good quality groover in my experience. My friend has had one for 10 years that he's used on stock cars and TT tires. It's still going strong so I can tell you from that angle it's a good product. I purchased the same one not too long ago. I know trail tires have much bigger lugs and may require a better made groover, but at least for what I use it for on the American racer and hoosier ft/tt tires it eats right through those pretty quickly. Grooving is a tedious task regardless though.

KKiowaTJ
11-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Killer, Thanks for the replies. I have a few toys that could benefit and so does a friend. Guess all that leaves, Is how many head attachments and blades we need lol. Getting that time of year where more traction will help along with the time it takes in the garage away from the in-laws. Gotta love the small things you can drag out! Thanks again