PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions for engine builders/racers

lil_billy_300ex
11-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm currently building my 2005 450r race bike for the upcoming season. Is it a good idea to send the wiring harness somewhere to get it modified and cleaned up just for motocross or should I just leave it alone? Since the 04-05s don't have electric start is it worth the money? I'm also looking into getting my transmission polished, falicon crank, or sending my stock crank into falcon for mods, and possibly have ceramic bearings installed. Any thoughts, concerns or recommendations? Reliability is my main concern with this build. Where should I start? Thanks!

DnB_racing
11-24-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm currently building my 2005 450r race bike for the upcoming season. Is it a good idea to send the wiring harness somewhere to get it modified and cleaned up just for motocross or should I just leave it alone? Since the 04-05s don't have electric start is it worth the money? I'm also looking into getting my transmission polished, falicon crank, or sending my stock crank into falcon for mods, and possibly have ceramic bearings installed. Any thoughts, concerns or recommendations? Reliability is my main concern with this build. Where should I start? Thanks!

you can very easily modify your harness check the sticky for wiring schematics in color, i can talk you through it if you want to give it a try
very easy!!

Honda5
11-24-2013, 08:05 PM
as a builder and racer for many years I would suggest you spend most of your money on shocks, arms a stabilizer (unless your drag racing) leave the fan. speed is no good when you cant stay on.

CJM
11-24-2013, 08:57 PM
The 04-05 have a super simple harness I wouldnt mess with really.

Only thing I would do is ground out the fan temp sensor wire, its located right on the head. Unplug it and either splice into it or get a female end for it and then ground that wire to a bolt on the frame so the fan is always on.

2001400exrida
11-25-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm in the process or race cutting my stock harness. No lights, a simple kill switch, and no ignition. When you remove all of that stuff, there's really no reason to keep the wires that go along with it. The STicky pretty much outlines exactly what needs to be done. Thanks for taking to the time write that up DnB.

I am also removing my fan. Depending on what type of riding you do, you can remove it or you can do what CJM said and wire it to always be on, keep in mind this pulls on the stator. You can also just run a manual switch so you are able to turn your fan on whenever you please. My personal experience with these honda's is that the fans rarely kick on unless it's a hot day and you're not moving very fast.

Kovatch
11-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Unless you expect to be at the top of Pro-Am or Pro class, it is not worth it to buy a Falicon crank or ceramic bearings. They are way too expensive even the enthused racer. OEM bearings, crank, etc are actually pretty good parts. Keep up on fresh oil and you will be just fine. You won't see the benefits of the ceramic bearings: cost to benefits isn't worth it given how freakin expensive they are. Put more money into getting a Vortex or Tokyomods ignition or as stated by Honda5, spend your money on suspension. Look into JB superlink rear and/or the TRX/LTR front end.

55-58hp is fast, but does is handle/can you hang on to it?

lil_billy_300ex
11-27-2013, 12:00 PM
hey guys thanks for the advice. I do agree with running the best suspension. I'm starting this build with a stock frame gusseted and powder coated by walsh, and I plan on running their sub frame, savior rear end, LT arms and fox shocks all the way around. I believe Walsh have some great products. I'm just looking for reliability when it comes to cranks and transmissions, I don't like diving into my engines more than I have to.

dyno
11-28-2013, 09:26 AM
05 tranny is great stock! Use only Honda bearings with the updated crank, 05 HRC cam, 14 to 1 3 ring CP and your good to go!