PDA

View Full Version : safest way on hills?

rickhise
11-20-2013, 05:53 PM
I have steep grade's to go up, too steep for me to take a second rider up. Yet never felt the front end off the ground.
is low range recommended on steep grades, I have a Polaris 4/4 350 year 2000.

would a slow approach be recommended on the steeper grades.

is there such thing as a style of tire better suited for steep and deep fall leaves some down timber to cross ?

maybe out there but ill ask, is there any device one can walk the grade with an get a reading to let you know if the grade exceeds a safe climb?

I know steep is relative to the beholder, any advice thanks

HondaRacing83
11-20-2013, 06:35 PM
You need a sport quad to just blow over everything and blow up anyhill :))

rickhise
11-20-2013, 07:31 PM
a horse or a mule would work too I guess.

DragonGunner
11-21-2013, 09:26 AM
If you have a 4x4 they are great for hill climbing, often you can go up slower and still maintain. Experience with your machine is the only way to learn.
I don't have a 4X4 so I use speed. However too steep and too slow can cause problems with even a 4X4......thats where throttle control is a must....seen lots of guys slow down, doesn't look like they are going to make it, then throttle up, pop a wheelie and over and down they go. If you don't make it do not get on the back brakes if you start to roll back down.....stay on the fronts and use them. I don't like quads that when you let off the throttle it goes into neutral either, they roll back to easy, rather have a clutch, if it dies it stays locked up and you can use the clutch and front brake to roll it back down.....throttle control is key...start small and build up, practice backing down small hills......and don't forget if all else fails.....BAIL and get away from your quad.....a rolling quad can end your day fast.

Scro
11-21-2013, 11:54 AM
If you have a 4x4 they are great for hill climbing, often you can go up slower and still maintain. Experience with your machine is the only way to learn.
I don't have a 4X4 so I use speed. However too steep and too slow can cause problems with even a 4X4......thats where throttle control is a must....seen lots of guys slow down, doesn't look like they are going to make it, then throttle up, pop a wheelie and over and down they go. If you don't make it do not get on the back brakes if you start to roll back down.....stay on the fronts and use them. I don't like quads that when you let off the throttle it goes into neutral either, they roll back to easy, rather have a clutch, if it dies it stays locked up and you can use the clutch and front brake to roll it back down.....throttle control is key...start small and build up, practice backing down small hills......and don't forget if all else fails.....BAIL and get away from your quad.....a rolling quad can end your day fast.
Worst thing you can do is stay on the quad if it starts rolling back. Jump off to right, that way you can hold the front and rear brake. A quad will sit on a steep hill alone, but with you on it, she's going to the bottom.

rickhise
11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
thanks guys after 2 horrible mishaps an replaying what I did wrong over an over in my mind, formost not getting my weight forward fast enough and too much throttle at the wrong time. I have about 4 ways on old trails to reach the top, and I think Ill find the most experienced rider I can to give me a heads up on which one offers the least problem. none have that horrible one spot just long an steep..... is there a meter that gives you the danger angle for lack of better terms....

DragonGunner
11-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Worst thing you can do is stay on the quad if it starts rolling back. Jump off to right, that way you can hold the front and rear brake. A quad will sit on a steep hill alone, but with you on it, she's going to the bottom.

!00% agree. You can ride it down, depends on how steep and what your skills are too...but for sure if and when it starts to get away from you, or your not confident get off !!!!

I'm here almost every yr. Ironman......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2kYFsk-6uc