PDA

View Full Version : need some help!

gncc571
11-20-2013, 02:11 PM
I just put a kick starter in a 06 electric start for a buddy and now the quad won't start. Just wondering if there was something I might have missed. He got the kit from Baldwin and it look pretty strait forward as far as the install. The only time it tries to start is if I hold the throttle wide open and kick it. Won't start with kicking or the electric. I tipped it up on the right side when I done the install so I didn't have to drain the oil, not sure if something might have happened when I done that. Thanks for any help

blacknblue#2
11-21-2013, 10:05 AM
I just put a kick starter in a 06 electric start for a buddy and now the quad won't start. Just wondering if there was something I might have missed. He got the kit from Baldwin and it look pretty strait forward as far as the install. The only time it tries to start is if I hold the throttle wide open and kick it. Won't start with kicking or the electric. I tipped it up on the right side when I done the install so I didn't have to drain the oil, not sure if something might have happened when I done that. Thanks for any help

The quad started fine before im assuming? There aint too much you could have done if all you had off was the right side cover. Ive turned several of these up on their side then replacing clutches, one way bearings etc etc.. Possibly you flooded the air filter with oil somehow when you done this? Or possibly pumped the top of the piston full of oil depending on how long it set on its side. I would pull both the plug and the air filter and inspect from there. I have had to reset the decompressor clearance when going to a kicker but being that you left the electric and it still wont start either way I dont think thats your problem.

blacknblue#2
11-21-2013, 10:09 AM
BTW small world Minford aint too far from me. Im in Winchester.

gncc571
11-21-2013, 01:51 PM
I never started it before I started working on it but he said it ran fine a few days before he brought it to me. I did find out today that gas got in to the engine oil(not the clutch side) some how. I changed it and it has tried to start more then it had before. I was wonder about the decompresser clearance, how do I just that? It's been to many years since I've worked on one of these.

gncc571
11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Forgot to add I did put a new plug in it and the air filter looked ok a little dirty but nothing that should keep it from starting.

DnB_racing
11-21-2013, 07:05 PM
I never started it before I started working on it but he said it ran fine a few days before he brought it to me. I did find out today that gas got in to the engine oil(not the clutch side) some how. I changed it and it has tried to start more then it had before. I was wonder about the decompresser clearance, how do I just that? It's been to many years since I've worked on one of these.when i do the conversion I usually up the starting compression..

I don't concern myself measuring with the decompression clearance
i use a compression gage, and try to set the starting compression around 68 to 70 psi and found quicker starts then the stock clearance compression which is usually no more then 55 to 58 psi

gncc571
11-21-2013, 07:46 PM
when i do the conversion I usually up the starting compression..

I don't concern myself measuring with the decompression clearance
i use a compression gage, and try to set the starting compression around 68 to 70 psi and found quicker starts then the stock clearance compression which is usually no more then 55 to 58 psi

Would all the cranking trying to start it let the gas in the oil? How/where do I adjust the compression?

blacknblue#2
11-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Would all the cranking trying to start it let the gas in the oil? How/where do I adjust the compression?

You adjust the starting compression with your decompressor setting. Going off memory I think the formula for stock setting on the decompressor is Exhaust valve clearence +.006 Meaning with a perfect set exhaust valve your decompressor setting would be .017. Your supposed to use a feeler to determine your exh valve clearence, leave the feeler in there and set your decompressor clearence with a .006 feeler while the feeler guage is still between the rocker arm and exhaust valve. Thats where the formula Exh clearence +.006 comes from. Some guys will avoid even checking their exhaust clearence and just set the decompressor at .017 So its one of those things where everyone has their own way. Increasing the gap of the decompressor will increase the starting compression. The decompressor is easy to adjust it has the set screw style adjustor like the old 400EX valves. If you pull the valve cover off you will see it above the right exhaust valve rocker arm. Keep in mind the engine has to be at TDC to adjust this correctly.......If anyone sees that i have some clearences wrong please correct me. Im going off memory due to Ive mainly dealt only with CRF engines the last couple years. The CRF formula is different. its Exhaust valve clearence +.014 equalling .025

DnB_racing
11-22-2013, 08:06 PM
those numbers sound correct..

once you've done the kick conversion however the exhaust valve clearance stays the same at .006 then i use a comprerssion tester to set the starting compression, ive found around 68-70 starts good with the kick start as your primary starting system but still not so high that the e-start cant crank it over

gncc571
12-04-2013, 02:19 PM
ok finally got it started and when it did it wouldn't idle so I was working on trying to figure that out and now the starter motor sounds like its staying engaged when you try and kick it. It will turn over fine with the electric start but sounds like hell with the kick. I turn it back down and check everything on the clutch side and everything seemed ok. Is there something in the starter I can check?

gncc571
03-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Got another question on this quad. Would adjusting the decompression affect the lev limiter? I did away with the electric start(everything still there just took the gear out) so it's just the kick start now. It starts great and runs great on bottom and mid range but its acts like it's hit the rev limiter on top end. I've dropped the clip on the needle to see if that would help but it had no effect. Any ideas? Thanks

gncc571
03-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Anybody?