PDA

View Full Version : Random 400 ex story and question

derekhonda
11-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Hello old friends!

Well, I brought her back to life! My 2001 400ex that hasn't turned a mile in roughly 4 years lives again. Drained gas, did a real crude carb cleanup, cleaned air filter, charged battery, changed oil and filter, new plug, Fresh gas with sea foam, and she starts right up! Unbelievable. Not only started, but ran great! Man do I love Hondas.

So onto my question, and I searched and searched but have not seen anyone else have this problem. I put right at 2 quarts of oil in her just as I always have. I started it up and let it idle for a few minutes. Shut it down to check oil...and the resevoir was totally full...like pouring out. So I shut it down, and a few minutes later it was about where it should be on the stick. Started it back up, ran a few minutes, shut her down....again...almost overflowing out of the resevoir. Did this a third time....what is causing this? Did I put the oil filter on wrong? Can the oil lines get clogged or anything of that nature? Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

blacknblue#2
11-20-2013, 06:37 AM
When you done the oil change did you drain both the motor and the tank or just the tank. Is it possible since it sat so long that oil from the tank bled into the crankcase? Meaning if you just drained the tank, and filled the tank then once the oil from the motor was pumped into the tank along with the new oil then it was over full?

derekhonda
11-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Nope, all oil was drained before 2 quarts of new oil was put in. What it is acting like, is there are 2 oil lines that run from the resevoir to the engine. I am guessing...one is supply and one is return. It is acting like the supply line to the engine is clogged. Like, when the engine is on it pushes all the oil out of the engine to the resevoir (through the return line)...meanwhile the supply line cannot supply any oil the engine, and hence the resevoir just fills up. Then when I shut it off it seeps back into the engine probably through the return line. This is why I have not ridden the fourwheeler very long at any one stretch, but has anyone heard of any problems like this?

Derek

DragonGunner
11-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Nothing is wrong....you have to wait a few minutes before checking...this gives it time for the oil in the tank to settle with case oil.....after a few minutes after warm up if it was in the lines on the dipstick your good to go.

Don't forget there is a 400EX thread here too....and welcome back to the EX!!!!!!!

derekhonda
11-21-2013, 05:35 AM
Nothing is wrong....you have to wait a few minutes before checking...this gives it time for the oil in the tank to settle with case oil.....after a few minutes after warm up if it was in the lines on the dipstick your good to go.

Don't forget there is a 400EX thread here too....and welcome back to the EX!!!!!!!

Thanks for the answer. I bought this quad in 2002 and in all of my days riding it, I never recall the oil filling up in the reservoir at any point in time and then draining back out, just doesn't seem right. Either way, I mean the engine sounds fine just wanted to make sure I wasn't runnin the engine without oil