PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions On Powdercoating!

cheater13
11-19-2013, 10:35 AM
This winter me and another guy are tearing down my 400ex completely so I can do a few things. *Might do a teardown thread*

I'm getting the frame, sub frame, swingarm, and maybe a arms (might go alba though) powdercoated. Probably some smaller stuff too. I'm also shipping my engine out and getting it more built for drag racing. It'll still look like a "sleeper" though. ;)

And for the powdercoating part.. I need some help on some colors..

I was thinking a gun-metal gray/charcoal color for the frame with metal flakes. I know I want to do some pieces red to match my quad too. But what do you guys think about the other parts? (swingarm/a arms/etc)

If anyone has any pictures of a nice powdercoating job on a yellow 400ex I can get ideas from, post the picture if you have it.

But give me YOUR suggestions. This ole 400ex forum might be dieing but I know some of you guys still lurk around here.

Here's my 400 right now for you guys that don't know what it looks like:
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/deeac8bb-d3e9-4e08-8d2f-4e1635134e62.jpg (http://s396.photobucket.com/user/cheater13_photos/media/deeac8bb-d3e9-4e08-8d2f-4e1635134e62.jpg.html)

chronicsmoke
11-19-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm not a fan of the MM graphics kit, lol..

This if my favorite yellow EX build;
http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?498172-good-old-400ex-getting-restored!/page10

or something like my 2011 rebuild..
http://imageshack.us/a/img11/8447/450rrollingchassis.jpg

cheater13
11-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Wow I love that other build man! I might do something similar since it looks so good.

I like your build too! I like how you switched the frame and subframe colors. Do you have pictures of it all back together? Looks sick!

chronicsmoke
11-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Wow I love that other build man! I might do something similar since it looks so good.

I like your build too! I like how you switched the frame and subframe colors. Do you have pictures of it all back together? Looks sick!

Thanks man! I've rebuilt it a few times.. heres the most recent..:cool:

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/7079/iqqh.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img7/2705/2pjn.jpg

cheater13
11-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Holy sh*t man, that thing is unbelievable! Mind if I copy some stuff? :p I want to do alittle red though mixed in with mine.

But since you hate on my graphics, I hate yours. Just kidding. Them graphics look pretty sick too. I never saw them before, but I just got mine off ebay.

Where'd you get your shrouds at? Or are they just the aluminum ones powdercoated? You need a custom seat cover now! ;)

DragonGunner
11-19-2013, 05:09 PM
With yellow plastic I think red always looked good. You have enough red in your graphics also to make red look killer....Do a-arms and swing arm in red too if you can.

chronicsmoke
11-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Hey thanks cheater! :muscle:

Copy anything you want to, I don't mind at all. (PC is Mirror Black & Canary Yellow)

Graphics are by spastic.. It's a 450 so the plastic shrouds are built in but I bet you Spastic could sticker your aluminum shrouds which would look awesome and I've never seen it done before.

Gunner thats one of my favorite 1st gens!

cheater13
11-20-2013, 06:54 AM
No problem man! And thanks, I'll probably be doing somethin real similar! I'll probably do my engine cases in textured black and the plugs/oil cover in yellow too.

I do like that red build but id rather have a yellow and black build. They look sick! :D

So after this and the engine build, I'll have another 2 grand in this thing. That adds up to around 4.5 grand now. :p

I'll be pushing close to 50hp but it'll still look stock. ;) If I put all this money in a 450, I would have one fast as sh*t 450!

chronicsmoke
11-20-2013, 01:49 PM
You need a custom seat cover now! ;)

Funy story about that.. I did have a QuadTech seat for it but wanted the Hump style seat. So I sold my seat (boxed it up and got it ready to ship) and it was accidentally mistaken for garbage and thrown out!! I had to give the guy a refund and havent got around to buying the hump seat yet.. :rolleyes:

Who ported your head btw? I was thinking of having my 400 ported

2001400exrida
11-20-2013, 02:03 PM
50hp on that 400ex? you got a turbo on there that you're not telling us about, lol.

Zakradu398
11-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Funy story about that.. I did have a QuadTech seat for it but wanted the Hump style seat. So I sold my seat (boxed it up and got it ready to ship) and it was accidentally mistaken for garbage and thrown out!! I had to give the guy a refund and havent got around to buying the hump seat yet.. :rolleyes:

Got a drag ported head for ya to buy ;)

400exshop
11-20-2013, 05:00 PM
He will love the new motor work, hope he can learn to put that new power to work!!!!!!!!!! lol

cheater13
11-20-2013, 07:14 PM

Haha oh wow, that's a first! I wouldn't be too happy if that happened to me, lol. I'm getting one for 55 bucks off ebay here sometime. But Elite Performance Racing back a long time ago. He don't work on anything anymore though.

50hp on that 400ex? you got a turbo on there that you're not telling us about, lol.
Psh, no. ;) I won't be quite at 50, but it'll be close. And it'll still look like the picture i put on here too, besides the new powdercoating. :D

Got a drag ported head for ya to buy ;)
Nahhh, I'm getting more of that done here next month! You better have that shorty pipe ready to come to me though! :)

He will love the new motor work, hope he can learn to put that new power to work!!!!!!!!!! lol
Oh don't worry, whatever power that I get, I'll be using it! :D Just need to get my gears and jetting down perfect and it'll be a stock looking monster!

400exshop
11-21-2013, 06:04 PM
chronicsmoke, i will be doing his head port work this time around when he gets it ready to ship be shiped.

cheater13
11-22-2013, 06:48 AM
chronicsmoke, i will be doing his head port work this time around when he gets it ready to ship be shiped.

And cylinder work. ;)