PDA

View Full Version : Taking Engine Apart

GrounD PoundeR
03-20-2003, 10:26 AM
When removing the top is there any other bolts that needs to be removed beside the 8mm around the edges. I dont want to beat on it with a rubber mallet to break seal when I may have forgot something. I wish I had that darn Honda Manual...

gojk
03-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Is this the valve cover? There are the 8mm around the top and a 12mm in the middle. Then pull the cam tensioner off, then the cam sprocket and cam. Then there are 4 14mm caps to remove the head, then 4 14mm bolts to remove the jug with 2 8mm on the outside right side of the jug.

Then remove the 8mm bolts from the side casings and around the case and pull the clutch and bottom cam sprocket then pull the right side of the case from the left not left from right.

GrounD PoundeR
03-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Yes this is the valve cover with 12 8mm around the edges. I was sure if the was something that need to be removed. So I need to remove the bolt in the center before taking the valve cover off cool thanks.

Stay tuned for the next question.

GrounD PoundeR
03-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Well here I go with the next question? how am I suppose to get the cam out. Its in there tight. I took the valve cover off, but I'm not sure where you are talking about for the cam tensioner. I think I know where its at but not sure. It faces where the carbs at with to bolts and a phillips in the center. Is that it? I do appreciate your help. First timers got to love them.:confused:

gojk
03-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Yes, just loosen the 2 8mm bolts and the whole assembly will come out.

GrounD PoundeR
03-20-2003, 12:13 PM
Let me say it again thanks for the help. Its seems no one knows my cam question. I've heard before you should mark it so you dont get your timing off. How do you mark it? On the sprocket or where. Next is the chain is still pretty tight on the sprocket and I dont want to jack anything up so is there a certain way to remove the cam with the sprocket? I saw a allen wrench type nut on the sprocket and I'm wondering if I need to loosen that to get it all out.

Mxbubs
03-20-2003, 02:54 PM
Setting time on the 400ex:

Take the two plugs off on the side of the motor. Take a 17mm socket and turn the flywheel while looking into the little hole you will see a T with 2 lines by it. Line the T up with the notch in the little plug. Place the cam it ALL LOBES DOWN, bolt the cam sprocket on, slide the chain over.

There should be 3 marks on the cam sprocket, 2 of them need to be parrallel with the top of the head, the other stands up.

Remember, Top Dead Center, ALL LOBES DOWN....its very EASY.

GrounD PoundeR
03-20-2003, 03:02 PM
Cool. I think... so I guess I dont need to mark anything then. Wow I appreciate the help. Still cant believe the Honda shops dont stock manuals, but at least I'll have one in the future. :D

Mxbubs
03-20-2003, 03:33 PM
400ex Honda Shop manuals on CD on ebay right now for 7$. Cant beat that.

GrounD PoundeR
03-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Mine is in the mail but dose me no good right now.:confused: So worse case I jack the engine up and replace it with a cr500 engine.

03-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Now dont be screwing it and thinking about a cr motor cause you are not fooling anyone :)

I dont think anyone minds helping you but you would be way better off with the manual. I think there is less chance of goofing up etc.

If it helps you at all to see the parts described just log onto one of the online parts finders like at service honda and they should show a pic and description as well as a price in case you break one and need it

have fun

GrounD PoundeR
03-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Well thanks. The manual is on its way but I'm trying to get this apart and off to the shop so I can putting in back together next week.

I haven't broke anything yet. Knock on wood. I am though having a problem getting the jug off. I removed the 4 12mm bolts from around the piston and the 2 8mm on the right side. I banged it a couple times as not to break anything but its not breaking the seal.

Any Ideas?

ChadEXer
03-21-2003, 03:57 AM
Holy piss your gonna tear it up:D Then how you gonna run with the 505;)

GrounD PoundeR
03-21-2003, 06:06 AM
I put a cr500 in it the question will be how will you 505 keep up. :eek2: But dont worry I dont plan on trashing the engine I have.;) My wife would like that very much, but she was part of the reason I didnt leave someone else do it.

03-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Any Ideas?

Thats a tough one cause the only time it gave me any trouble was the time I forgot the two bolts on the side of the jug.

Guess you could try a wooden hammer handle etc and the hit that with the rubber mallet but it usually just pulls off pretty easy.

GrounD PoundeR
03-21-2003, 10:16 AM
Yep I got those 2 8mm on the side but its stuck pretty good. My props to honda factory gasket. All the bolts are out and I've banged on it several times in different spots but know such luck. I'm begining to think its like a Hinz Ketchup where you need to hit it in the right spot to make the crap come out.

GrounD PoundeR
03-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Yeah I finally got the jug off.:D
Honda used a gasket + some liquid gasket. I finally hit it harder then what I was. Thought I was going to break it hitting it that hard. All is good.

Any good ways on removing stuck on gaskets???

ChadEXer
03-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Man its about time;) Wheres that 425 kit?? Man I hate that!

GrounD PoundeR
03-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Its on its way, but the eagle has not landed yet. Tom didn't like the idea that I made him get the tracking number. He was like it could still be delivered today you dont know. I told him I called FEDEX and they said it wont be to Monday. He was trying to play that fedex dont know what they are talking about.:huh I'm going to try to get it tommarrow if at all possible. By the way pick up your phone.