PDA

View Full Version : Hot rods 500 stroker, any good?

rollie
11-19-2013, 07:08 AM
Blew my crank this past weekend, it also took out my piston, and cylinder, was going to rebuild back to stock but for a little less money i can get a hot rods +3 crank, hot rods crank bearings,vertex piston, cylinder works cylinder, and a K&S gasket kit, are these all quality parts or am i better with OEM parts? I would like to make it a 500 stroker because it'll give me more power and still allow me to run low compression.

chronicsmoke
11-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Apparently due to the already short stroke of the 06+ engines most builders suggest just a bigbore. I've been told 04/05 like the stroker more than later generation.

You'd probably be better of with a stock crank and bigbore top end because of the year, but there are people running big bore/stroker and setups on the newer generation so it can't be all bad.

I'm running a 471 HR+3 stroker w/12:1 CP on my 05, "guestimeated" by my builder ~mid 50's and It's fun to bang around on.

rollie
11-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Thank you! That makes sence! I think i will go with an oem bottom end

CJM
11-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Buddy did the bigbore and stroker kit on his 06. 1 seasons so far no issues. But he did use the crappy 10.5:1 piston. Another buddy did the same build and did 13:1 and he blew the trans from all the power apparently.

blacknblue#2
11-20-2013, 07:25 AM
The 06+ produces its power just like the CRF. Shorter stroke bigger bore. There are guys running BB strokers on CRF's and getting multiple seasons out of them. Hot rods Cranks are top notch quality IMO. I would do the BB stroker. Only change i would make would be replace the vertex piston with a CP. CP offers a piston for this kit, i recently just put a CP in a Bb for a customer and the piston was top notch design compared to the vertex....with a little compression added.

fastredrider44
11-20-2013, 07:49 AM
If you do decide to run a HR crank, spend the extra money to use Honda bearings.

blacknblue#2
11-20-2013, 08:00 AM
If you do decide to run a HR crank, spend the extra money to use Honda bearings.

I will 2nd that!!!