PDA

View Full Version : kfx 400 build for the 2014 season. Enjoy the pics.

roth450
11-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Here we go with a kfx400 build for the 2014 season for my son. I am posting this build because this is the sort of thing I like to see on the forums. I would like to see more of this. I hope you enjoy this. I did not come up with the specs/parts for this machine. I would like to give special thanks to Jerry Havert of Erik Havert Racing, and the guys from JB racing and Impact Solutions for spending hours on the phone guiding me through this. As you will see from the dates on this pictures this build took us a year to do. We had planned on running it in 2013. The reason it took so long was we had to save up the money as we went along for the parts. I am going to start by listing the parts we used just because it is a long list. And I know you techy's like that sort of thing. So here is the parts list:

Bare Performance gusset kit
Sand blasted and powder coated frame black
JB A-arms w/adjustable uppers
JB swing arm with Honda carrier
JB +1 steering stem
Tie rod ends - Yamaha yfz450r
Rad dual row axle bearing carrier - Honda
Honda rear brake caliper
Dura blue anti-fade hub - Honda
Brake rotor - Honda
Nacs brake caliper mount
Durablue X-33 elimator axle - Honda
Honda lug nuts
Sunstar rear sprocket
RK gold x-ring chain
Primary Drive front sprocket
EBC brake pads - Honda
Durablue billet hubs
American Star braided extended front Speedline'z brake lines
American Star braided extended rear Speedline'z brake line
Precision anti-vibe bar clamps
Pro Taper bars
Pro Taper diamond grips
CCP steering stabalizer
Proarmor kill switch
Cyrca Stealth mx handguards
Elka stage 4 shocks longtravel front and rear - (Came off of one of Doug Gusts 450 race machines)
Had the rear shock rebuilt to fit the 400
PEP rear shock link
Curtis Sparks full X-6 stainless ceramic coated exhaust
Dynojet jet kit
Procom HI rev cdi box
Uni-filter
Aluminum radiator
Tusk aluminum gas cap
Pro armor Rage Peg nerf bars
Pro armor Bully Up front bumber
DWT champion in a box front and rear beadlock rims
20" Maxxis Razr Cross fronts
18" Maxxis Razr Cross rears
Meijer front nose hood
FTR full graphics kit
Longacre digital caster/camber gauge [tool for dad :) among many other specialty tools the we "had to have"]

Like I said, it was a long list. I will start posting pics. I don't think I can do this all in one night, so check back. I have pics from start to finish. I hope you enjoy this. My son and I had a lot of fun and made great memories doing this build together. And that is what this sport is all about.

I will post a few more pics after these, then I will call it quits for tonight. I will add more pics later so check back.
Here is the original machine:

roth450
11-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Here we go with the tear down. Oddly enough this websit puts the pictures backwords from right to left. Please notice that the floor in my garage is reletively clean right now. :) That will change!

roth450
11-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Still tearing down. This is the last of the tear down pics. I have over a hundred but I wasn't thinking about doing a forum when I took them. So they are all closeups so I could remember how it went back together. :) So this is all of the pics from a wider angle.

roth450
11-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Found 1 more teardown pic

roth450
11-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Now we will start putting it back together. By the way, I have not figured out how to move the pics around so they are in order. Sorry. Hopefully you can figure out the order.

roth450
11-14-2013, 06:59 PM
It was exciting to see the parts going on. This was when we realized the pile of OEM "junk" parts on the floor were not going back on. At least most of them weren't.

roth450
11-14-2013, 07:03 PM
It's getting late so I'll post these and be done for tonight. I'll try to post more progress tomorrow. Hope you've liked it so far.

roth450
11-16-2013, 05:51 AM
I have a few minutes so I'l do an update

roth450
11-16-2013, 05:56 AM
At this point we have new tires, we've installed the motor, put in the aluminum radiator and worked on the handle bar area.
And our working area is a mess.

roth450
11-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Here the machine is actually starting to look like a quad again. Making progress.

roth450
11-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Here we have the dual brake lines, precision clamps, and misc stuff

roth450
11-16-2013, 06:09 AM
Now we are starting to get the plastic back on

roth450
11-16-2013, 06:13 AM
Now we have the plastics on, but the handle bar area in not done yet.

roth450
11-16-2013, 06:15 AM
Now the rest of the quad comes together

roth450
11-16-2013, 06:24 AM
Now for the finishing touches. The graphics. And the quad is finally done! We had fun building it. I hope you enjoyed seeing it come together. I look forward to seeing your builds. Especially in the 400 section of the forums, the 400's aren't dead yet!

Kawie450r
11-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Nice job on the build it looks awesome. Always had a soft spot for kfx 400's. Wouldnt mind one sitting next to my kfx450.

chronicsmoke
11-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Nice job on the build it looks awesome. Always had a soft spot for kfx 400's.

X2 Nice build!

A buddy I race/share a garage with with has a modded Z, I used to have a stock one as well. I really like the ol' 400s!

Woods Ready
12-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Did you reuse the stock front calipers? Are you familiar with using the YFZ dual piston calipers on the front of the Z/KFX? It's a must have for racing in my book.

roth450
12-14-2013, 08:16 AM
Thank you for your reply. I did reuse the original calipers. I did not know about the yfz dual piston calipers. I will be checking into that right away. What machine/year am I looking for? I appreciate the info. If anyone has any suggestions please post them. Always trying to improve performance. We haven't done anything to the motor yet. But will need to at some point.

Woods Ready
12-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Here is a link to a post I made when I did it a few years ago http://www.suzukicentral.com/forums/16-suspension-chassis/81736-yfz-dual-piston-calipers-z400.html

As far as I know, you can use any year YFZ450 front calipers as they are all the same part number.