PDA

View Full Version : Shortening the swingarm for TT and FT purposes

2001400exrida
11-13-2013, 11:03 AM
So, anybody who's priced out shorter swingarms for these machines knows they're around $700! Even used you're looking at $300-$400.

I've found a shop that has experience cutting these stock cast aluminum swingers and other body parts. Does anybody have any personal experience with this? Many claim it's hard to weld cast aluminum, but the machinist i'm talking with says it would be a no brainer. I told him i don't hit big jumps and he said even if i did after he got done it would be just as strong as before.

Just looking for some input on what you guys think about this.

2001400exrida
11-14-2013, 02:14 PM
nobody has any experience with this? i guess i'll post the results when it comes back.

Scro
11-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Not shortening, but I've had one lengthened by 2 inches. It started cracking after a year of XC/hillclimbing. For TT/flattrack racing, you should be perfectly fine as long as it's done right.

blacknblue#2
11-15-2013, 05:59 AM
TT/flattrack you may be fine but its not something i would do for my style of riding. Cast aluminum can be welded but its a tricky/gambling job. Make sure the guy thats doing it is truly a welder and not a just machinist. Theres a big difference. Im a machinist and can weld but im not a "welder" per say. The trouble with welding cast is hitting air pockets. Same trouble i run into with machining cast. You hit a gas pocket in the casting with a welder you can blow an eraser size hole in the part that the naked eye didnt know was there, Then could find more porosity (air pockets) as you try to fix the first one you found. I would try it in flattrack. If its a loss you aint out much. I wouldnt drop it out of the air 15 feet with a 220lb guy on it haha

2001400exrida
11-15-2013, 09:42 AM
starting to wonder how knowledgable my machinist is if he says he can weld this and make it just as strong, but some are saying that's not the case.

I'll talk with him some more and see what he thinks. the good thing is that these swingarms are a dime a dozen and i've got 2 sitting in the garage. I don't have any problem if he screws one up or if he thinks one is stronger than the other i'll run the strongest one. I'll follow up with pictures once he's done.