PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone ever had these

LxMxL97
11-12-2013, 04:26 PM
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171160579113

I need new nerf bars and I was just wondering if these were any good

CJM
11-12-2013, 04:49 PM
I had the very similar tusk branded ones. Buy those instead as the adapters that bolt to the motor mounts on the albas break really easily from what I have heard. The tusk ones have welded tabs. I ran mine on my 400 for eons with zero issues.

LxMxL97
11-12-2013, 06:01 PM
I had the very similar tusk branded ones. Buy those instead as the adapters that bolt to the motor mounts on the albas break really easily from what I have heard. The tusk ones have welded tabs. I ran mine on my 400 for eons with zero issues.

do they have heel guards that's the only reason im getting new ones and the albas also come with pegs which is good because my pegs are about as smooth as glass

Mtndew99
11-12-2013, 08:55 PM
I have those exact ones I went almost a whole xc season with them before the foot peg where it is welded to the mounting tab broke completely off cuz the weld on it isn't strong

400man
11-13-2013, 12:01 AM
I have those exact ones I went almost a whole xc season with them before the foot peg where it is welded to the mounting tab broke completely off cuz the weld on it isn't strong

I have the alba's too. ive worn mine out bad, and on a ride trip bout 2 years ago I cought a big rock and it folded em around and bent my sub frame on the chain side and broke the foot peg mounts and heel guard mount tabs and some other things. my ride height was kinda low for a long time and it doesn't make it easy on any kind of nerf bars if you ride in rutted out trails where they hit stuff. since then ive "rebuilt" them and made my own foot peg mounts for em and they have been good.

LxMxL97
11-13-2013, 05:02 AM
Ok thanks for all the help I think I'm going to try them out since they are only $170 if they work great if not I'll just get the housers I was looking at

Zakradu398
11-13-2013, 05:13 AM
You ask for help and get 3/3 bad reviews and still want them... Why even ask?

ben300
11-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Ok thanks for all the help I think I'm going to try them out since they are only $170 if they work great if not I'll just get the housers I was looking at

i have the tusk ones. while they do work find, they're weak and will bend, especially if you race or are abusive on equipment.

the pegs also suck for grip in my opinion. they do not grip good what so ever. if your on a budget, buy them...if you got the money for housers, BUY THEM

2001400exrida
11-13-2013, 07:34 AM
I ran a similar set to these until i demolished one of them in an XC race. I believe they were called rock pro series, but look identical to the tusk/alba ones.

400man
11-13-2013, 07:49 AM
You ask for help and get 3/3 bad reviews and still want them... Why even ask?

they are good nerf bars when they are new, its just if you do a lot of rough riding they are gonna get bent and worn down eventually. that goes for any nerf bar I guess though? I bought em cause for the price it looked like the best deal, and I did get my money's worth out of em :bandit:

LxMxL97
11-13-2013, 09:35 AM
I race xc but although I really like houser products I can't afford them at the time

2001400exrida
11-13-2013, 09:42 AM
you'll be suprised at how these nerfs hold up, i really liked mine and it took a big tree and a hell of a hit that also took out my a arms to break these nerfs. Sure they're not rock solid, but they are light and they will hold up for trail riding, if you hit anything hard enough no nerf in the world will withstand certain hits, some can take more abuse sure, but these really aren't terrible in my opinion.

chronicsmoke
11-13-2013, 09:58 AM
there has been quite a few threads on this subject already.. I would sooner buy a used pair of pro armor/rath/IMS/ ect before ever trusting these nerf bars again.

Depends what your body is worth it to you.. Lucklily I found this before I actually lost a nerf:
1) pulled the engine mount out of the tubing
2) the green line is where my peg should be
3) not a big deal but it pushed the tab into my subframe and scratched the **** out of it
http://imageshack.us/a/img19/7137/udc2.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img29/3766/3zgs.jpg

And my buddy snapped one off his yamaha at the pegs! Almost went over the 7 foot berm after too :eek2:

2001400exrida
11-13-2013, 10:16 AM
there has been quite a few threads on this subject already.. I would sooner buy a used pair of pro armor/rath/IMS/ ect before ever trusting these nerf bars again.

Depends what your body is worth it to you.. Lucklily I found this before I actually lost a nerf:
3) not a big deal but it pushed the tab into my subframe and scratched the **** out of it

And my buddy snapped one off his yamaha at the pegs! Almost went over the 7 foot berm after too :eek2:

don't forget to tell us what you hit :muscle:

chronicsmoke
11-13-2013, 11:06 AM
bottomed out at the track and the peg flexxed enough to catch a rut and you see the result..

I reviewed them on here a couple years ago.. http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?471936-Tusk-Rock-Alba-Nerf-Bars

400man
11-13-2013, 11:29 AM

that's EXACTLY what happened to mine!! :eek:

chronicsmoke
11-13-2013, 12:05 PM
that's EXACTLY what happened to mine!! :eek:

this must be more common than I thought! :uhoh:

My incident wasn't as bad as my buddy on the 700 Raptor.. went off a small hump that leads into a sweeper at one of our FT races and the entire nerf snapped off :eek: His foot hit the ground, almost pulled him off and almost went over the top of the big-*** berm... He is never using them again either lol

LxMxL97
11-13-2013, 05:24 PM
bottomed out at the track and the peg flexxed enough to catch a rut and you see the result..

I reviewed them on here a couple years ago.. http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?471936-Tusk-Rock-Alba-Nerf-Bars

That's the thing I will never be on a track I don't even know of one within 50 miles of
Me so I'm pretty sure it will they will be fine and also I don't use them to Piviot around trees like I've seen some people do

LxMxL97
11-13-2013, 05:25 PM
And also if they do get a little crack In them I will just weld them

chronicsmoke
11-18-2013, 06:33 AM
That's the thing I will never be on a track I don't even know of one within 50 miles of
Me so I'm pretty sure it will they will be fine and also I don't use them to Piviot around trees like I've seen some people do

What happens if it catches a rock or stump, lol..

You asked and got no good reviews on them and a few people that have broken them and won't buy them again.. I dont get it.. but to each their own.
Good luck with them lol...

LxMxL97
11-18-2013, 07:20 AM
What happens if it catches a rock or stump, lol..

You asked and got no good reviews on them and a few people that have broken them and won't buy them again.. I dont get it.. but to each their own.
Good luck with them lol...

If you go read the review it says they are fine for the average trail ride or xc racer but not for mx and my a arms are lower than the nerf would sit so It would hit them first

chronicsmoke
11-18-2013, 07:32 AM
If you go read the review it says they are fine for the average trail ride or xc racer but not for mx and my a arms are lower than the nerf would sit so It would hit them first

lol that was my review.. and at the time nobody had had any issues yet. Luckily I work with a machinest/welder so the damage was cheap/easy to fix. Difference is with better ners you'll never have to fix them.

Like I said I couldn't care less but I wish you luck with them. :muscle:

2001400exrida
11-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Oh pooey, i've seen all the top nerfs break. AC, pro armour, houser.....i've seen these all crack or bend or break on several friends machines. No nerf is industructable. Sure these may be weaker than some, but if you're not plowing into trees like I did or bottoming out huge jumps like chronic, i think these nerfs are fine.

Chronic, i saw what your frame looked like from bottoming out, it's no wonder the nerfs didn't hold either, lol.

chronicsmoke
11-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Chronic, i saw what your frame looked like from bottoming out, it's no wonder the nerfs didn't hold either, lol.

You really just can't give info, you have to be right and someone else wrong eh? Sad..

They are cheaply made and the only reason you defend them is because

A) you have them

or

B) You've considered buying them.

I value my life and well being and don't want my bad expeiences to happen to others. I can't recommend someone to buy nerfs that have fallen apart on me. Sorry if you dissagree and have to point out how I'm wrong again,

Flame away :rolleyes:

2001400exrida
11-18-2013, 08:17 AM
i don't think this is right or wrong here chronic, it's not that cut and dry. Sorry you took offense, but i remember you posting the bottom of your frame and how it had flattened out from bottoming your machine out.....putting two and two together, if your frame rails were that bad i can easily see why the nerfs broke.

i had these nerfs until i nailed a tree, there's no way any nerf in the world could have withstood what i hit, the front a arms got jacked too. I'm not vouching for them, but for everyday trail use i think they are fine. They're not the strongest, but they do serve a purpose, if you're bottoming out 40ft jumps then no you don't want to use these chronic.

KKiowaTJ
11-18-2013, 11:40 AM
This thread saved me time and $$. My AC ones have went above and beyond and still fulfill their function. I saw tusk/these and was curious but im sure I know what the end result will be. I don't think ill be taking the chance of my leg getting pulled under from chitty materials and welds after it snaps when it could be bypassed for a few more $$. I know what AC can take and go through, Guess ill stick with them for the safety factor and save my machine problems.

cheater13
11-18-2013, 12:34 PM
I have the full Tusk nerf bars and they are amazing.

I went through 2 sets of netting already but I ran over a lot of briars and dead trees. They hold up great but scratch real easily. Pretty sure you can get them off rocky mountain's website.

2001400exrida
11-18-2013, 12:48 PM
I have the full Tusk nerf bars and they are amazing.

I went through 2 sets of netting already but I ran over a lot of briars and dead trees. They hold up great but scratch real easily. Pretty sure you can get them off rocky mountain's website.

well according to some....you just dont' value your life! totally kidding, as i've mentioned i think these nerfs are fine unless you're pounding trees all done, or bottoming out on 40ft jumps, and again i don't think any nerf will handle that.

there are much stronger nerfs, but for the money these are a great buy, i was happy with them for the 9 months i had them until crashed royally.

CJM
11-18-2013, 04:55 PM
The alba and tusk ones mount differently. I had tusk ones on my 400 and the nets are chinsy but the rest of the nerf is solid. The difference is the alba has a clamp that goes over the tube and fits onto the motor mount bracket, the tusk ones are welded on right to the tube.

chronicsmoke
11-18-2013, 05:32 PM
The alba and tusk ones mount differently. I had tusk ones on my 400 and the nets are chinsy but the rest of the nerf is solid. The difference is the alba has a clamp that goes over the tube and fits onto the motor mount bracket, the tusk ones are welded on right to the tube.

I agree the ones that are welded are a better design.
The guy with the raptor I mentioned earlier had that style and so did my buddy with a yfz.. I share a shop with the YFZ guy so I can snap a pic of how we fixed it when I head up there. It's been fine since, still sketchy when it let go though haha!

Seems almost everyone I know has had problems with them lol..

ben300
11-18-2013, 05:59 PM
i have the tusk ones. ill snap some pictures of how the ones i have, have bent

LxMxL97
11-19-2013, 05:24 AM
I was thinking about getting heel guards what's your opinion on those because my buddy has some and they are really nice on his bike since he doesn't have reverse, but I do!