PDA

View Full Version : The dumb ? of the day!

KKiowaTJ
11-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Either to my stupidity and quite a few others, Or it don't matter either way, The oil change bolts on a 00' 400ex.

I always drain the tank, The bolt that has a rubber seal kinda. IIRC its a 15mm 3/8's and an extension.

The oil filter is fool proof IMO. This side out, You don't know what that entails you need help. Bolts different size, Fool proof all around.

The motor, I have been told by many who own, Raced, Still have and race a 450 now though, That the oil drain on the case is the bolt under the oil lines. It cleans out all the clutch sludge and oil drains out. Im never over on oil, Takes about 2qts.

Then I watch a Usucktube vid of some bro hat wearing kids changing it with the main oil line that goes to the tank? Then the bolt behind the shifter?

I got on here and its shows the bolt behind the shifter? Other than that the same way I follow.

I have done this my way since day one, No problems until recently when my clutch started slipping and I stopped riding it. I abuse the clutch hard and it has well over 250 hours on it and two years. I bought it a couple months before I joined and had to hide it from GF, Thus most advice came from them and I had no problems.

Does it matter? I asked a few today picking up the last few things I need to change my clutch and got both answers?

Any help would be great and reasoning why one is better as well if you could? I always assumed and thought best, To drain the used clutch side oil out as it was closer too, And can get all the gear/clutch sludge.

Sorry for the long winded, Stupified rant, But just want closure for piece of mind.

DragonGunner
11-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Either to my stupidity and quite a few others, Or it don't matter either way, The oil change bolts on a 00' 400ex.

I always drain the tank, The bolt that has a rubber seal kinda. IIRC its a 15mm 3/8's and an extension.

The oil filter is fool proof IMO. This side out, You don't know what that entails you need help. Bolts different size, Fool proof all around.

The motor, I have been told by many who own, Raced, Still have and race a 450 now though, That the oil drain on the case is the bolt under the oil lines. It cleans out all the clutch sludge and oil drains out. Im never over on oil, Takes about 2qts.

Then I watch a Usucktube vid of some bro hat wearing kids changing it with the main oil line that goes to the tank? Then the bolt behind the shifter?

I got on here and its shows the bolt behind the shifter? Other than that the same way I follow.

I have done this my way since day one, No problems until recently when my clutch started slipping and I stopped riding it. I abuse the clutch hard and it has well over 250 hours on it and two years. I bought it a couple months before I joined and had to hide it from GF, Thus most advice came from them and I had no problems.

Does it matter? I asked a few today picking up the last few things I need to change my clutch and got both answers?

Any help would be great and reasoning why one is better as well if you could? I always assumed and thought best, To drain the used clutch side oil out as it was closer too, And can get all the gear/clutch sludge.

Sorry for the long winded, Stupified rant, But just want closure for piece of mind.

Drain the tank and also the drain bolt under the shifter. Once in awhile take the oil strainer screen out of the tank and clean and inspect, its located at the bottom of the tank going out and back to the engine. The small bolt on the clutch side is only a oil check bolt. If clutch cover is ever removed there is a screen that catches stuff that can be takin out and cleaned as well. Its located at the bottom of the case, take out bolt and it slides out.

2001400exrida
11-08-2013, 06:13 AM
Yup dragongunner hit the nail on the head.

drain the tank and drain the bolt under the shifter. Kind of a pain to get to that bolt sometimes, but really not a big deal. I've got used to haveing to change 2 seperate fluids on my 450 so the 400ex is a breeze now.

KKiowaTJ
11-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the replies, I got so many opinions on it and even a Honda tech said 'the book is not always right'. But at least I know the one was for sure, The other(s) are my option as I have never had a problem the way im doing it, Or the other bolt. If it is a PITA to get to, Ill go back to the old way. Its worked fine for me thus far, Thanks for the info/confirmation on what bolts are what.

2001400exrida
11-08-2013, 12:05 PM
i would definitely go with what the honda manual says, which is to drain from the bottom of the oil tank and drain from the bolt that comes out under the shifter. If you fail to pull the bolt under the shifter you will be leaving some old oil in there. while this is not really a huge concern since it will all mix up and come out the next time, it's still not a very thorough oil change.

KKiowaTJ
11-08-2013, 03:46 PM
i would definitely go with what the honda manual says, which is to drain from the bottom of the oil tank and drain from the bolt that comes out under the shifter. If you fail to pull the bolt under the shifter you will be leaving some old oil in there. while this is not really a huge concern since it will all mix up and come out the next time, it's still not a very thorough oil change.

Ill switch bolts and see where it gets me. Thanks for the reply and 'true' case side drain bolt.

powerbomb400
11-10-2013, 07:08 AM
The bolt with a 14mm head goes on the tank. The bolt with a 12mm head goes in the case under the shifter.