PDA

View Full Version : Motoworks discontinue making exhausts?

chronicsmoke
11-07-2013, 10:54 AM
I saw this on another site and figured it might be interesting for all of the Motoworks fans in here... They no longer have exhausts listed on their website either..

Too bad, they were good exhausts, especially for the price.

cheater13
11-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Dang, I just saw them on ebay about a week ago for around 210 shipped brand new.

2001400exrida
11-07-2013, 12:03 PM
^^^maybe for a slip on. the full systems are around $400-450. I personally never liked these pipes, they were cheaply made and didn't put up numbers like some of the top name pipes did.

chronicsmoke
11-07-2013, 12:25 PM
lol.. to each their own.

I liked how they kept up the support of the sport.. I wonder if they will still be involved with Can-Am..

Right now all they have listed on their site is canned-ham parts.

beastlywarrior
11-07-2013, 12:58 PM
It appears, looks like you can only get them from motosport

cheater13
11-07-2013, 02:16 PM
They looked like nice slip ons. I was stuck between the motoworks and hmf. I couldn't decide so that's why I still have my T4. :p

2001400exrida
11-07-2013, 02:52 PM
The T4 was one of my favorite slip ons for the 400's. Great pipe in my opinion! My 450r had one on it when i purchased it and believe it or not that used slip on sold for $200 on ebay.

cheater13
11-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Yeah I love this pipe and probably because they're so hard to find! I really wish I could find another one because this one is alittle damaged at the main clamp.

kt1148
11-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah I tried to get a repack kit two weeks ago. Called them & they said they didn't have any left and sold remaining parts to RMATV. Can't find a Motoworks repack kit anywhere, oh well. Have received a few comments on how good the pipe sounds too.

2001400exrida
11-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Yeah I love this pipe and probably because they're so hard to find! I really wish I could find another one because this one is alittle damaged at the main clamp.

You can still get the pipe on ebay, I have seen several of them. One is going for $350 shipped.

The reason they're hard to find is because they didn't make them for very long and not many people bought them unless they were looking for a deal. Similar to the old Venom exhaust and some of the other brands, if they weren't in production for a long time it will be a hard pipe to find once the over stock is sold out.

cheater13
11-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Dang, guess I'll just have to go to HMF then unless I find a good deal on another one of the T4s.

2001400exrida
11-08-2013, 09:00 AM
oh you were talking about the T4, i thought you meant the motoworks, yeah the T4's are rare these days.

cheater13
11-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Dang, guess I'll just have to go to HMF then unless I find a good deal on another one of the T4s.

Zakradu398
11-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Motoworks pipes looked cheap and generic anyhow... People only nuthugged because of price..

HondaRacing83
11-11-2013, 05:47 PM
I dont know who you're kidding they are nice pipes dude

KKiowaTJ
11-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Motoworks pipes looked cheap and generic anyhow... People only nuthugged because of price..

Same thing can be said about HMF.
I have a friend who had their full exhaust and except the header, Was a cheap POS and sounded worse than it looked. 3 old beer cans welded together with packing and a billet tip is what it looked and performed like. Now he has a full yosh and could tell a difference along with a tone instead of annoying. They are the RCM/Cobra pipe of the 'new age'. To each their own, I got a chance at riding it with both, Its just bandwagon hype for with gains but sound.

Zakradu398
11-12-2013, 06:11 AM
I have a friend who had their full exhaust and except the header, Was a cheap POS and sounded worse than it looked. 3 old beer cans welded together with packing and a billet tip is what it looked and performed like. Now he has a full yosh and could tell a difference along with a tone instead of annoying. They are the RCM/Cobra pipe of the 'new age'. To each their own, I got a chance at riding it with both, Its just bandwagon hype for with gains but sound.

Yup exactly, after having a yoshi and akrapovic exhausts, you see what quality is...

2001400exrida
11-12-2013, 07:30 AM

first time i've ever heard this about hmf. they make a very solid pipe in my opinion. I have one on my 450r and have repacked it once and it's holding together very well. HMF makes pipes for all makes and models and they have soo many different styles and types. Any pipe will get ragged when old but to compare HMF to cobra or RCM is not even close to accurate. Yoshimira makes real good pipe but the HMF outperforms it on the Honda's without question.

Any pipe will sound terrible if it's not got good packing in it. Also no pipe will last forever, they do require maintenance which involves repacking.

Zakradu398
11-12-2013, 07:37 AM
first time i've ever heard this about hmf. they make a very solid pipe in my opinion. I have one on my 450r and have repacked it once and it's holding together very well. HMF makes pipes for all makes and models and they have soo many different styles and types. Any pipe will get ragged when old but to compare HMF to cobra or RCM is not even close to accurate. Yoshimira makes real good pipe but the HMF outperforms it on the Honda's without question.

Any pipe will sound terrible if it's not got good packing in it. Also no pipe will last forever, they do require maintenance which involves repacking.

I've seen an HMF blow apart in under a week. They sound like garbage from the factory too IMO.

2001400exrida
11-12-2013, 07:44 AM
brand new HMF blew apart in under a week, that's a feat right there! well i've been running mine for a couple years. still holding up and i personally love the sound, but that's neither here nor there, you obviously have your mind set that hmf is junk so i'm not going to waste time convincing you that it's not. People who have experience with this pipe will chime in, it's no secret hmf makes a good exhaust.

Zakradu398
11-12-2013, 08:14 AM
brand new HMF blew apart in under a week, that's a feat right there! well i've been running mine for a couple years. still holding up and i personally love the sound, but that's neither here nor there, you obviously have your mind set that hmf is junk so i'm not going to waste time convincing you that it's not. People who have experience with this pipe will chime in, it's no secret hmf makes a good exhaust.

That is my first hand experience, no need to try and discredit me.

2001400exrida
11-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Oh i'm not discrediting, by all means post a pic of your 1 week blown hmf pipe, i'm curious to know where did it "blow apart" at? did you happen to light it on fire by accident? lol. all jokes aside, it's hard to believe a brand new hmf blows apart in 1 week. I'd love to see a pic with more details, but i think the truth lies with the people who run this pipe regularly.

here's what mine looks like after a couple years and a repack. not seeing any weak spots or flaws thus far, the thing is solid as a rock. I have a sparks pipe as well

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/rschaef83/2013-02-12_16-57-37_60_zpsa4d8fa83.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/rschaef83/media/2013-02-12_16-57-37_60_zpsa4d8fa83.jpg.html)

Zakradu398
11-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Oh i'm not discrediting, by all means post a pic of your 1 week blown hmf pipe, i'm curious to know where did it "blow apart" at? did you happen to light it on fire by accident? lol. all jokes aside, it's hard to believe a brand new hmf blows apart in 1 week. I'd love to see a pic with more details, but i think the truth lies with the people who run this pipe regularly.

here's what mine looks like after a couple years and a repack. not seeing any weak spots or flaws thus far, the thing is solid as a rock. I have a sparks pipe as well

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/rschaef83/2013-02-12_16-57-37_60_zpsa4d8fa83.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/rschaef83/media/2013-02-12_16-57-37_60_zpsa4d8fa83.jpg.html)

Why pick mine then and not ask everyone who had good luck to post pics too?

2001400exrida
11-12-2013, 09:21 AM
because yours is the first case i've heard of one turning to crap after a week. I can find guys just like me who have had good luck, but since your case was so unique I am interested in seeing what caused it to fail after 1 week and exactly how it failed. If ya can't post pictures or anything that's fine, i just wondered how it went to crap so quick when all i've ever seen with these pipes is a pretty solid setup. I'm not saying they are bullet proof, but when taking all exhausts into consideration the HMF is not junk like DG or cobra.

400man
11-12-2013, 09:53 AM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/gncc400ex007.jpg (http://s417.photobucket.com/user/ky2stroker/media/gncc400ex007.jpg.html)

I used to run a hmf slipon, now I got a old white bros r4 full exhaust. I remember the hmf being a slightly higher pitched sound than my white bros r4 is now, but its also been shortened. I like the hmf best on looks cause it doesn't look too long or at some weird angle like other pipes. and it just has a simple round plain look to it, which is what I like. never really had any issues at all with it, never leaked where it joins the header like other pipes ive seen. infact, ive got one stowed away in my parts pile for an emergency :blah:

im sure this will ad some fuel to the soon to come fire lol

Zakradu398
11-12-2013, 10:36 AM
No fire here, I've made my point.

KKiowaTJ
11-12-2013, 12:41 PM
CT racing pipes/exhaust allow the most from a pipe/filter and jets, CS racing is second. The rest fall with-in .5+/- of each other. The hmf is no better or worse in the performance department than the yosh pipes. Honda actually used yosh for along time on their builds, More on the 400's.

That's the reason, Everybody and their mom and dad has whored and pimped them out on every machine. If all else fails, Put hmf on, That's exactly what they did. To each their own, Lost of options on every part you can name and everyone has a favorite brand(s).

2001400exrida
11-12-2013, 01:19 PM
^^^it depends 100% on what machine you are referring too. for the 400ex, not many people make a full system, the best full system hands down for a 400ex according to dyno charts is the sparks full system, i've heard CT racing is pretty good too, so maybe they are a close tie for first.

In the honda 450 world, the HMF out performs the yoshis, actually yoshi is not one of the top performing pipes for the honda 450's, hmf, sparks, barker, dasa, and rossier are all above yoshi according to dyno testing. HMF on the 400's and on some of the other 450's may not be a top contender as far as performance, but fit and finish it is always a good pipe. For the 450's HMF is suprisingly one of the top performing pipes and that's not just because I own one. I had an ESR and a Sparks before the HMF, all great pipes. The HMF just feels to be a much more torque oriented exhaust this is because it has a stepped header.

Zakradu398
11-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Man, some people are just never wrong.

KKiowaTJ
11-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Don't know about the 450's, Except I would have a full LRD if I had one. With all the company's that are race geared, Im pretty sure yosh is the last on the list. Really comes down to what ever floats you're boat. All parts have different reactions, Sounds etc and you run what you like.

CJM
11-12-2013, 02:18 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Rc8k_D3yYoE/Tw4IyOKMysI/AAAAAAAAAls/awgasVzJMfA/s320/Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

DragonGunner
11-12-2013, 02:46 PM
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz219/61chalk/7c10acf4_zps0c0d69d2.jpg (http://s829.photobucket.com/user/61chalk/media/7c10acf4_zps0c0d69d2.jpg.html)

I like CT.

Zakradu398
11-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Can you like posts here ? cause I LOLd

400man
11-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Can you like posts here ? cause I LOLd

HAAA! Same here! And I know whats gonna happen next!

CJM
11-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Id very much enjoy the fact we could like/not like posts. I think it should be a forum upgrade if possible.

Zakradu398
11-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Id very much enjoy the fact we could like/not like posts. I think it should be a forum upgrade if possible.

I suggested it when they asked what we wanted but nothing ever came about, I never got a reply..

Stickman400
11-13-2013, 12:51 AM
I think they said it's possible on these new forums, but they have to get all the little bugs worked out first. Then they'll start playing with the settings.:blah:

Zakradu398
11-13-2013, 05:11 AM
I think they said it's possible on these new forums, but they have to get all the little bugs worked out first. Then they'll start playing with the settings.:blah:

It is extremely easy and there is no bugs to it, they're just lazy...

ben300
11-13-2013, 05:39 AM
In before the lock:cool:

i have an HMF slip on on my 400, and while i dont think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, it gets the job done and the build quality and finish is good. the only think i can say thouhg is that the actually "pipe" portion of teh slip on will bend like a wet noodle if you get rear ended or similar. i would love to go out and have a nice sparks or ct racing full exhaust, but i dont really feel like spending the money on something, that due to the engine design, really isnt going to make that much of a difference.

now about hmf on 450's. i dont know about other brands (yamaha, kaw, suzuki), but i have heard more frequently as of late, of the head pipes blowing out on the 06+ trx's. i believe this is why alot of the SICC racing guys have swtiched to yosh pipes. if i had a 450, i myself would run dasa....just personal preference.

zyoung04
11-13-2013, 06:47 AM
I always liked the motoworks. Had a good friend who had a HMF and it fell apart not long after he had it. We called it Frankenstein cuz he was to tight to buy a new one and just kept shortening it and adding rivets. I like them but I prefer Dasa or Rossier

2001400exrida
11-13-2013, 07:17 AM
The Rossier is a great pipe for the 450's too. Only problem i see with those is they tend to lose their packing pretty quickly. If i had to rate my top 5 trx450 exhausts taking all factors into consideration it would go Sparks, HMF, Dasa, Rossier, and ESR. I haven't tried the other brands, i did have a yoshi on my street bike and that pipe was perfect for the 600cc application, but the only thing that gets me with the yoshi's is that they don't put up very impressive numbers on the 450's. Might be a decent woods pipe, but for all out power the yosh is lacking from what i've seen.

400man
11-13-2013, 07:42 AM
The Rossier is a great pipe for the 450's too. Only problem i see with those is they tend to lose their packing pretty quickly. If i had to rate my top 5 trx450 exhausts taking all factors into consideration it would go Sparks, HMF, Dasa, Rossier, and ESR. I haven't tried the other brands, i did have a yoshi on my street bike and that pipe was perfect for the 600cc application, but the only thing that gets me with the yoshi's is that they don't put up very impressive numbers on the 450's. Might be a decent woods pipe, but for all out power the yosh is lacking from what i've seen.

I remember several years ago at a race I seen a Honda 450r with a rossier pipe and it was one of the louder pipes that caught my ear, it had such a awesome tone and I loved that little end cap how it had a real short, sharply curved end and it was just a simple looking exhaust.

blacknblue#2
11-13-2013, 07:47 AM
I always liked the motoworks. Had a good friend who had a HMF and it fell apart not long after he had it. We called it Frankenstein cuz he was to tight to buy a new one and just kept shortening it and adding rivets. I like them but I prefer Dasa or Rossier

FRANKENSTEIN!!! after 1 year of hard MX. One loud annoying piece of chit. It was on a differnt quad mainly. We just thru it on this P.O.S cause they matched eachother well.....Both JUNK haha. Ive had Motoworks, Dasa, Yosh, HMF, Big Gun. I race MX and ride trails. the 2 or 3 HP difference aint something i can say has ever effected me in a scene thats 75% rider. Im currently running Yosh on my rides and if i have the change to spare next time i buy exhaust thats what ill be going back with..

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/003-29.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/aerospac/media/003-29.jpg.html)

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/002-32.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/aerospac/media/002-32.jpg.html)

2001400exrida
11-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Maintain the canister and it should never look like the one pictured above. I don't know what happened to that, but hey when all else fails make a shorty! My buddy has a rossier that got cut down and whoever tried to rivet the thing just butchered the job, it's got holes all over.

somebody pass me the corn since this thread went flying as soon as the popcorn gif was posted. butter please!

i was rather enjoying the discussion on exhausts and different brands, i think everybody has an opinion and it's great to hear what some people think. Don't take offense when i challenge certain statements, all i ask for is some sort of proof. Opinions are always best offered when there's real world experience to back it up. I know that can be hard, but if ya make a claim you should at least attempt to back it up right fellas?

Has anybody run the lexx slip on for the 400's? I had one on my 07 and it held up good for 2 years, wasn't exactly a perfect fitment and did require some silicone to seal up where the slip on meets the stock header, but i thought it was a good sounding/performing pipe. When it comes to the 400's running the stock header, the slip ons don't really show a big difference in performance. with slip ons it's 100% fit and finish and sound.....performance comes with head pipes.

cheater13
11-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Maintain the canister and it should never look like the one pictured above. I don't know what happened to that, but hey when all else fails make a shorty! My buddy has a rossier that got cut down and whoever tried to rivet the thing just butchered the job, it's got holes all over.

somebody pass me the corn since this thread went flying as soon as the popcorn gif was posted. butter please!

i was rather enjoying the discussion on exhausts and different brands, i think everybody has an opinion and it's great to hear what some people think. Don't take offense when i challenge certain statements, all i ask for is some sort of proof. Opinions are always best offered when there's real world experience to back it up. I know that can be hard, but if ya make a claim you should at least attempt to back it up right fellas?

Has anybody run the lexx slip on for the 400's? I had one on my 07 and it held up good for 2 years, wasn't exactly a perfect fitment and did require some silicone to seal up where the slip on meets the stock header, but i thought it was a good sounding/performing pipe. When it comes to the 400's running the stock header, the slip ons don't really show a big difference in performance. with slip ons it's 100% fit and finish and sound.....performance comes with head pipes.

My buddy has one on his 01 (I think) 400ex. It sounds pretty good too for the price of it. I just don't really care much for the look of it.

2001400exrida
11-13-2013, 10:59 AM
^^they do have quite the fugly tip.

zyoung04
11-13-2013, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=2001400exrida;4354428]Maintain the canister and it should never look like the one pictured above. I don't know what happened to that, but hey when all else fails make a shorty! My buddy has a rossier that got cut down and whoever tried to rivet the thing just butchered the job, it's got holes all over

.[/QUOTE/]

How do u maintain it when the brake rotor mashes half of it? If u knew the guy that owned u would know why it got mashed. He was about 6'4" and weighed 320+ and WAS NOT scared to jump anything. And before anything is said he was a on elka shocks all the way around valved for him. I hate when ppl try to act like other don't take care of their stuff. That wasn't his quad the exhaust ended up on another quad......he kept his spotless at all times. He had a Eddie Sanders pipe after this one mashed it and fixed it and it never fell apart like this one did.

blacknblue#2
11-13-2013, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=2001400exrida;4354428]Maintain the canister and it should never look like the one pictured above. I don't know what happened to that, but hey when all else fails make a shorty! My buddy has a rossier that got cut down and whoever tried to rivet the thing just butchered the job, it's got holes all over

.[/QUOTE/]
Agreed i rode with the guy every weekend he was a beast. The rivets ended up wallering out after a couple months from brand new and he was forced to shorten it. The canister wallered out so bad that no rivet would swell enough to tighten the assembly up again. The exhaust sounded good....BEFORE the shortening lol
How do u maintain it when the brake rotor mashes half of it? If u knew the guy that owned u would know why it got mashed. He was about 6'4" and weighed 320+ and WAS NOT scared to jump anything. And before anything is said he was a on elka shocks all the way around valved for him. I hate when ppl try to act like other don't take care of their stuff. That wasn't his quad the exhaust ended up on another quad......he kept his spotless at all times. He had a Eddie Sanders pipe after this one mashed it and fixed it and it never fell apart like this one did.

2001400exrida
11-13-2013, 01:43 PM
sorry fellas but a 320lb guy smashing the exhaust into the brake caliper has literally nothing to do with the quality of the exhaust. if it wasn't an hmf on there any other pipe would have mashed just the same. I understand some of you are saying the rivets fell out after a few months, that's unfortunate and the first time i've heard of this, was htis before or after the thing got munched from 320lbs of beast? Funny how things turn around completely. I've seen every exhaust ever made get that normal dent and sometimes a big smash from bottoming out the suspension.

I ran a sparks with a lowering link and my quad squatted big time with my fat butt on it going around the TT and FT tracks (no huge jumps to bottom out on), and it never hit. THe HMF i have now is luckily skinny enough since it's the oval design that even if with my quad sitting 3" lower it can't hit the caliper.

quadmanw
11-14-2013, 10:51 AM
I've had my motoworks for 4 or 5 years now. I think it's a great pipe. I've never repackage it once, I'm sure I should but I love the sound and just don't have the time. It's ashame they're pretty much done with production. When they first came out they were about $300 and that's what I paid... Lol. In my opinion it was worth every penny.

quadmanw
11-14-2013, 10:57 AM
1718106022 Not too bad looking either. I've always wanted to make it a shorty

HondaRacing83
11-14-2013, 06:24 PM
My buddies hmf header cracked on his yfz in like a week. I hate hmf's. I'm really quite fond of FMF's thatll be my next pipe if i cant get my hands on a curtis sparks or a ct

Stickman400
11-15-2013, 12:33 AM
I'm another guy that hasn't had an issue with my HMF. I've got quite a few friends with them also and they are all fine. I've torn the chite out of other pipes but my HMF is holding up good. I will say that Big Gun pipes used to be damn good, but their R&D department has been slacking or something because the last 2 I got from them didn't fit worth a crap and fell apart after a couple months. Deff. not worth a damn nowadays.

cheater13
11-15-2013, 07:20 AM
My buddies hmf header cracked on his yfz in like a week. I hate hmf's. I'm really quite fond of FMF's thatll be my next pipe if i cant get my hands on a curtis sparks or a ct

Where can you get a CT pipe now adays? I hear of people putting them on their drag bikes sometimes.

ben300
11-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Where can you get a CT pipe now adays? I hear of people putting them on their drag bikes sometimes.

http://www.ctracing.com/trx400ex1.htm

2001400exrida
11-15-2013, 07:51 AM

In the trx450r and the yfz450 world, when it comes to ful systems, the fmf pipes are absolutely the worst performing pipe you can possibly get. They're fine for slip ons and i'm sure the powerbombs are ok on the 400's or whatever, but all i ever see on for the 450's is bad bad bad.

ben300
11-15-2013, 08:30 AM
In the trx450r and the yfz450 world, when it comes to ful systems, the fmf pipes are absolutely the worst performing pipe you can possibly get. They're fine for slip ons and i'm sure the powerbombs are ok on the 400's or whatever, but all i ever see on for the 450's is bad bad bad.

lots of guys in the gncc crowd run them. they're faily popular....

chronicsmoke
11-15-2013, 08:35 AM
I've heard FMF is **** but they are around and are ran by the top pros in MX (i know sponsorshop money talks and all that)

I know they don't compare to Dasa or Sparks or Rossier on the 450r for all out power but that doesn't necessarily mean they are the worst pipe, they could potentially make good power at mid rang where a woods type rider would need it to be..

2001400exrida
11-15-2013, 08:44 AM
You can bet those sponsored riders running FMF probably aren't running the same one you go buy on ebay or at motorsport.com Yeah they're definitely popular it's all i see on the dirtbikes running MX even the 2 strokes that's what many run. But from what i can tell and have read for the 450's they really don't do much to boost performance. I do like the sound of them though.

cheater13
11-15-2013, 09:11 AM
http://www.ctracing.com/trx400ex1.htm

Dang, for that money I would just get a full Curtis Sparks system...

I guess I'll stick to a shorty or go HMF if the shorty don't cut it.

RNL
11-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Dang, for that money I would just get a full Curtis Sparks system...

I guess I'll stick to a shorty or go HMF if the shorty don't cut it.

I'm willing to bet a CT doesnt give up much, if any to a Sparks. Plus the CT is adjustable with the discs.