PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Honda 300ex *New to Forum* Runs abnormal operation?

irishhawk81
11-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Hopefully I will get a little insight on this particular topic or I may not need it.

So about a week ago I picked up a 1996 Honda 300ex located here in Southern California. Original owner was very pleasant and although my visit with him was short I knew the quad was worth his asking price. Tried to talk him down to $600 but I walked away paying $800. I don't think was a bad price considering the bike ran and started right up after had been sitting for almost two years. Plastics not the best but if I really care about that I could always replace them for a decent price! :( LOL.

Aftermarket parts: White Brothers Slip on, K&N Air Filter (Air Box Cover not removed)

Took that air box apart to find that the box was very dirty and judging by that it was very clear it had been ridden in the desert plus it came with two sets of tires and one of those sets being paddles. (Obvious) I cleaned up the filter, washing it down, letting it air dry completely and cleaned the air filter sheath along with air box. I attempted to start the bike and it would run, idled with choke on, however when it warmed up which it seemed to warm up fast I took choke off. I gave it throttle and it didn't seem to be very responsive at times. Also backfired quite often so I knew right away even though I could ride it the carburetor needed removed so I could clean in thoroughly.

By the way I asked previous owner if he had jetted the carburetor after putting that air filter on and exhaust slip on and he said yes. Well maybe he misunderstood me but that was not true. The quad was running a 122 Main jet and (Stock) and Pilot Jet 38 (Stock) as well. Was unable to remove needle and check its height because the screws holding the plate on the sleeve were stripped which at a later date I will fix that. Assuming someone had tried to adjust that I don’t know.

I went to Honda dealer locally and picked up a higher main jet, stock was running a 122 but now it has a 132. Pilot jet was dirty so I soaked that for about 45 minutes and cleaned it thoroughly. I cleaned the carburetor real good with cleaner and blowing all ports and holes with air compressor. Installed everything back on the bike and with fresh high octane gas it fired right up with choke on.

I apologize in advance for all the details prior to my actual question in hand.

Question: After all that was done the bike started up, choke was on and it idled low but the idle screw was almost all the way in which increases idle or should. If you back it out the idle goes down "normal."? However, after bike warmed up I took choke down about half way and idle increased a lot! Not to the point of a over rev! But it was significantly high! I eventually adjusted choke to full off position meaning all the way down and I adjusted idle to "by sounds of ear" a good idle. I throttled up on throttle and it took the gas with no problems and runs sweet!!

Now this may sound awkward but if I try to put choke back on the bike idles super low almost to the point of stall. Is this normal? So basically if I cold start the quad with choke on it will idle very low but it will idle. I ask because I'm used to a quad where when choke is on the idle is high and when you turn choke off the idle goes down to a perfect idle. What could be the cause of this? Many people say unless it’s cold out you really don't need a choke and being in California at this time I probably don't need it. However, I wanted to make sure that was normal or do I need to adjust something still?

irishhawk81
11-07-2013, 01:24 PM
My other question would be now the bike seemed to bog down a little at higher RPM's would this indicate too high of a Main Jet? Going from a 122 to a 132 be too much for it considering my after market upgrades? I might try to put back the 122 main jet and see how that affects it but before I do so I wanted to ask instead of wasting my time.

My air/fuel mixture screw is set at 2 1/4 turns out from all the way turned in is that too much as well?

irishhawk81
11-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Well I have found my answers maybe another source! It appears that there is not much acitivity around here or maybe just specifically for the older quads. Thanks all and if you happen to read my thread and want to chime in feel free I will still be around to ask more questions later.