PDA

View Full Version : Question about Exhaust pipes off the engine getting hot quick

syixstring
11-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Hello All,

Now that summer is over and the snow is about to fly i got my timing chain and tensioner replaced... it was hard... i had ALOT of struggles with things going wrong ... i have everything back together... i have it timed and valves adjusted... it starts up BUT ... it is hard to keep it idling... which has always been kind of a problem... I havent noticed any ticking while it did idle for the 5 seconds it did lol... the big problem i have now is the exhaust pipes right off the engine get SUPER HOT in a mere 10 seconds upon starting it.... i mean hot to the point where i can spit at em and it sizzles.... anyone have any suggestions... like i said it sounds like it did before minus the knock... but im just having troubles with this hot exhaust pipe... thanks all so much for your help!

Thumpin440ex
11-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Did you adjust the valves to the correct spec? Sounds like a tight valve.

John

i973eat1
11-06-2013, 10:23 PM
What do you mean they are getting super hot? You have to realize that the exhaust gasses leaving the engine are going to be 500*-600*F, so it is going to be hot, even on a stock bike.

Stickman400
11-07-2013, 12:20 AM
What do you mean they are getting super hot? You have to realize that the exhaust gasses leaving the engine are going to be 500*-600*F, so it is going to be hot, even on a stock bike.

This, and it's going to get hot extremely fast.

Thumpin440ex
11-07-2013, 12:48 AM
I think he is saying it is getting much hotter then before..

John

LxMxL97
11-07-2013, 05:47 AM
I would check the valves first and if it's a stock bike it's .004 intake and .005 exhaust then if that's not it check your air filter if they are super dirty the header will glow red and it will shoot flames out the exhaust

2001400exrida
11-07-2013, 07:35 AM
hot exhaust is normal, spit on any header come right out of the head and it'll sizzle. glowing red is kind of normal for a couple inches. The first thing i would look at if you're having trouble idling and the header is getting red hot is your pilot jet. try going up a size and it should help with cold starts as well as your overly hot header.