PDA

View Full Version : 250r reliability?

Redtail
11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on how reliable and maintenance prone a 250r would be. Considering buying one here locally to race a local XC series. How long will a top end last and how expensive is it to replace? Is there anything else to be concerned with involving the engine? I have a 2008 trx250ex right now and was looking to upgrade either to a 400ex or a 250r. Thanks

DnB_racing
11-06-2013, 05:37 PM
considering that there are litterally thousands of 27 year old quads that have never been apart....i would say they are probably one of the most reliable quads ever built...

that being said, if you do need parts consider that many parts are discontuied

450madman
11-07-2013, 09:19 PM
My dads 86 ATC250R had never been apart in the 20+ years he has owned it. Still has 175 psi compression on the stock rings with CR head gasket. My 86 TRX250R is running strong in the high 50 rwhp range. Parts are cheap in comparison to the 4 strokes when you tear into the top end.

quadmad
11-10-2013, 02:40 AM
I ride in the woods and never have to fix anything. But it's all about prep before you go riding if everything is good before you start riding the R won't let you down. Best quad ever.

Honda 250r 001
11-11-2013, 07:20 PM
2-strokes are just so much more simple than 4 strokes, the 250r, such a legend in the racing/trail/ anything category of atv's, its known its a solid quad with very few weak points. It has fewer, simpler components, common sense would lead you to think its probably more reliable, and its true!

For example, you have carb troubles on your 450. So you start to pull the carb off, you have to unbolt plastic, completely remove air box, fuel tank and the damn plastic shield of death under the fuel tank which has all sorts of wires and lines running through it, then you get down to the carb which still isint the easiest to remove at this point. You start with a carb that has an accelerator pump and electrical sensors, you cant even get the throttle cable off witout having to remove screws and a side cover! and is difficult to jet installed on the bike. Then, you get it all back together, and it still wont start, so you move to the valves that could need adjusting.
The carburetor is extremely simple on a 2-stroke, you can jet it with it on the bike, literally can remove it without even taking the plastic off, which only takes approximately 10 seconds to remove, even on a bad day. And its just plain simpler, if the float functions properly and its clean, it will run.

Valves, oh the dreaded 4-stroke valves. Very touchy to adjustment, bikes get hard to start when the valves are out of adjustment, don't even get me started on valve adjusting.
Of course on a 250r, it has a simple, non adjustable, virtually indestructible reed valve.

Starters, 4-strokes, you have a starter clutch, starter, and battery, ALL WHICH WILL NEED REPLACED atleast once if you plan to own the bike for more than a few years. and it only gets worse with high compression, starting in gear, and racing.
2-strokes have a kick starter, which is virtually indestructible and should literally never need servicing.

Those are just a few of the frustrating things ive ran into from working on buddies 4-strokes.

I wouldn't be nervous about getting parts. ESR is one hell of a company. I don't care what people say about them, wether or not they have flaws every once in a while with their new production parts, ESR is the ****. And because they have shown such aggressive interest in the 250r like they have lately, they are my go to company for parts. It takes one hell of a company and dedication to begin spending the money to create engine cases, cylinders, exhaust pipes, clutch covers, and all the aluminum cool parts you could ever dream of, from scratch, for a 25 year old legendary quad.

Now don't get me wrong, if you go buy a brand new 450r, and go buy a 25 year old used 250r, that isint in prestine condition and been beat to hell since it was new, obviously the 450r will prevail. But if you find a nice 250r, or if you completely go through a 250r, taking no short cuts. The 250r will be rock solid for years to come with general, simple maintenance. And it will look good, feel good, and perform amazing.

Plus, Its always cool to keep the 4-stroke guys in their place on the race track :cool:

Hope this helps.