PDA

View Full Version : How to get the tick to go away

LxMxL97
11-04-2013, 07:33 AM
I've got a 2005 400ex with a je 416 10.8-1 stage 2 hot cam and I hate the tick it makes my bales are all adjusted I've read that hot cams make the 400s tick but is there another cam out there that I can buy that won't make it tick

CJM
11-04-2013, 07:50 AM
They all tick, its nothing to worry about.

OZ-T
11-04-2013, 07:56 AM
I test rode a new one not long ago and even it ticked, it is all normal for the way they run.

cheater13
11-04-2013, 08:35 AM
It's normal for them to tick. Get a cam and they'll tick louder.

2001400exrida
11-04-2013, 08:39 AM
some do some don't. It's definitely not something that you should worry about because the tick is mostly normal. but my old 426cc with a stage 2 cam is much quieter than my 07 was and the 07 ran stock cam. I really think it depends on timing chain condition....cam, valve settings, and several other things. Some tick more than others, but if it's just a slight tick that is the normal tick.

I've seen way to many times where people complain of a tick and then they read everything that sys it's normal, next thing you know they've got a motor problem because their cam chain or tensioner failed. Or because they ran valves out of spec for too long.

Basically, you need to be able to tell one tic vs another tic, but just remember they don't all tick and some do more than others. If it's running good, and the only tick you have is the slight tick at idle, you're fine.

LxMxL97
11-04-2013, 06:13 PM
when I put the new piston and cam in I also put a new chain and tensioner in and after break in the motor only has 2 races on it so that stuff should be good and ive read everywhere that they tick and I understand that's how they are made but it just drives me crazy I feel like im riding around on a bomb

cheater13
11-05-2013, 10:16 AM
when I put the new piston and cam in I also put a new chain and tensioner in and after break in the motor only has 2 races on it so that stuff should be good and ive read everywhere that they tick and I understand that's how they are made but it just drives me crazy I feel like im riding around on a bomb

You'll get used to it. :)

As long as it isn't a "piston slapping against the cylinder" noise, you'll be fine. But I would check your valves just to be on the safe side.