PDA

View Full Version : best 250r upgrades on a budjet

JACK STRAW
11-03-2013, 07:02 PM
my son has a trx 250r with a 1989 bottom end with a weisco long rod crank, and a 1987 ported top end with a stock bore.it has a FMF fatty sst, and stock carb. compression is 170 and has a weisco piston. it has stock sprocket combinations and running stock 400ex rear tires and rims. he can keep up with a stock 450r but racing a worked 450r he falls short. what are the best upgrades to start with without breaking the bank. carb ,ignition, pipe?????????????? thanks

sand_blaster
11-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Although very expensive upgrading to a cr ign would do wonders. You could try a esr trx5 & maybe a esr head/cool head are other upgrades.

sand_blaster
11-05-2013, 10:02 PM
You could do this stage one kit also
http://www.eddie-sanders-racing.com/product_p/stage%20i%20power%20kit.htm

profab250R
11-05-2013, 11:06 PM
The stage one would be a good starting point. ESR has some great deals on new items, however, you might find some great deals on some well taken care of used items on here and the other 250r forum. I got a 40.5 mm carb for $150 with one trip on it. I also scored a trx5 pipe by doing sou,ping up the compression and making sure the engine is ported for the power levels and power range necessary for the type of racing he is doing is the most important thing to consider. There is no point in running a 525 saber tooth on a MX track because he would never use the power and the power would likely be way higher in the range than what he needs. ESR's 310 kit is also an excellent upgrade. Purchase the kit unported and have your favorite engine builder port the cylinder. I recommend Neil over on the other forum he ported my engine for an AWESOME price and did the best porting job I have ever seen! 450Rs with worked engines can not keep up through the dunes or up the hill.

rk88r
11-07-2013, 01:30 PM
If you can inspect or replace the wiseco crank. They have been known to throw the tins off and make a big mess.

quadmad
11-10-2013, 02:48 AM
310 kit is the best thing ever.

Honda 250r 001
11-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Tightening squish and running race fuel would bump up the HP. Dumping the fuel to her with a 38mm or larger carburetor jetted correctly will make a big difference along with a big, clean open air filter to get that carburetor the air it needs. A ESR Reed valve also helps with throttle responce and get more air to that thirsty beast. Getting rid of that FMF pipe and bolting on a ESR trx 9 pipe will probably make the biggest difference, as will properly re packing the exhaust.

Now those are all responces as to being short on engine horse power. The fault I find in falling short to the 450's also, is flat getting the power to the ground. having suspension set up properly for weight and having a set of good tires on the back helps get all that 2-stroke power to the ground.:devil:

JACK STRAW
11-12-2013, 04:29 PM
i forgot to add the bike has v force 3 reeds

wilkin250r
11-15-2013, 07:11 PM
What kind of racing are we talking about?

The 250r was a great machine in it's timeframe, but suspension technology has improve significantly since then. If you're running the stock suspension, and racing anything other than drag racing, then suspension upgrades will definitely be your biggest bang for the buck.

JACK STRAW
11-16-2013, 06:38 PM
the racing they do are on short tracks with jumps about 75' .nothing regulated. we do need some suspension upgrades. the only suspension upgrade we have is works triple rate shocks on stock arms. they came with the bike