PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to do? handeling.

jarfly
11-03-2013, 06:08 PM
So my ex suspension is bone stock. I'm about 120-130lbs. So any how I'v got it screaming with the power of the 440. But I can not really run it that fast. It fills way to top heavy, I'v got the shocks on lowest setting in the front. bak is about mid way. So any how, from some of my other post some have seen i'm going to attempt some a arms. I know I want lower and wider. The 21" tires I have will help me get it lower.
So i'm going +2 wide on the arms for sure, but what has me is the placement on the shocks. I have read if I move them more inward to the frame it will change the leverage point and letting the shock fill more softer. All so have read if I move the shock mount up 1" it will give the quad a more 250R filling (loved the way my 86 was and it had stock ex shocks). Any input would be great. Allso if someone has some aftermarket arms that don't mind takeing a tape line and a angel finder to them for me I would gladly thank them.
Allso on a side note, I'm wanting to use a heim style end for a ball joint any imput on this?

81dasher81
11-04-2013, 02:02 PM
i built my own +2 a arms as well.. a good rule of thumb for stock length shocks is a 2:1 ratio between the wheel travel and shock travel. basically the shock will go half way between the pivot points on the frame and ball joint, which will also give you the lower stance you are looking for.

i also used the heim joint style for a ball joint, i bought mine off ebay, they're replacements for the american star a-arms (made by american star), you can also get them from their website.

i would also recommend using heims for the upper a arms where they pivot on the frame, midwest control has the best prices i've seen.

LxMxL97
11-04-2013, 06:21 PM
if I were to buy new suspension today I would get +2 houser a arms with some 4:1 offset front wheels to bring the width back in and then for a front shocks I would get fox floats evols and for a rear shock I would get an elka keep the stock swing arm and use either a gt thunder rear link or a elka link and if the front shocks are too pricy another great shock is the gt thunder hls