PDA

View Full Version : New guy questions about 05 DS90 2 strokes

yathump
11-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Been on dirtbikes all my life, just wondering about the reliability of these little quads and if parts are readily available, i have the opportunity to pick up 2 of these this coming Sat. and is there anything i should be looking at, common problems, etc. Wondering how trust worthy the oil injection systems are or should i convert to premix, also any performance companies out there
Any and all info will be appreciated
Thank you for your time

Matt150
11-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Parts are available for them DRR, Apex, Aeon, Adly, Dinly, all have the same basic engine. Not everything will interchange but a quite a bit will. The oil injection is fairly reliable. A lot of guys if they race them switch to premix. Lots of performance to be found, the downside to them is the single a-arm front suspension.
Things to look for are cracked or bent swingarm or cracked frame. Weak spark or weak compression

yathump
11-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Awesome, thanks for the response, they will be the kids 1st quads so performance will be fine for a while i'm sure until they get the control down

Matt150
11-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Hope they have fun. That's the best part of my job, to see a kids face light up when they get their first quad.

yathump
11-02-2013, 05:50 AM
Does someone make a kit to eliminate the oil injection system, also is there a way to get rid of the electronic choke on these machines cause i plan on just useing the kickstart and removeing the battery so wont the electronic choke be choked all the time with no power?

ndarone
02-17-2014, 05:36 PM
I think I saw a kit somewhere.

It is really easy to do. Just remove oil tank, oil hose, cut the throttle cable where it goes into the injector, try to cut the cable clean, then seal up so no water gets in, remove two small phillips screws on the front of the injector. remove two screws that hold the injector into the case, make a plate out of aluminum to cover the front of the injector (1/8 inch piece 2" x 2" is all you need, use the pump as a template because the plate needs to be a good fit or it will hit the cylinder) , drill holes in the new plate (hold the plate on the injector using a very small drill bit by hand insert into the holes in the pump and mark the holes), use silicone gasket and screw the plate on the front of the injector (using the small screws that you removed). remove the c clip holding the gear on the back of the injector, remove the gear. seal off the 2 brass male hose ends with silicone, or use a piece of tubing bend it over and zip tie it shut. re-install, run pre mix. It looks like a lot, but you should be able to do one in 1hr or less.

If you ask me this should be the first thing that should be done to these motors. I have never seen one running correctly with the injector hooked up 90% are way too rich, the other 10% were too lean (either locked up, or about to be.

The electronic choke will function without the battery.