PDA

View Full Version : 04/05 FCR install bored for power!

2001400exrida
10-30-2013, 09:03 AM
This site needs some more tech threads so I figured i'd start a quick one.

I recently picked up a yfz 39mm FCR carb. It has the hot start and the throttle with it.

For the guys who have done this....will i be able to keep that hot start or install my current hotstart from my 05 450r? Also, can i use the 05 throttle with this carb too? TPS i'm just going to leave unplugged.

I'm planning to remove the airbox completely and will have this carb bored by sredrum. He has the best prices when it comes to the 42.5mm bore on this carb. I run TT and FT so i'm not going to go huge with the bore, my builder says 42.55 should be plenty. What adapters, if any will i need if i plan to run the stock 05 intake? Would it be easier to just use a 06 intake? do i need the dasa ring or anything to get a filter on this intake and carb appropriately.

Thanks in advance, this is my first time running a bored carb on the 05 model so i'm hoping to get some gains.

ghott
10-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Your stock hot start and throttle cable will be plug and play on the FCR. Just remove the stuff that came with the carb and install the cables that are already on the bike. Make sure you install and adjust the throttle cable such that it allows the slide to close all the way and so that the throttle will open the FCR slide all the way.

If you're planning on removing the air box completely, you'll need to come up with some sort of mounting system to keep your intake from flopping around (and possibly off the carb bell). Depending on what intake/mounting system you settle on, you may or may not need a NOSS/DASA adapter on the carb. If you decide to go with an adapter, buy one and send it with the carb so its installed and bored to match.

My suggestion on the intake/airbox/carb setup: Get a NOSS/DASA adapter for the carb. Use the 04/05 intake and airbox setup, but cut away the air box except for where it mounts to the subframe. IMO, this is the most cost effective, easiest, most user friendly setup; and will keep your A/F curve nice and flat.

FYI Sredrum is slowing down on the amount of work he is taking. His pricing is also going up (42.5mm will be $150) and his turnaround time is now 2 - 4 weeks. If you're looking for an alternative, there are several other shops, including Racers Edge AZ that also do great boring work on carbs.

2001400exrida
10-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks Gary!

Yeah Sredrum messaged me back and said he's slowing down, but the other shops want $300 for the dang 42.55 mm. Good thing is, i've got all winter to get this done, the bike is going into build mode.

I'll have to check with some of the guys and see how they're mounting their intakes so they aren't loose and bouncing around. If it's a real pain maybe i'll just cut the bottom of the box out and keep the mounting tabs for the top to hold things in place.

Good to know about the throttle and hot start hookups. I will be sure that the throttle is installed appropriately. I've made the mistake before where i replaced the throttle cable and twisted the cable so that when it started i was at like half throttle....not a nice suprise. Best way i can find is to untwist it at the handle bars so that there is very little resistance on throttle.

thanks again man.

2001400exrida
10-31-2013, 08:01 AM
anybody know if the noss adapter or the dasa ring is a better option to get this to go onto my 05 boot?

i thought about using an 06+ boot because then it will just hook right up, but I think keeping the 05 boot and buying one of these adapters is best option.