PDA

View Full Version : Another "what quad" thread!

rf928
10-28-2013, 11:32 AM
So here is the deal, I have raced motocross for 9 years until dad's money cut off, bought a dirt bike and now I want to get back into riding a quad.

I live on a farm up here in Alberta, and my dad and I ride all year long. We each have KTM dual sports (me a 350, him a 690) and ride forest roads and some single track in the warm months. In the winter, we ride the frozen river for miles and miles, and I pile snow with the tractor to form a sweet motocross track for the quad.

I am for sure going to buy myself a YFZ450R, wether it is a 2014 or used we will see. He rides a 2008 YFZ450, and had a question for me the other day. He seems to need to go faster than me all the time (hence why he has a 690) so with me planning on buying a new 450 he is a little curious if his can keep in front. I have heard the EFI 450R lacks HP compared to the 08, but after a few mods on my end I plan on fixing that.

Now to the point. Would him trading off on a Raptor 700 be wise? With riding near wide open for hours top speed and torque is important, handling not as much. What is the real difference between the YFZ450 and Raptor 700? He really wants torque, the 690 has all he needs but he wants the same on a quad. We are also looking to buy a Grizzly 700, the old 660 is getting tired out. Is there much similarity between the Raptor and the Grizzly motors?

Second question, if he bought a 700 I have the option to buy his YFZ which could be a possibility. Would it be wise to spend $3000 more for a R? I am thinking it is, I rode his a few times on my track and am not a huge fan of the suspension and handling. I can already say I will spend $2500 on suspension where with the R I know I won't be.

Anyone who can provide any information please post, I am more than happy to hear from everyone or anyone.

zyoung04
10-29-2013, 02:35 AM
As far getting a yfzr I wasn't real impressed with mine in stock mode but after the normal 3 mods everyone does im happy as can be with it. As far as suspension wise u can't beat what yfzr has in stock form I don't believe, comparable to what the ktm came out with. I've hit 80-90' jumps and rode away feeling great. I wouldn't have even thought about that on my 06 before I bought my suspension.

Even if u did end up with his the stock yfzr front shocks will bolt up to the regular yfz. U can normally pick up a set of them for around 200-300. U would have to buy a rear shock of course their a lil different on the back porch.

I love my yfzr. I just hate that its starting to get cold and its gonna have to sit for the most part until next year haha.

cloudpump
10-29-2013, 11:39 AM
As far getting a yfzr I wasn't real impressed with mine in stock mode but after the normal 3 mods everyone does im happy as can be with it. As far as suspension wise u can't beat what yfzr has in stock form I don't believe, comparable to what the ktm came out with. I've hit 80-90' jumps and rode away feeling great. I wouldn't have even thought about that on my 06 before I bought my suspension.

Even if u did end up with his the stock yfzr front shocks will bolt up to the regular yfz. U can normally pick up a set of them for around 200-300. U would have to buy a rear shock of course their a lil different on the back porch.

I love my yfzr. I just hate that its starting to get cold and its gonna have to sit for the most part until next year haha.
Stock R shocks will not just bolt right up. Need to get longer A arms.

fastredrider44
10-29-2013, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't trade a yfz for a Raptor. What the YFZ lacks in power, it makes up for with suspension. I know you say you ride wide open a lot, but I still wouldn't do it. If you go out and buy a yfzr, I don't think he is going to panic that he only has a standard yfz when he compares the extra money that he would be out to get a new raptor or yfzr.

2001400exrida
10-29-2013, 01:30 PM
in stock trim and even with the big 3 mods, the yfz and yfzr's don't really lack power compared to the raptors. Now when it comes to building huge power, the raptors will take the cake, because after all, there is no replacement for displacement. as mentioned though the chassis and handling of the yfz is 10 times better than crapters.

rf928
10-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Yeah that's where we're at, we ride the dunes in the states every now and then and the suspension of what he has outweighs the power of the raptor. Like he said we don't run out of power, we run out of nerve lol. I sat on a 700 yesterday and really didn't like it, it feels tippy but the kind of tippy you aren't bringing back

CJM
10-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Raptor is the worst handling quad I have ever ridden. Friend of mine has bot an extend axle and +2 arms, shocks, you name it-still handles bad.

zyoung04
10-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Stock R shocks will not just bolt right up. Need to get longer A arms.

I didn't know if he knew this already or not. But yea this is right but still a lot cheaper than goin all aftermarket unless that's the route u wanted to take.